Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is liable?

Hello

I am having a challenging time with my tenant at the moment. To the front they re in dispute over off road parking which has been bad enough. But now the tenant's mother has fallen over in the back garden and has written to me stating she wants to discuss compensation before she sues me.
    The back garden has a steep flagtstone path leading to a lane at the rear. The previous tenant laid the path. Most of the other houses in the street have done the same thing and they do tend to use them frequently despite the steep incline.
    When I let the house this time I pointed out that the path was a bit hazardous and that they shouldnt use it as the main access. There is a side path that goes across the back of the house and then around and up. This path is made up and adopted by the council.
    The tenants mother says she fell on the path and broke her foot. She feels that I am liable. I do have insurance but wondered if anyone had a similar experience before I refer it to the insurance co.
    Much obliged
    Bea

Originally posted by Softouch View Post
    Hello

I am having a challenging time with my tenant at the moment. To the front they re in dispute over off road parking which has been bad enough. But now the tenant's mother has fallen over in the back garden and has written to me stating she wants to discuss compensation before she sues me.
    The back garden has a steep flagtstone path leading to a lane at the rear. The previous tenant laid the path. Most of the other houses in the street have done the same thing and they do tend to use them frequently despite the steep incline.
    When I let the house this time I pointed out that the path was a bit hazardous and that they shouldnt use it as the main access. There is a side path that goes across the back of the house and then around and up. This path is made up and adopted by the council.
    The tenants mother says she fell on the path and broke her foot. She feels that I am liable. I do have insurance but wondered if anyone had a similar experience before I refer it to the insurance co.
    Much obliged
    Bea
    This doesn't sound like any form of tenancy issue to me.

Comment

Tell her you inspect the path at regular intervals and have a record of this.

You have a log of this, as your aware you have a duty of care.

Tell her the site was fine when you last inspected it.

This is the crap Liverpool council come out with time after time....it works for them.
      What i write is what i think....If you need solid info PAY A SOLICITOR!!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X