pest control - who's responsible??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pest control - who's responsible??

After 1.5 months my tenant (who has a pet) reported to me that they had pest control done as the pet had fleas and mites. My previous tenant (who moved out 3 months before the new tenant came) had no pets in the apartment, and the check-in report didn't state any signs of infestation. The tenancy agreement states that the tenant is responsible for pest control "unless such infestation occurs as a failure of the landlord to fulfil the landlord's repairing obligations".

As a landlord, I believe that I'm not responsible for this as the only vermin that can be found in the house are dust mites but they come from dust, meaning that the tenant is not cleaning the apartment well enough. Fleas and other mites can only be brought into the apartment from outside, and they live on pets.

Has anyone faced this problem before or knows who's responsible in this situation?

Thanks!

I believe it is the tenant although I have put down mice bait when I think there is a risk to my property.

Comment

I'd offer that the tenant that they can move out early without penalty if they wish, but that they're entirely responsible for the hygiene of their pet.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post
        I believe it is the tenant although I have put down mice bait when I think there is a risk to my property.
        Yes, I Probably would be responsible if there were holes in my apartment for large pests/insects to get in (questionable as they are attracted to bad hygiene). In this case it's fleas and mites which have nothing to do with holes in the apartment. As mentioned before, they are either from dusts or they can be brought from outside by pets.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
          I'd offer that the tenant that they can move out early without penalty if they wish, but that they're entirely responsible for the hygiene of their pet.
          Exactly, they're responsible for the hygiene of their pet. In this situation the problem is that this occurred 1.5 months after the start date of the tenancy (which is quite late to blame me for the infestation). I believe that in any case (if it's dust mites or other fleas and mites) the tenant is responsible for the infestation as no pets were in the apartment before, and the property was being cleaned regularly.

Comment

They need to pay for de-infestation now and at the end of their tenancy.

The problem is that I would not wish to stay in a property that has been exposed to large quantities of pesticides -- so by them having a pet you are seriously restricting what later (sensible) tenants you would be able to have. Unless you lie to later tenants. The right not to have your children poisoned must trump the right to have a pet against the wishes of the property owner -- but sadly the government and Shelter the so called "charity" only thinks some rights are important.

Comment

Mites can survive almost anything and lie dormant for months until a suitable host turns up.
              But it would be incredibly unlucky to get an infestation of both fleas and mites at the same time from anything other than a similarly infected animal.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Yer another reason not to accept pets!

Comment

Originally posted by Al123 View Post
                  as they are attracted to bad hygiene
                  No, mice are attracted dry and warm places.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                    Mites can survive almost anything and lie dormant for months until a suitable host turns up.
                    But it would be incredibly unlucky to get an infestation of both fleas and mites at the same time from anything other than a similarly infected animal.
                    That's also true

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X