Electric charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric charger

Had a tenant of my dad's ring up last night and he's bought a electric car and wants a charging point fixed to the wall next to drive, I haven't said anything yet but what are the opinions of landlords on here.
    He has said he will pay for installation and yearly test but didn't seem to like it when I said what about removal when you leave, just waying up thinks before I commit he's been a good tenant of 3years on ast.

Cheers

Well if this was my tenant i would agree (if they covered all the costs), given the way things are going this will be an issue for every landlord in the very near future. The removal side is a discussion point as i would not be too sure the costs of doing this would be worth it, one of the biggest issues with EV points can be getting the correct supply to the point where you want the charging unit to go, if they do this (and pay for it) then it may assist you in the future. It is interesting you have posted this as i own a couple of maisonettes with a communal parking facility and the freeholder company has been discussing how we can go about getting EV points in the allocated parking slots in the future, it is something we all will have to plan for given the ban will be arriving in single figure years very soon indeed.

Comment

From what I understand it will need to be connected to the consumer unit. If the consumer unit doesn't have a spare slot a bigger consumer unit would need to be installed. So if tenant is happy to pay for all of this and I suppose also an EICR.

Also depending on the property it maybe difficult to put the wiring in so that it is hidden and drilling of holes etc.

I would allow it and if they left it afterwards then it would be good marketing for getting the next tenant.

Comment

Maybe they could just use a plug in EV charger?

https://www.4ev.co.uk/10-metre-type-...charging-cable

Comment

I'd allow them to install it and to leave it when they eventually move out.
          It'll be a necessity over time.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

> Had a tenant of my dad's ring up last night and he's bought a electric car and wants a charging point fixed to the wall next to drive,

Why don't tenants first ask for permission before buying a new car? What if you say "no". Will he move out and how many properties are there with plug in.

I would check his distance from to home to work and see if this is within the range of his electric car. You may go to the bother of agreeing to this and this when find he moves out because of driving range issues. So you end up paying for annual checks.....

With the move to electric cars, it is a a good idea to have these installed. However, will this put too much demand on your consumer unit?

The chargers seem to vary from 3.6Kw, 7Kw and 22Kw....

A dedicated charging station is better, then someone plugging into a 13a plug.....

Having it removed once he leaves, is n't worth it, as it is a unique selling point.....

Comment

Originally posted by cuttingman View Post
              Maybe they could just use a plug in EV charger?

https://www.4ev.co.uk/10-metre-type-...charging-cable
              Many EVs come with a granny cable but too slow for regular use. Plus with a hard wired charger he can benefit form timed charging at off peak rates (when the grid is also greener)

Comment

Could o/p contribute a nominal sum now in exchange for keeping the charger when tenant leaves?

BTW, is a yearly inspection necessary? I've not felt the need to have mine inspected.

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post

Many EVs come with a granny cable but too slow for regular use. Plus with a hard wired charger he can benefit form timed charging at off peak rates (when the grid is also greener)
                  This is something a lot do not appreciate, this could be all our achilles heel in the future, if our properties do not have the ability to charge the tenants car then it will make them less attractive to rent.

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post

This is something a lot do not appreciate, this could be all our achilles heel in the future, if our properties do not have the ability to charge the tenants car then it will make them less attractive to rent.
                    True but none of mine even have parking so not my problem šŸ¤­

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post

True but none of mine even have parking so not my problem šŸ¤­
                      Agree if the property you rent has no parking then its a non issue but for those of us with either a driveway or in my case allocated parking spaces on a parking area next to the building it is something to keep in mind if the tenant can not charge their car (when only electric will be available) then i see that as a significant minus point for renting that place.

Comment

I just noticed that Electric Charge Points are 100% tax deductible until 2023. Maybe food for thought for anyone wavering.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-charge-points

Comment

Yes its worth it. Even if the tenant takes the charger with them when they move, the circuit will still be in place for future use. I install these for a living and demand is high. As long as your property is not damaged tn the installation process of course

Comment

Originally posted by darkstar View Post
                            Yes its worth it. Even if the tenant takes the charger with them when they move, the circuit will still be in place for future use. I install these for a living and demand is high. As long as your property is not damaged tn the installation process of course
                            Agreed, I'd be happy for my tenants to install EV charging at their expense and to leave it after they go.

As long as it's done professionally... the issue of damages / chasing wires / upgrades required to CU need to be discussed and agreed beforehand.

Comment

I would allow the T to install it, get a certificate that it has been installed correctly, ignore the removal aspect, it's an asset and selling point when the next T comes, also you could say that they pay a contribution to the 5 yearly EICR test if they are around that long. A happy T is a T who has made a home and continues to paying,

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to My tenant has passed away and their son isn't leaving the property
                                by Hudson01
                                Has the Son's sister mentioned anything about '' rent '' ? I gather he intends to simply sit there, pay nothing, not give notice and wait it out ....... payment free living.
                                15-01-2021, 19:55 PM
                              • My tenant has passed away and their son isn't leaving the property
                                by Con
                                My tenant has passed away and their son isn't leaving the property. Their tenancy runs out at the end of January. I knew the son was staying there as a carer for my tenant. The son's sister told me that the son would not sign the tenancy. The son was looking after the utility bills and had them in...
                                15-01-2021, 16:24 PM
                              • Reply to Should I consider this tenant?
                                by Hudson01
                                My gut feeling on this one without any further investigation would be a big fat NO, there is too much of a 'story' to tell and that alone would ring many alarm bells for me, he maybe an ok chap but i would not take that chance where there are lots of other tenants to pick from out there.
                                15-01-2021, 19:49 PM
                              • Should I consider this tenant?
                                by Flashback1966
                                I have a potential tenant. He says he has recently broken up, so for the past 3 months living in a budget hotel.

He is self-employed. Not much in the way of savings.

He did own a home, but it was in the wife's name, which they bought in 2005. He is making no claims, as his...
                                15-01-2021, 14:42 PM
                              • Reply to Section 21, Lockdown & Harassment from Landlord
                                by Hudson01
                                The LL appears to not have a clue what he is doing, but that aside the end result (way down the line) will be your leaving this property, you know this will occur so make real efforts now to look for something else, leaving under your own steam is far less stressful than with someone else's assistance....
                                15-01-2021, 19:45 PM
                              • Section 21, Lockdown & Harassment from Landlord
                                by RENTINGAHOUSE
                                I wonder if anyone on here could give me advice please? I've sought advice previously as our landlord tried to give notice during the first lockdown and has persisted in trying to get us to leave. In brief, 12 months AST ended in April, we did not sign a new contract and so entered into a periodic rolling...
                                14-01-2021, 16:47 PM
                              • Reply to Insurance problem
                                by pebblepebble
                                They were given the keys by the tenant's brother who stayed on for a while after the tenants moved. No rent paid for over 10 months.

Edited to add tenants moved out last June....
                                15-01-2021, 19:15 PM
                              • Insurance problem
                                by pebblepebble
                                I have just been told by my insurance agent that current insurance company have refused to insure again due to the illegal occupiers currently living there. He said of all the others he contacted only one would give a quote - this was hugely inflated and had exclusions which I am not happy about....
                                15-01-2021, 14:39 PM
                                by theartfullodger
                                How " illegal occupiers """? How did they gain access please? Who permitted it, who provided keys (or not..), and have you accepted rent from them or not, please?
                                15-01-2021, 19:05 PM
                                by pebblepebble
                                No it wasn't me, this is my only post on the subject and I only found out today. It's not a rent to rent scheme or HMO just two men living there who aren't the tenants.

Yes to the eviction process - I had the review hearing this week and waited three months for that. The insurance company...
                                15-01-2021, 17:48 PM
                              Working...
                              X