Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord changing accounts?

Hi,

I had a query regarding landlord changing bank account information…
    Suppose at the start of the tenancy if you are asked to pay into another account belonging to the landlords son, is that ok? The name on the agreement is the landlord but the account belongs to son or say a family member, is that normal?
    Does this make any difference? And is this an issue for tenant ?
    Also, suppose in a few months the landlord asks to change this again to another account is that ok?
    If it is in writing, is that acceptable?

Confirm with LL he authorised change of pay in details.

Comment

Originally posted by Stenant987 View Post
      If it is in writing, is that acceptable?
      On paper (no pun intended) i would say yes but i would still speak directly with the LL to make sure the letter is genuine, it's not beyond belief that '' someone'' could be purporting to be the LL !!

Comment

Nothing at all to do with tenant, apart from the obligation to make sure it is a legitimate request (bearing in mind this would be quite a good scam, and would leave tenant having not paid rent and still liable).

Comment

You would have an audit trail as long as you pay from your account into the account you've been given as proof you have paid the rent, prior to this you should get confirmation from the LL providing the new bank details and that the old account is no longer valid for payments. I doubt the LL will be changing the account details on a regular basis.

Comment

How can you verify the change? The "son" could have access to phone/email/post. Would you need to physically meet with the landlord? Assuming you know what the landlord looks like.

Comment

If you make the change online, your bank should now verify that the name you have been given and the name on the account match before allowing any transfer - so you'd have a chance.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I think it would depend on the situation, but if you don't actually know the landlord I would write to their address for service asking him to verify the change and to confirm that in writing, and to include in their response the secret word "pancakepie".

Not totally serious, only partially so -- but I think you need to be very careful if you really don't know the landlord at all. You could also ask them to verify various details such as the amount of rent you pay, the start date, the pay date, the duration of the fixed term, and your deposit protection ID number and the date of the last gas certificate. Where do they live?

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                  If you make the change online, your bank should now verify that the name you have been given and the name on the account match before allowing any transfer - so you'd have a chance.
                  The new system sounds nice in theory but many recipient institutions do not do it (on my latest count of the past week, TSB, Virgin Bank, Tesco Bank do not verify). Also the issue is not so much the name (L can ask for rent to be paid wherever he likes) -- but if the name if different from L super vigilance.....

Comment

The OP is querying the situation if rent is to be paid to someone, other than the landlord, at the start of the tenancy (as well as if that payee changes during the tenancy).

What does the tenancy agreement say? It should state what the rent is and how it should be paid. If the landlord choses that the rent be paid in a particular way it should be stated in the agreement. If it doesn't say anything the implication would be that the rent is paid to the landlord. Do what the tenancy agreement says.

If you think the request is suspicious you have an obligation to report it to the police.

Comment

ASTs very rarely state an exact account number via which rent should be paid (and probably should not do so).

Rent has to be paid to an account specified by the landlord - there is absolutely nothing to say that it should be an account in the name of the landlord (there are potential tax and other implications but those are not the business of the tenant)

Comment

thanks all ! I really appreciate all the responses! I guess what I was concerned was that the agreement mentions a different person and the account number is in a different name.
                        and I want to know the implication to the tenant. Suppose the landlord is doing this so the son gets rent, is that legal ?

I am not worried about the genuineness of this request. I am worried that if the landlord gets in trouble for whatever reason in future for having this strange arrangement, I don't want to be involved in any way. If I do go ahead it was only because the landlord asked to do so. I just needed a place to stay.

And the second part of the query is that if after sometime the landlord decides to change the account again , say .. to an account in the landlords name, would that be ok?

Should any of these concerns be the tenants concerns in 'any' sense or circumstance?

Suppose the tenant needs a reference letter from the landlord confirming the place of residence, and the agreement between them, but the bank statements show the rent going to a different account, is that normal ?

Comment

I think you are overly worrying (apart from the aspect of you being scammed by someone other than the landlord). People are entitled to change bank accounts. There are all sorts of legitimate reasons rent might be paid to an account that is not in L's name (albeit that is usual). Someone can be an owner and not a landlord, someone could be an agent, there might be a third party debt order. Apart from some recent bank account name checks you wouldn't even know.

Comment

For all you know the son is the owner (for example people under 18 cannot generally be on the title but can still own the place).

Comment

Could be... Impossible to guess. It may not even be the son, or it could be the son, but the son might not be owner and neither the landlord. it's not something the tenant would be expected to know I guess

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X