Tenant breaking AST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruth Less View Post
    I meant what if the charge the agent made and wrote in the contract was inflated in the first place?

Well the argument to counter that point would be, in essence, "tough luck".

I suppose there would come a point where, if the fee provided for by the contract was vastly different to the norm, then the tenant or the court would ask questions about whether there was some sort of collusion between the LL and the LA, However, we are getting into flights of fancy by considering that argument, which is not really a argument about the principles of damages for breach of contract, but more about the particular facts of a case.
    Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

Originally posted by agent46 View Post
      Well the argument to counter that point would be, in essence, "tough luck".

I suppose there would come a point where, if the fee provided for by the contract was vastly different to the norm, then the tenant or the court would ask questions about whether there was some sort of collusion between the LL and the LA, However, we are getting into flights of fancy by considering that argument, which is not really a argument about the principles of damages for breach of contract, but more about the particular facts of a case.
      What I am saying is that 10% of 18 months rent for a let only service is extortionate. OK so there is the refund of the last six months if the landlord remains with the agent but frankly after their showing who would want to remain with them? I can't believe that is the norm!

So it's the norm to charge a tenant find/let only service as a percentage of the rent for the whole contract including renewals then? In the OP's case that's 18 months!

I thought a fee based on percentage of mothly rent for the whole contract was mainly for managed properties where the agent has to do work month on month so a monthly fee makes sense. Round here the typical agent's fee is 12.5% of monthly rent for fully managed. I do not think for a second that the management side, quarterly inspections, handling repairs, collecting and chasing rent, etc. is a mere 2.5% of that while the let only part is 10% of the whole!

It needn't be collusion between the LL and LA, it could be the LL wasn't that picky what he signed up to or he could simply not have bothered to negioate.

How can that fees structure be justified for a tenant find only which the OP's was?

Why do landlords agree to such terms? Why isn't a tenant find a fixed fee regardless of eventual contract length? Do landlords not think such a charge for tenant find only is extortionate especially if a contract is renewed for several years?

Even if it is the norm I still don't see why the tenant should be liable for a fee structure that isn't related to work done and that the tenant knew nothing of. It was the landlord's choice to sign such terms after all. As it's a percentage of rent the agent could easily write that detail into the AST that the tenant gets to close off any arguments. In fact it seems silly to leave it out giving the tenant an argument that they were not aware that the charge would be that big.
      ~~~~~

Comment

What I am saying is that 10% of 18 months rent for a let only service is extortionate. OK so there is the refund of the last six months if the landlord remains with the agent but frankly after their showing who would want to remain with them? I can't believe that is the norm!

So it's the norm to charge a tenant find/let only service as a percentage of the rent for the whole contract including renewals then? In the OP's case that's 18 months!

I thought a fee based on percentage of mothly rent for the whole contract was mainly for managed properties where the agent has to do work month on month so a monthly fee makes sense. Round here the typical agent's fee is 12.5% of monthly rent for fully managed. I do not think for a second that the management side, quarterly inspections, handling repairs, collecting and chasing rent, etc. is a mere 2.5% of that while the let only part is 10% of the whole!

It needn't be collusion between the LL and LA, it could be the LL wasn't that picky what he signed up to or he could simply not have bothered to negioate.

How can that fees structure be justified for a tenant find only which the OP's was?

Why do landlords agree to such terms? Why isn't a tenant find a fixed fee regardless of eventual contract length? Do landlords not think such a charge for tenant find only is extortionate especially if a contract is renewed for several years?

Even if it is the norm I still don't see why the tenant should be liable for a fee structure that isn't related to work done and that the tenant knew nothing of. It was the landlord's choice to sign such terms after all. As it's a percentage of rent the agent could easily write that detail into the AST that the tenant gets to close off any arguments. In fact it seems silly to leave it out giving the tenant an argument that they were not aware that the charge would be that big.

You may think the fee isn't justified, but it is well within the norm. Unless it is well outside the range of reasonability, the Court will not concern itself with that factor, nor will it take into consideration the fact that the LL could have obtained better terms elsewhere. There is a contract for fees, it looks ok to me and issues you raise amounting to "couldawouldashoulda", "I think/thought" and "round here" are wholly irrelevant to the issue.

Fees payable by LL to LA are foreseeable (and in fact are actually made express terms of the AST), and although the exact % is not express, there would be an implied term that those fees will be reasonable (by reference to customary trade practice). IME, the fees charged by the LL, whilst on the high side, are within the range of reasonability by reference to trade practice and as I've already said, once damage of a certain type is foreseeable, the law will allow recovery of the full extent of the damage. If the tenant is lucky, the court may knock a couple of % off at most, but (if it becomes an issue) as he signed express terms with the LA, OP will not benefit from the same indugence.

I think I've answered the same question in several different ways now.

As for your other question - I don't know why a LL would agree to pay a fee of 10% for the contract term etc - my crystal ball is a bit murky today. Not that it is relevant to the outcome of this case, but perhaps OP or some other LLs will answer for himself/themselves.
        Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

The standard Let only fee in London Docklands is 9-11% + VAT. I agree that this is a rip off but unfortunately I did not have time to advertise, answer call, arrange viewings, sort contracts, perform inventories, check-in, arrange transfer of utilities etc. etc. etc.

I agree that a fixed fee would make more sense. If anyone can recommend a good agent in London Docklands then I will take my business to them.

Comment

You may think the fee isn't justified, but it is well within the norm. Unless it is well outside the range of reasonability, the Court will not concern itself with that factor, nor will it take into consideration the fact that the LL could have obtained better terms elsewhere. There is a contract for fees, it looks ok to me and issues you raise amounting to "couldawouldashoulda", "I think/thought" and "round here" are wholly irrelevant to the issue.

Fees payable by LL to LA are foreseeable (and in fact are actually made express terms of the AST), and although the exact % is not express, there would be an implied term that those fees will be reasonable (by reference to customary trade practice). IME, the fees charged by the LL, whilst on the high side, are within the range of reasonability by reference to trade practice and as I've already said, once damage of a certain type is foreseeable, the law will allow recovery of the full extent of the damage. If the tenant is lucky, the court may knock a couple of % off at most, but (if it becomes an issue) as he signed express terms with the LA, OP will not benefit from the same indugence..
            Sorry agent46, but why would anyone expect a tenant to know the terms of business agreed by agent and landlord? What may be the norm to those two parties isn't known by tenants. Do you explain the LA/LL fee structure to tenants as a rule? With such an open AST like the OP's the tenant would not have a clue what they'd signed up to in agent's fees. Put the detail in the AST and I would see your point. In fact as the detail is known it could so easily go into the AST...
            ~~~~~

Comment

Sorry agent46, but why would anyone expect a tenant to know the terms of business agreed by agent and landlord? What may be the norm to those two parties isn't known by tenants. Do you explain the LA/LL fee structure to tenants as a rule? With such an open AST like the OP's the tenant would not have a clue what they'd signed up to in agent's fees. Put the detail in the AST and I would see your point. In fact as the detail is known it could so easily go into the AST...

Sorry Ruth Less, as I've explained 4 or 5 times now - the actual fees do not have to be known to the tenant, it is sufficient for the LL's liability to pay fees to the LA to be reasonably foreseeable. That is not just my opinion, it is the position at common law, so arguing with me, or repeatedly telling me what terms you think should or could have gone into the AST is not going to change either my mind or the law.

If you think that the doctrine of remoteness of damage for breach of contract at common law is unfair then you can change the law by:

(a) Writing to your MP.

(b) Becoming an MP and then getting into a position of such influence that you can place a Bill before the House. This usually involves paying your dues in local politics beforehand and then climbing the greasy pole of Westminster politics for a number of years.

(c) Becoming an appellate judge. This latter course would involve you taking a law degree (or a conversion course, if you have a non-law degree), then taking the BVC (the Bar exams), then undergoing a 1 year period of pupillage, then practising at the Bar for a fair while before applying to the Lord Chancellor for a position on the Bench. Then you would have to work your way up to become a judge in the Court of Appeal, or better still, a Lord of Appeal in Ordinary, which will qualify you to sit on the Judicial Committee of the House of Lords. You would, of course, then have to wait until a case came along where the point was in issue, and then try to convince the judges sitting with you to agree with your reasoning.

HTH.
              Health Warning

Comment

Oh, Ruth, now see what you've done. You don't want to make him angry...
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                  Oh, Ruth, now see what you've done. You don't want to make him angry...
                  And you won't like me when I'm angry.

.......especially when I have homework to do. Speaking of which, have you answered my Ground 8 argument in the other thread yet?
                  Health Warning

Comment

...change the law by:

(a) Writing to your MP.

(b) Becoming an MP and then getting into a position of such influence that you can place a Bill before the House. This usually involves paying your dues in local politics beforehand and then climbing the greasy pole of Westminster politics for a number of years.

(c) Becoming an appellate judge. This latter course would involve you taking a law degree (or a conversion course, if you have a non-law degree), then taking the BVC (the Bar exams), then undergoing a 1 year period of pupillage, then practising at the Bar for a fair while before applying to the Lord Chancellor for a position on the Bench. Then you would have to work your way up to become a judge in the Court of Appeal, or better still, a Lord of Appeal in Ordinary, which will qualify you to sit on the Judicial Committee of the House of Lords. You would, of course, then have to wait until a case came along where the point was in issue, and then try to convince the judges sitting with you to agree with your reasoning.

HTH.
                    Or just pay New Labour £££ and become a Life Peer.
                    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

And you won't like me when I'm angry. mad

.......especially when I have homework to do.

Hides behind settee. You aren't still at school are you Actually I was going to ask what your user name means, are you a letting agent and do you know all the legal stuff in a professional capacity?

One more thing, would the same apply if the T had gone early during a renewal? e.g. a let only renewal for 12 months and the T leaves after month 1. Are they due to pay the agent's fees for the whole 12 months or do they just owe the cost of finding a replacement T? Only sometimes the LL is able to get out of having to pay all the agent's fees on a let only renewal even if contracted to. And there is talk such fees may be unfair.
                      ~~~~~

Comment

Actually I was going to ask what your user name means, are you a letting agent and do you know all the legal stuff in a professional capacity?
                        I'm a secret agent, and if I gave you any more information, then I'm afraid I would have to kill you

Re: renewal Qs - I think the same would apply. I don't believe renewal fees are unfair per se, but that's a whole different argument. It may be that the way they are drafted in Foxtons' T&Cs makes them unfair, but I haven't seen those T&Cs, so I can't comment.
                        Health Warning

Comment

Thanks for all the advice.

I now awaiting a possession hearing at local CC for my property.

As for the letting agent, I have written a letter of complaint to the directors with a view to going to the Ombudsman if I am not satisfied with their response.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is time more important than money?
                            by Lawcruncher
                            I am not suggesting it is the landlord's fault. I am just saying that, in some cases, if a tenant feels secure he is more likely to take care of a place....
                            27-01-2022, 23:02 PM
                          • Is time more important than money?
                            by jpucng62
                            Just had tenants move out of a property after 2 years. Always paid on time, perfectly pleasant young family who have now bought their own home BUT:

House was grimy - looks like they didn't clean properly in 2 years rather than anything overtly unpleasant
                            Garden was left in a mess...
                            27-01-2022, 17:20 PM
                          • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                            by MdeB
                            That is because you have to do things properly for S21 to be valid.

Do everything properly and the S21 is valid.
                            Get one thing wrong and it is invalid. There are many things to get right....
                            27-01-2022, 22:54 PM
                          • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
                            by Beeble
                            We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
                            25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
                          • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                            by Lawcruncher
                            The requirement comes from the tenancy terms. There are various reasons why a contract term may be void or unenforceable. They include: illegal; impossible; contrary to public policy; statute forbids them to be imposed; unfair. A requirement to keep a dwelling clean and leave it it clean is none of...
                            27-01-2022, 22:20 PM
                          • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                            by Piffy
                            I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
                            27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
                          • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
                            by AndrewDod
                            Almost everything is telling you to sell them - far away, no experience, higher rate taxpayer, current environment
                            27-01-2022, 22:04 PM
                          • Inherited a few rentals
                            by Landlord7289
                            Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
                            25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
                          • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
                            by DoricPixie
                            Lawcruncher,

Why does a tenant need to leave the property in a reasonable state of cleanliness if the property wasn't in a reasonable state of cleanliness at the start of the tenancy? Where does the requirement come from? The deposit protection schemes don't appear to take that approach...
                            27-01-2022, 21:11 PM
                          • Reply to Tenant has moved partner in.
                            by Hudson01
                            Totally agree, the classic - still the best. They sound like a nightmare and i would be looking to get rid as soon as i could whilst we still have S21, removing kitchen cupboards !!! In a 2 bed flat...... why the hell would you remove part of a fitted kitchen, what are you going to do with the space....
                            27-01-2022, 20:41 PM
                          Working...
                          X