Shared electricity supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shared electricity supply

My daughter has been renting (AST) a bedsit with separate bathroom and kitchen since 22/10/20. The flat is above a cafe and she was told that the electricity supply was shared with the cafe which had the meter. She expressed concerns about this but was told that the cafe would pay its share and her bill would be around £40/month.
    She has just received an electricity bill from the letting agent of £129 for usage of 734kwh from 22/10/20 to 30/11/20, including 20% VAT (I have pointed out that VAT on domestic fuel is 5%, not 20%) which is clearly excessive.
    What are the laws concerning this? Is there a legal obligation for the flat to have its own electricity meter and, if so, is it the landlord's responsibility to have one installed or, as my daughter thinks, is it down to the tenant to arrange and pay for this? If a shared supply is legal, how can the cost be fairly apportioned?

People aren't allowed to make money reselling electricity, so the amount must be justified somehow.

If your daughter was told the bill would be about £40 a month, whoever told her that would have misled her as part of the sales process, which isn't allowed either.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you. This was my feeling about it too.
      What should her next step be to resolve it, do you think?

Comment

Personally I'd point out that the bill is three times what she was told to expect and could the agent please show how they identified that she has used 734kKWh without a separate meter.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Good advice, thank you. I've passed that on to my daughter and we'll see what transpires!

Comment

I’ve had something similar and we fitted a separate meter (any spark could fit one, should cost less than £150 to supply and fit). We shared the standing charge and just paid for our individual usage based on the sub-meter readings

Comment

Should probably add that if the properties are separate (ie they are rented individually with separate access etc) then the utility company won’t be happy with you sharing it across dwellings. One dwelling one meter... :-)

Comment

Ok, thanks. So there's no legal responsibility on the landlord to supply or pay for this?

Comment

Hi, yes the cafe and bedsit have separate access and are rented separately. When you say the utility company 'won't be happy' about a shared supply, do you know if this is actually illegal?

Comment

Herbert

If refence to post 2#

have a read of this https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ofgem-publi...updateoct05pdf

Thunderbirds are go

Comment

Many thanks, that makes for interesting reading. I must admit, all my misgivings about this arrangement have been realised!

Comment

Definitely pursue the incorrect VAT. I think it is reasonable not to pay until a correct invoice is presented.

I agree with jpkeates #4.

Comment

Thank you - agreed.
                          I really appreciate all the advice. Does anyone know if there is a legal requirement for a separate dwelling to have a separate meter and, if so, wherher it is the landlord's or tenant's responsibility to install one?

Comment

I would want to know how they assessed the usage if there is just a single meter. What does her tenancy agreement say about electricity payments?

Comment

Originally posted by Herbert View Post
                              Does anyone know if there is a legal requirement for a separate dwelling to have a separate meter and, if so, wherher it is the landlord's or tenant's responsibility to install one?
                              As far as I know, there's no specific requirement for a landlord to install a meter, but it's hard to imagine they could follow the rules about reselling electricity otherwise.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X