Selective License - Max Occupancy of One!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

> Big brother knows best. Try Newham for equal madness - I have a small two bed occupied by two sharers for 25 years, my selective licence says I can let to 6 !!!

It is n't entirely mad. They have allowed you 2 people per bedroom. They have allowed a living room to be used a bedroom. They should have said. Ideally 4 people, but maximum 6 people.

Lets, say you rent your property to a couple with two kids. If they happen to have a third child, then the license allows them to stay.

However, there is madness, in your case, if your two sharers, had a family member move in (or even a partner), then it would be 3 people and that would turn it into an HMO. It would be a breach of Selective License and you would need to apply for an HMO license. However, before you can do that, you would also need to apply for Planning Permission, to turn your home an HMO (They are in an area with Article 4 directive). Every Council has their own planning policy, so they may have a blanked bans on using homes as HMOs. Newham has a peculiar system, as they have BOTH Selective and Additional licensing (HMO) schemes.

Comment

Flashback1966,

40 something (yeah I know the something is kind of a big deal!). We actually went there today (in my case the first time for a couple of years). Still feels comfortable (if compact) for two. Still nothing from the councillor yet so no idea.

Basically screwed at the moment since it seems we can't sell it because most lenders ask for the ESW1 form (despite it being under 18m. Renting is obviously tricky too as we really need to just rent to an individual.

Meanwhile mortgage and bills start to rack up now with nothing coming in :/
      ​​​​​

Comment

Update just now, for the benefit of anyone else in this situation.. This has been changed to two people under one household now! Zero explanation as to why it was changed but there you go! So yeah, if anyone else is in this situation do challenge, you never know.

Comment

if the living/kitchen is quite a bit bigger than the bedroom, swap them round - a lounge (where bedroom is) and a bedroom/kitchen (where lounge/kitchen are)

tenant can always move them back (without you knowing)

Comment

Well done Chilibob. It sometimes pays to challenge

Comment

Originally posted by ChilliBob View Post
              Update just now, for the benefit of anyone else in this situation.. This has been changed to two people under one household now! Zero explanation as to why it was changed but there you go! So yeah, if anyone else is in this situation do challenge, you never know.
              Hi Chillibob! I am in the same situation in Dagenham too, although in my case they have deemed one room as suitable for someone under 10 only, when previously (ie last time we got the licence) it was fine for an adult, and the senior members of the licensing team are not responding to me. Which councillor did you get in touch with? What did you include in your note to them?

I agree in a housing crisis, how can they expect families to be kicked out?! They seem to have taken the HMO rules and applied them to the selective licence housing stock.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X