Damp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damp

My friend has just found out she has damp, really bad damp.

She is three months into a 6 month tenancy -she has terminated her contract but still has to stay on for another 3 months

Problem is the damp - it was OK in month one because the landlord had painted over it and you couldnt see it (its a very old house)

The landlord has has three companies round to quote for damp work needing done to the property. He has also give my friend some de-humidifiers that constantly need emptying. She has been forced to move all her stuff into one of the bedrooms as she cant live/sleep in the other one.

1. What options does she have for terminating the AST early?
    2. If it is a private dwelling can she still contact the council (environmental health)?
    3. Is it breach of contract?
    4. If the landlord doesnt have a gas safety certificate can she terminate the agreement?

Any suggestions would be great

Originally posted by craigfer View Post
    4. If the landlord doesnt have a gas safety certificate can she terminate the agreement?

Any suggestions would be great
    Don't know the rest but the landlord cannot legally let without a gas safety certificate (presuming it has gas!)

Comment

The tenancy can't be broken just because the landlord doesn't have a gas certificate, although it is a criminal offence not to have one.

What kind of damp are you talking about.

Rising damp/penetrating damp (cause by either water rising from the ground or a broken pipe)

or

condensation accompanied by mould, generally caused by the person living in the property not heating or ventillating the property properly, drying clothes in rooms without adequate ventilation.

I suspect it's condensation, which means that your friend needs to look at how they are living.

Call in environmental health if the landlord doesn't sort.

Comment

Damp

It's water coming in from the roof / chimney where the lead is nit butting up against the chimney stack - its coming right down and penetrating the walls

Comment

Ah ha in that case get environmental health in from the council. I'd also be looking for a reduction in rent.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X