X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPT57
    replied
    Originally posted by MdeB View Post

A genuine Italian passport would have a photo of the holder on it, a local take-away fried chicken advert would not.
    I can see whether the confusion could arise.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by Chester Perry View Post
    This is what the NRLA tenant check report states under right to rent section.

Under the new regulations, landlords must check original documentation of anyone who applies to rent a property. The checks must be carried out on all potential adult occupiers of the property and must be made before the tenants move in.
    It''s stuff like this that keeps me out of the NRLA.

Replace "must check" with "should check".

Leave a comment:

• Ted.E.Bear
    replied
    Originally posted by Chester Perry View Post
    Guessing from this that I just check and copy but wondered do I need to do anything i.e with brexit? / if the passport expires during tenancy etc????
    https://assets.publishing.service.go..._landlords.pdf

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
    I wouldn't have a clue how to distinguish a genuine Italian passport from a local take-away fried chicken advert.
    A genuine Italian passport would have a photo of the holder on it, a local take-away fried chicken advert would not.

Leave a comment:

• Chester Perry
    replied
    This is what the NRLA tenant check report states under right to rent section.

Right to Rent - Important Information Landlords and letting agents in England are required to check the immigration status of all adult occupants before the start of a new tenancy to determine whether they have the right to live in the UK legally.

Under the new regulations, landlords must check original documentation of anyone who applies to rent a property. The checks must be carried out on all potential adult occupiers of the property and must be made before the tenants move in.

British citizens, EEA and Swiss nationals have an automatic and permanent Right to Rent property in the UK.

Applicant Nationality: Italian
    Passport/Document number: Y************

Applicant Nationality: Romanian
    Passport/Document number: 0*************

************* & ************* have indicated that they have a permanent right to reside in the UK and can provide a single document from List A Group 1 as acceptable proof that they can rent a property.

Original document to be obtained, inspected and copied in the presence of the holder:
    A passport or national identity card (current or expired) showing the holder is a national of the EEA or Switzerland.

Once you have made the initial check, there is no need to carry out any follow-up checks on this person.

There are 4 basic steps to ensure compliance:
    1. Establish who will be living in the property
    2. Obtain original versions of the acceptable documents for all adult occupiers
    3. Check the documents in the presence of the holder
    4. Make copies of the documents, date them and keep them safe

Guessing from this that I just check and copy but wondered do I need to do anything i.e with brexit? / if the passport expires during tenancy etc????

Leave a comment:

• Jon66
    replied
    Yes that is in my skill set, but some are very good and undetectable without a reader.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDod
    replied
    Originally posted by Jon66 View Post

Now you're just being silly.
    Why silly. Do you know how to interpret different kinds of passports and immigration documents and determine their validity and potential forgery? I don't, so my interpretation is of no greater validity than filing the chicken menu. Maybe you are an expert?

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
    I wouldn't have a clue how to distinguish a genuine Italian passport from a local take-away fried chicken advert. Is that absence of skill an offense?

That would explain the strange things that turn up from Just eat then...

Leave a comment:

• Jon66
    replied
    Now you're just being silly.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDod
    replied
    I wouldn't have a clue how to distinguish a genuine Italian passport from a local take-away fried chicken advert. Is that absence of skill an offense?

If I photocopy the chicken advert with deadline date and add that to my RTR file, will they say that I lacked due diligence, or that I am simply dumb.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Here's what you need to do.
    https://www.gov.uk/check-tenant-right-to-rent-documents

For the avoidance of doubt, you don't have to carry out these checks.
    You carry them out because it's a defence if you are accused of letting a property to someone who has no right to live in the UK.
    So it's a sensible thing to do, but you can't get into any trouble for not doing them.
    Unless it turns out that your tenant has no right to live in the UK - and, as far as I can tell, there have been no prosecutions against landlords on this matter.

Leave a comment:

• pebblepebble
    replied
    Hudson01,

Never thought I would either when right to work come into force. At the time I had a question about a prospective employee which the helpline couldn't answer and they told me it was my discretion whether we employed him or not. Anyway in answer to your question is there a helpline you can phone?

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    What has just occurred to me is that when you say you were told to '' check '' their passports....... check for what ? Also I, and i gather most LL's are not immigration officers so do not have the expert knowledge to check a fake one....... i never expected when i purchased my first BTL i would become a part time immigration agent.

Leave a comment:

• Chester Perry
    started a topic Right to rent

Right to rent

I have had checks done by the NRLA for 2 x tenants (a couple ) and right to rent has come back ok with advice to check and copy their passports.

One is an Italian passport and one is a Romanian passport.

I know that they wish to let long term and wondered is that it on the right to rent front or do I need to do any follow up checks anywhere down the road?

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X