Landlord opening ex-tenant's post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obiter View Post
    There is not a lot of case law but the starting point is that it belongs to the recipient.
    But at the point in question, it isn't the property of the recipient, because there hasn't been any "receipt".
    The letter has arrived at the intended place and the person to whom it is addressed doesn't live there.

Surely the more pertinent point is that at no time does it become the property of anyone else.
    That's a problem then - if someone throws the letter away or damages it, against whom are they trespassing?

I'm only discussing the opening of someone else's post addressed and delivered to your property, by the way.
    Keeping the contents, holding a cheque to ransom etc are consequential and problematic on their own.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I don't think letters belong to the recipient, which is such a sweeping statement and taken literally means anyone in receipt is the owner. Surely letters belong to the sender until received by the addressed person.

Comment

jpkeates cross post!

Comment

Some people should learn more respect for private property.
          I think that is the key. When they don't respect my property I am grateful that their post seredipitiously falls open. Strangely enough this never seems to happen with decent tenants whose post is returned to sender or re-posted to their new address with a cheery smile.
          Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by Jon66 View Post
            I don't think letters belong to the recipient, which is such a sweeping statement and taken literally means anyone in receipt is the owner. Surely letters belong to the sender until received by the addressed person.
            "Recipient" can be a synonym for "addressee". It is established law that a letter belongs to the addressee as soon as it is posted. Whether the addressee receives it or not does not affect ownership. Note that when exchanging contracts by post and not using any protocol the contract is made when the last part is posted.

Comment

Yes am aware of the postal rule. Interesting what you say because the copyright of such a letter belongs to the writer. Conflicts as usual!

Comment

It is sent to the National Returns Centre only if efforts to deliver it have failed, and even then if the NRC become aware of the correct address they will deliver it.
                That's no longer the case; nowadays if you readdress mail and stick it in the postbox marked 'gone away - please forward', then it will end up being returned to the sender. I discovered this after forwarding my son's credit card statement to him just after he moved out of the family home - a few days later he found the credit card was summarily blocked because the statement had been returned to them.

I made some enquiries at the time and discovered that the forwarding of readdressed mail had only ever been a discretionary thing and rarely, if ever, happens now. The obvious intention is to encourage people to use their expensive official redirect service (£34 per quarter for one person).

Comment

As a matter of interest how long it it acceptable to be expected to return to sender? When I moved here I did it for 6 months then everything that came after that went into the bin. They did have a postal divert (I assume for 6 months as we started to get more post after that time) but some things slip through. My friend has recently had something delivered for the previous owners of her property and they moved 6 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                    It is established law that a letter belongs to the addressee as soon as it is posted.
                    Other than the postal rule, could you point me at a source to support this?

This isn't particularly relevant to this thread, it's been something that's fascinated since it was a discussion while I was studying law that was inconclusive.
                    That was a while ago, but it's bothered me off and on ever since.
                    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by pebblepebble View Post
                      My friend has recently had something delivered for the previous owners of her property and they moved 6 years ago.
                      I have been in my new house for 4 years now and still get post for the other owners...... they did leave with a lot of debt though !!! And funnily enough no forwarding address with anyone...... strange that. I have found that returning the post to the sender does little and it just keeps coming, i now simply bin it.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                        Other than the postal rule, could you point me at a source to support this?
                        I was hoping no one would ask that! I have to go back a long time to when I learned it. I did do some Googling hoping to find some authority, but failed to do so.

When you think about it the point of posting is a logical moment to choose because it achieves certainty and is the moment when the sender loses control of the letter. If it depends on the addressee actually getting it into his possession he would have no right to claim it if it ends up in someone else's possession.

In any event, the question is not relevant to this thread because the letter either belongs to the sender or the addressee. If a letter comes into a third party's hands the third party has no rights over it.

If those arguing that there are circumstances in which it is legitimate to open a tenant's mail are consistent they will concede that a tenant has the same right to open any mail addressed to his landlord which lands on his doormat.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                          I was hoping no one would ask that! I have to go back a long time to when I learned it. I did do some Googling hoping to find some authority, but failed to do so.
                          Glad it's not just me.

I have a feeling it's never been decided, hence the need for the Postal Rule for contracts.
                          But I have no authority for that either.

When you think about it the point of posting is a logical moment to choose because it achieves certainty and is the moment when the sender loses control of the letter. If it depends on the addressee actually getting it into his possession he would have no right to claim it if it ends up in someone else's possession.
                          The problem in these circumstances - a letter to a previous inhabitant - is that most of the information on the envelope about the intended recipient is wrong - the name is probably right, but the address isn't any longer, and, unless the name is unusual, there is some at least some doubt about who the intended recipient is.

In any event, the question is not relevant to this thread because the letter either belongs to the sender or the addressee. If a letter comes into a third party's hands the third party has no rights over it.
                          While I can go along with that, it does beg the question, against whom is the person who opens the letter trespassing?

If those arguing that there are circumstances in which it is legitimate to open a tenant's mail are consistent they will concede that a tenant has the same right to open any mail addressed to his landlord which lands on his doormat.
                          Quite.

Comment

Originally posted by hybrice View Post

The fact that you can justify it to yourself, or you personally don't know anyone who has been "done" for it, doesn't make it right or legal. And you're making a rather lofty argument to vindicate someone cracking open a letter not addressed to them and extorting the ex-tenant with the contents...
                            It's not illegal to open somebody else's post that has been delivered to your property.

And, no, I'm not arguing that's it's ok to extort the ex-tenant.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
                              It's not illegal to open somebody else's post that has been delivered to your property.
                              I'm not trying to be argumentative for the sake of it, but it is definitely illegal (in England and Wales at least).

It's a trespass to goods (Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977)
                              If you throw the letters away, use the contents or damage the contents, it's probably conversion, which is a form of theft.

It's probably not automatically interference with the post (which is what people normally suggest it is) once the item has been delivered, but depending on why you are opening it, it could become an offence under that act.
                              For example, opening someone else's mail hoping to find out who they owe money to or where they might be contacted is probably a separate offence.

No one ever gets charged with it (in the same way no one gets done for speeding at 71 mph on a motorway).
                              But that doesn't mean it's lawful.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon66 View Post
                                Yes am aware of the postal rule. Interesting what you say because the copyright of such a letter belongs to the writer. Conflicts as usual!
                                There’s no conflict. Ownership of the letter is independent of ownership of the copyright of the letter. It’s no different to how I can own a book without owning the copyright of the book.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Electric charger
                                  by Dan_Manchester
                                  Agreed, I'd be happy for my tenants to install EV charging at their expense and to leave it after they go.

As long as it's done professionally... the issue of damages / chasing wires / upgrades required to CU need to be discussed and agreed beforehand....
                                  02-12-2020, 06:03 AM
                                • Electric charger
                                  by jase222
                                  Had a tenant of my dad's ring up last night and he's bought a electric car and wants a charging point fixed to the wall next to drive, I haven't said anything yet but what are the opinions of landlords on here.
                                  He has said he will pay for installation and yearly test but didn't seem to like it...
                                  01-12-2020, 12:51 PM
                                • Reply to Invoice dilemma
                                  by MdeB
                                  But doesn't stop your nose and ears from freezing.

And now I am getting old the cold air affects my breathing....
                                  02-12-2020, 01:18 AM
                                • Invoice dilemma
                                  by RMasterss
                                  Hi guys,

I am hoping this is the correct place to post this.

I am currently a tenant who is 8 months in to my year tenancy. In September (17/09/2020) I had to report to my letting agency about mould that was growing in my bedroom. Since I first reported it, it got progressively...
                                  26-11-2020, 08:41 AM
                                • Reply to Section 20B
                                  by flyingfreehold
                                  Because the outcome of tribunal hearing are less predictable then spread betting when your time and costs are fully factored in to the end result. Plus a long wait.
                                  01-12-2020, 23:09 PM
                                • Section 20B
                                  by rabennett
                                  Our landlord did not issue the service charge accounts of expenditure for 1 jan to 31 dec 2018 till 2 July 2020. This was outside the 18 month limit. Does that mean the landlord cannot demand the service charge for that year?
                                  All we received was a budget of anticipated costs.
                                  01-12-2020, 10:14 AM
                                • Reply to Gas safety query
                                  by Section20z
                                  Carbon monoxide detector won't detect gas from an uncapped pipe, gsc should check for leaks....
                                  01-12-2020, 22:57 PM
                                • Gas safety query
                                  by popleta
                                  We recently moved into a new house, which used to have a gas fire in the lounge but which has at some point (fairly recently) been ripped out. It was already ripped out when I viewed the property, and it looked like work was being done to it - I was told they were blocking it up. When we moved in it...
                                  01-12-2020, 20:46 PM
                                • Reply to Section 20B
                                  by rabennett
                                  Had the freeholder acted in a correct way in previous years we would not even be thinking of this.
                                  Im on this site as I am a landlord as well.
                                  Why should we need good luck at a tribunal?...
                                  01-12-2020, 22:56 PM
                                • Reply to Gas safety query
                                  by ash72
                                  Central heating system will have no affect on a fire place, they are independent, like a gas stove and your heating system will have no affect on each other. I would place a carbon monoxide detector around the area, if it triggers it, I would inform the LL and get an emergency gas engineer out.
                                  01-12-2020, 22:54 PM
                                Working...
                                X