Tenant's frequent unjustified complaints- how to avoid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant's frequent unjustified complaints- how to avoid?

Hi everyone,

First time on this so please excuse the mistakes.

I have had a tenant for the last eight months on a 12 month AST contract and she has managed to get my personal details from the letting agent. Not normally a problem only she is ringing me up to complain almost every week and she will not talk to the agent. As I am paying for a fully managed service I am frustrated at the situation I have been left in.

The tenant is heavily pregnant and after three months from becoming pregnant informed me of such and complained there was no shower in the flat and the hoover didn't work. I pointed out that there was never a shower in the flat when she rented it three months earlier and went round to the flat to show her how to empty the hoover back such that it worked. A week later the hoover mysteriously broke beyond repair and another phone call informed me of this as well as the council tax and electric bills being too high. I bought a brand new hoover to appease her and told her I could not do anything about her other complaints. The following week the heating was broken, I called an engineer out, £50 call out charge, to tell me nothing was wrong the tennant had turned the heating off at the mains (Economy 7 heating on a seperate circuit). Since then it has been a stream of complaints, including a broken bed, replaced a week later with a new one and now it is a washing machine that doesn't clean properly so she would like a new one. I suspect it will miraculously break next week!

Any suggestions on how to avoid more expense?

Thanks in advance!
    This is only my interpretation and I suspect I may be wrong

Originally posted by Reading_up View Post

I have had a tenant for the last eight months on a 12 month AST contract and she has managed to get my personal details from the letting agent.

As I am paying for a fully managed service I am frustrated at the situation I have been left in.

(1) Tell her she must deal with the agent and if she calls you again, then you will not discuss tenancy related matters with her.

(2) Give the agent a rocket for giving out your telephone number. You pay them to act as a firebreak between you and the tenant and they should not release such info to the tenant. Obviously, if the appropriate request is made, they have to give her your name and address, but not your phone number.

(3) Pregnant women can act quite strangely, so give her a chance to give birth and settle down a bit. However, if, following the LA addressing the matter with her, the problems continue and you are satisfied that there is something fishy going on, don't renew the tenancy and/or serve her with notice.
    Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

Thanks for the help and prompt response

Comment

Thats probably just wants she wants, notice to quit so that she can get a council house
        Please note i may be in pumpkin mode, the light might be on but i may not be here

Comment

Originally posted by cillitbanger View Post
          Thats probably just wants she wants, notice to quit so that she can get a council house
          Yes, that could well also be true, but at least give her the benefit of the doubt first......
          Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

Originally posted by agent46 View Post
            Yes, that could well also be true, but at least give her the benefit of the doubt first......
            I am hun, but also looking at the big picture
            Please note i may be in pumpkin mode, the light might be on but i may not be here

Comment

You could also say that all complaints must be IN WRITING or will not be actioned (unless a genuine emergency).
              All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Update

The washing machine has now miraculously broken and T would like a new one. The LA told her as T she could get a new machine as it was LL property and she should not replace. The difficulty is, that I am told I need to do this in 7 days.

Does anybody know the timescale I need to replace the broken items by?

Also I am able to reclaim the outstanding £50 to put towards the cost of the new washing machine.

Comment

I'd be serving notice on this tenant big time.

Comment

As a matter of interest, on what grounds could you serve notice?

Are the items genuinely broken, or is she flogging them on Ebay?

Comment

S21 as long as out of fixed term. No grounds necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by attilathelandlord View Post
                        S21 as long as out of fixed term. No grounds necessary.
                        This means s.21(4)(a) Notice. Be careful re dates inserted; such errors are the most common reason for Court's rejection of Notice's validity.
                        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by Reading_up View Post
                          Hi everyone,

First time on this so please excuse the mistakes.

I have had a tenant for the last eight months on a 12 month AST contract and she has managed to get my personal details from the letting agent. Not normally a problem only she is ringing me up to complain almost every week and she will not talk to the agent. As I am paying for a fully managed service I am frustrated at the situation I have been left in.

The tenant is heavily pregnant and after three months from becoming pregnant informed me of such and complained there was no shower in the flat and the hoover didn't work. I pointed out that there was never a shower in the flat when she rented it three months earlier and went round to the flat to show her how to empty the hoover back such that it worked. A week later the hoover mysteriously broke beyond repair and another phone call informed me of this as well as the council tax and electric bills being too high. I bought a brand new hoover to appease her and told her I could not do anything about her other complaints. The following week the heating was broken, I called an engineer out, £50 call out charge, to tell me nothing was wrong the tennant had turned the heating off at the mains (Economy 7 heating on a seperate circuit). Since then it has been a stream of complaints, including a broken bed, replaced a week later with a new one and now it is a washing machine that doesn't clean properly so she would like a new one. I suspect it will miraculously break next week!

Thanks in advance!
                          Pretty much the same as my tenant who I am now evicting via S21 process, I was given some great advice on here at the time (especially Surrey) give her a set of repair reporting guidlines on who and how she should report any repair issues (inform her that ALL repairs should be put in writing) then state how you will you respond.

I have a letter sent to my tenant at the time(let me know if you want me to email it to you), this had the desired effect.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Are they my lodgers or tenants?
                            by theartfullodger
                            Tenants. Moving back in won't change that.

How many occupants do you have please?
                            06-12-2021, 22:53 PM
                          • Are they my lodgers or tenants?
                            by Livingonaprayer
                            Hi all.
                            I bought a house, lived in it for a few months, then had friends ask me if they could move in as had to leave their property and were struggling to find somewhere with their dog. I agreed and drew up lodging agreement and they moved in.
                            Unfortunately our dogs did not get on, and...
                            06-12-2021, 20:46 PM
                          • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                            by AndrewDod
                            If that were so straightforwardly the case then I would easily be able to a secure a tenancy for my friend's daughter (D) who has zero credit rating, and zero ability to pay rent.

I would take a 6M tenancy myself, immediately grant a 4 year tenancy at quarter my original rent to D, let...
                            06-12-2021, 21:53 PM
                          • Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                            by Bert1e
                            Hello, I have a question about my legal status in private rented accommodation.

I live in a private rented house. The entire house is rented from the landlord by one individual (let's call her Sara). Sara has a bedroom in the house and a lot of stuff in the cupboards all around the house....
                            28-11-2021, 12:13 PM
                          • Reply to Tenancy issues - No Deposit Scheme, demanding deposit back
                            by alice123
                            I'm sorry you are in this situation , from what i have heard from someone these 'no win no fee' type of 'solicitors' take a massive chunk out of any claim for their own fees , which would leave your tenant with rather less money that he/she would have anticipated.

One of the reasons why...
                            06-12-2021, 21:13 PM
                          • Tenancy issues - No Deposit Scheme, demanding deposit back
                            by llplug
                            I am a private landlord who has not put tenants deposit into Deposit scheme - I now understand the errors of my ways, put my hand up, my fault, been lax

Tenant has had a number of minor issues (sink drainage, plug not working, bedroom light not working) which I have made an effort to rectify,...
                            19-11-2021, 15:49 PM
                          • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                            by KTC
                            The term lawful here applies to private landlord. It's a term that does not just exist within the Housing Act 1988, but also Rent Act 1977, and probably other places. In this context, it basically means as the Shelter page summarised, did the mesne tenant have permission to sublet. That section of the...
                            06-12-2021, 21:11 PM
                          • Reply to Accelerated possession order
                            by Hudson01
                            This is a good point..... also, not wishing to tempt fate, but with the increase in Covid type restrictions is it beyond thinking that we may have another xmas ban on evictions ???? I do not believe it is needed but you know what the lefties are like....
                            06-12-2021, 21:01 PM
                          • Accelerated possession order
                            by Pariah81
                            A tenant has refused to leave the property at the end of her tenancy and has now asked to be evicted as in her words 'that will make her eligible for a council house'.

I am sending an accelerated possession order through the courts but whilst completed the forms noticed two apparent errors...
                            05-12-2021, 18:12 PM
                          • Reply to Accelerated possession order
                            by L4NDLORD
                            this is not a great time to try to get possession, I would recommend that you tolerate them a bit longer. The Judge is not going to be sympathetic and besides these cases are going to take a long time to come to Court.
                            06-12-2021, 20:55 PM
                          Working...
                          X