Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experience with TDS

Hi there,

I was wondering what your experience is with the TDS.

I have done everything right-had inventory check in/out, protected the deposit and rented out my property to what my Lettings Agent assured me were professional tenants in a high end property.

The inventory clerk noted that the property was filthy upon check out and needed another clean. When I went in, it was a bit of a horror show- scratched new hob, chipped bath, loose waste and chipped plug, they had hidden damage from the inventory clerk under a worktop saver -they put a pan onto the wooden worktop, chipped floor tiles and sink,damaged bathroom door.

Anything that they broke during the tenancy the lettings agent took their side eg they broke my shower and bath mixer within a couple of days of moving in at a cost of £500.

The agent is being really unhelpful as it’s been only a 12 month let and didn’t even wait for me to authorise the amount submitted to the TDS and just went ahead and did it, they didn’t even submit photos that show the damage we uncovered that they hid from the inventory clerk.

The cost to fix damage is £1200, they submitted £750 and say I am lucky to even get that amount as the tenants only want to pay £30 towards cleaning and that’s it.

They are also pressuring me to reduce the rent by £200 pcm when other agents say it is marketed at the right price.

Apart from changing agents which I know I need to do, am just shocked that this has even happened.

Any advice/experiences would be gratefully received.

Thank you

There are two separate issues, the amount claimed and the conduct of the agent.

The agent works for you and, if they don't take your side, don't do business with them.
    They might not be able to get what you want, but their job is to try to do what you want, not what they want.

I'd also formally complain about their conduct, giving details of what they did wrong and how it cost you money.

The amount you are able to claim is limited by the depreciated value of the items damaged, so it's possible they were right about the value, but any claim for a round number sounds a bit arbitrary.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X