Help please, when does contract become binding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help please, when does contract become binding?

I hope someone can help. We were in rented accomodation when our landlords sold to new landlords (property developers) who also bought the rest of the estate around us. At the end of the old term, the new landlords drew up a new tenancy agreement, for a fixed term 1 year with break clause at 6 months and 2 months notice to operate. They emailed us to agree details, then sent the agreement asking us to sign date and witness it, and return, which we did. About ten days after the commencement of the new contract, they sent an email saying they had changed their minds and now needed the property back. (I should say we had payed first months rent of the new term at the commencement of the new term). Now (2 1/2 months later, they are saying we did not have an agreement because although we signed the agreement, they did not. Today they rang offering us money to leave in 2 weeks. even though we have in writing the terms and conditions of the offer, we have the contract, we signed it, and they accepted our rent ever since.

Question
    Did the contract become binding to them on the start date even though technically they did not sign it?
    Is there relevant law or advice that could help us know where we stand?

I should say we have evidence from another tenant that they did not sign their contract either, even though they lived in a house for six months.

I'd be so grateful for some help here! Thanks hopefully

I believe that if they have accepted rent from you, a contract has been created, and since you have a written AST it's likely that any judge would rule that the written contract was binding even if not signed.

The fact that LL has offered £££ for you to leave indicates that he knows he is in the wrong.

I should sit tight; they are just trying it on.

Peter

Comment

How much have they offered you to move? Is it an amount worth your while?

One way or another they have two give you a min. 2 months notice which must expire on the last day of a rent period and must also take any fixed term into account.
      So at some stage in the future you are going to have to move out anyway! As such why not get them to pay ALL costs involved for you moving plus a little bit extra for the grief.

Comment

the equivalent of 6 weeks rent (as compared to 6 months left to run). Not even remotely worthwhile

Comment

Thank you Peter, that was my hunch but it's hard to find written info that says that's the case. Do you have any idea of relevant law/books etc?

Comment

Originally posted by pcwilkins View Post
            I believe that if they have accepted rent from you, a contract has been created, and since you have a written AST it's likely that any judge would rule that the written contract was binding even if not signed.
            Effectively, yes.
            The written contract itself is NOT binding, because unsigned.
            BUT an AST does not need to be written- even an oral tenancy is binding if the parties' conduct evidences its acceptance of its terms. Payment/receipt of rent is probably sufficient, coupled with agreed written terms (albeit unsigned), to prove a binding AST.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

thank you for this, just one detail though, I have found out that the tenancy agreement was a contractual tenancy rather than an AST. Does this make any difference?

Comment

Originally posted by justmeagain View Post
                thank you for this, just one detail though, I have found out that the tenancy agreement was a contractual tenancy rather than an AST. Does this make any difference?
                No. Conduct of parties is what counts. The only diference is that, for an oral AST, there is a statutory right- s.20A of 1988 Act- for T to demand written statement of main tenancy provisions. No such right exists outside the Act.
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

If you are in possession of the property (which I think you are) then if they have accepted rent from you under the terms of the new contract (written or not) then you are entitled to stay there for the length of the fixed term.

Might be a way of making some £££££££s though if you don't mind moving and I would expect them to pay your costs also.

Comment

Another point of view:

Unless the rent has changed in cost, or the rent has been presented in a new or special way at the outset of the 'new tenancy', how else can you tell if the rent is not being paid as normal, as part of the old tenancy agreement ?
                    IE if the rent is paid by standing order and just continues as normal, it doesn't necessarily follow that the rent could be called a "consideration" for the new tenancy, seeing the new agreement was not executed properly. It is merely rent being paid as normal.

So unless rent payment has changed, it is not necessarily a new tenancy.
                    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Last shot wins.

As Jeffrey quite rightly says LL presented terms to the tenant and the tenant accepted them by signing the agreement and paying the rent (acceptance by performance).

To answer Bel's post - which raises a good point - it is true the LL could say that the payment of itself is not enough - however, the payment combined with the signing and returning of the tenancy agreement is very strong evidence indeed that the tenant accepted the LL's offer of a new fixed term. If of course the tenant had sent back the agreement unsigned, but continued to pay rent, then that would be evidence of their rejection of the offer of a new fixed term.

The tenant may well also be able to raise a proprietory estoppel against the LL in that he promised them an interest in land and they acted to their detriment on the basis of that promise; see, for example, IIRC, Crabb v. Arun District Council. If that is the case, then the LL will be estopped from serving notice until the 6 month point as provided in the written terms.
                      Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Section 21 and Gas Certificate
                        by Mr. Sparkle
                        There were no issues, the GSC states that everything is safe.

Thank you for the help.

My AST states that by signing the agreement, the tenant agrees that email is a valid method of serving documents such as the GSC, EPC, EICR etc. I also use a online signing service...
                        30-11-2021, 12:45 PM
                      • Section 21 and Gas Certificate
                        by Mr. Sparkle
                        About 3 weeks ago I had a gas certificate issued.

I forgot to email the tenant a copy of the document.

I plan to evict the tenant with either a Section 8 or 21 and want to know whether there is any issue regarding the delay to give the tenant the gas cert?

There...
                        29-11-2021, 14:15 PM
                      • Reply to Rent arrears 6 months - Moved out without forwarding address
                        by Purple80
                        Thank you for your response. I had just served a letter stating if they dont pay the arrears, i will have to take court action. Maybe that prompted them to leave.
                        I have access now but do not have a forwarding address. If I go via MCOL or court, can you advise on the process please?
                        30-11-2021, 12:25 PM
                      • Reply to Rent arrears 6 months - Moved out without forwarding address
                        by theartfullodger
                        You will presumably already served s8g8,10,11. Maybe more than once

Follow up that through court or go McoL.

Do you have access after locks changed? Did they change th back before leaving? Any of their goods left behind?...
                        30-11-2021, 12:08 PM
                      • Rent arrears 6 months - Moved out without forwarding address
                        by Purple80
                        Can I please get some advise on tenants who did not pay the rent for 6 months and have now moved out without providing a forwarding address.
                        They breached the terms of the contract:
                        - Rent arrears for six months
                        - Pet in the apartment when there is a strict no pet policy on the development...
                        30-11-2021, 12:00 PM
                      • Reply to Tenancy issues - No Deposit Scheme, demanding deposit back
                        by llplug
                        I can't seem to reason with tenants, seems intent on legal action which is bewildering.
                        Does anyone know what these "no win, no fee" types actually take/make? Would I end up paying penalty + there legal fees?
                        Do I sit back and wait or as jpkeates suggests, get in quick with the...
                        30-11-2021, 10:48 AM
                      • Reply to MCOL & PCOL
                        by jpkeates
                        Thanks for the update, good to know.
                        30-11-2021, 10:05 AM
                      • MCOL & PCOL
                        by OS7
                        Hello Everyone,

Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
                        04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
                      • Reply to MCOL & PCOL
                        by OS7
                        Just to close of this thread : telephone hearing took place and after a lengthy hearing - the defendants application to set aside CCJ was dismissed and a CCJ with an instalment order was ordered by the Judge. He said he saw no real prospect of the defendant defending the claim, however to resolve he...
                        30-11-2021, 05:44 AM
                      • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                        by AndrewDod
                        Even if you are an AST "tenant", you are tenant of Sarah, not a tenant of Sarah's landlord. If Sarah ceases to be a tenant that does not make you a tenant of Sarah's landlord (nor does any deposit you paid to Sarah have anything to do with Sarah's landlord).

Sarah's right of...
                        29-11-2021, 23:05 PM
                      Working...
                      X