Landlord Stealing Tenants Electricity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Years ago I had an office building, and found one of my tenants connected his storage heating to the common area meter. (The electricity co never explained how he managed to open the meter & re-seal it.)

I pointed it out to him, and disconnected it on a Saturday afternoon. He had the cheek to ring me on the Monday morning to complain his office was cold.

Comment

Originally posted by 45002 View Post

Utilities suppliers will Not replace a PPM to a "regular meter" if the "account holder" is paying a debt off/ PPM fitted under warrant, persistently late paying of bills/bad credit rating.
      Sure, but I read the original post as indicating that the pre-payment meter was there when he took on the flat, in which case if he has not run up debt himself this would not apply.

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post

Nothing you have written suggests to me that your quiet enjoyment has been infringed.

You agreed to them coming in to do something with the water.
        "Quiet enjoyment" has nothing to do with the neighbours or their workmen being quiet.
        Ha, yes I realise it is often a misinterpreted clause! There have been numerous requests for access, more often than not without the suitable notice required (sometimes just turning up, which intimidates me, to be honest). Building materials/rubble/builders moped etc have been on our front garden throughout and I believe I mentioned the scaffolding blocking the light. We know that we will be asked to leave at the end of our AST next Spring so they can begin work on our flat, and I strongly believe it is my right not to have builders in the house whilst I'm still occupying it. These are not emergency works, we are supposed to be in a lockdown and it is completely reasonable to expect to be left alone in the interim. I am putting up with the noise, after all

I realise the water meter thing was confusing. Nukecad is correct, as we pay standard rates, it wasn't going to cost extra so we allowed them to install a tap for building works above. Someone from the agency has since apologised for the electricity as he claims it was also done without his knowledge...

Finally, on leccy/gas meters... I researched changing this, the issue I have is that a standard AST will normally include the caveat that, although it is your right to change your meter without the landlord's permission, there is nothing to prevent the landlord from asking you to put the PPM back when you leave, which may well incur a charge to me, thus negating any savings earned in the first place! Entirely separately, the fact that people can be treated like criminals because they can't afford to heat and power their homes (fuel poverty is endlessly documented and affects our society's most vulnerable) well. It's just shocking really. A race to the bottom you might say...I have never been in this situation myself, and wouldn't look down on those who have. We are all two paychecks away from poverty as it were.

Comment

Originally posted by Zedong View Post
          Finally, on leccy/gas meters... I researched changing this, the issue I have is that a standard AST will normally include the caveat that, although it is your right to change your meter without the landlord's permission, there is nothing to prevent the landlord from asking you to put the PPM back when you leave, which may well incur a charge to me, thus negating any savings earned in the first place! Entirely separately, the fact that people can be treated like criminals because they can't afford to heat and power their homes (fuel poverty is endlessly documented and affects our society's most vulne.
          Pre pay meters have a valuable role for people who have difficulty managing their finances.
          Far from costing more , experience shows they help people save money by teaching the real cost of leaving lights, appliances etc switched on.
          Also ideal for properties with a high turnover of tenants.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X