Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant gave notice which housemates acted on and now refuses to leave

Hi, I am a tenant in a shared house looking for help with a situation

Currently we are on a periodic tenancy, and one of our housemates gave notice that he was looking for a new place. We had clarified that he would give us 30 days notice when he was ready. He gave us his moving date, and I made sure to clarify that this was his official notice which he confirmed.

So I acted on this, began looking for a new tenant and found one to move in immediately after his moving date (he actually gave notice 2 weeks before his moving date, so this would save him paying for the rest of his notice period)

Then we heard no news, and he simply didn't leave on the date he had given us. There is some sort of 2 month long hold up with his new place and he appears to think he can simply stay here for another few months at least. He has also started being very offstandish/rude and is avoiding us. Our new tenant has been left high and dry, and is just living on our couch because there is nowhere else for her to go.

Recently he caused the fire alarm to go off from in his room and then was airing it out for a while. I could smell a burning smell when going by his door (like the smell you get when you drop a bit of food/water on a hob). He won't go into the kitchen any more so I am concerned that he is using a portable stove or something and putting us all at risk of a fire. He is also regularly going to his partner's house overnight (who lives in a large house share). Considering the current covid restrictions, it's bad that he didn't even ask us if we were comfortable with this/chose to force this risk onto us.

I have also given notice to our housing officer (we live in a housing association) to terminate our lease, and our new lease with the new tenant's name on it will begin as soon as we sign it (we are told it will arrive in about 3 weeks). His 30 day notice period that we agreed is also almost up, but there is no sign of him leaving and he doesn't talk to us any more.

What are our rights here?

Thank you in advance

If you are joint tenants, you have no rights over each other.
    If your housemate has given notice to the landlord and not moved out, that's a matter between the landlord and all of you.

If your housemate gave notice to you and hasn't moved out, that's an agreement and they've broken it, but, practically, there's not much you can do.
    But their "notice" to you doesn't have any legal effect.
    In theory, you could go to court and force them to do what they agreed to, but that's not a realistic option.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Electric charger
      by Hudson01
      Agree if the property you rent has no parking then its a non issue but for those of us with either a driveway or in my case allocated parking spaces on a parking area next to the building it is something to keep in mind if the tenant can not charge their car (when only electric will be available) then...
      01-12-2020, 20:51 PM
    • Electric charger
      by jase222
      Had a tenant of my dad's ring up last night and he's bought a electric car and wants a charging point fixed to the wall next to drive, I haven't said anything yet but what are the opinions of landlords on here.
      He has said he will pay for installation and yearly test but didn't seem to like it...
      01-12-2020, 12:51 PM
    • Gas safety query
      by popleta
      We recently moved into a new house, which used to have a gas fire in the lounge but which has at some point (fairly recently) been ripped out. It was already ripped out when I viewed the property, and it looked like work was being done to it - I was told they were blocking it up. When we moved in it...
      01-12-2020, 20:46 PM
    • Reply to Hedge trimming - sorry!
      by AndrewDod
      No need for a picture in that case. I would tell them in that case to get lost. They should have drawn your attention to it before when you were deciding....
      01-12-2020, 20:45 PM
    • Hedge trimming - sorry!
      by Champy72
      After signing the AST and moving into a rented property, LL turned up one day with a copy of the Land Title showing a parcel of land along the side of the next property which he stated would be our responsibility to maintain, including pruning/trimming of shrubs etc.

The inventory does...
      01-12-2020, 15:18 PM
    • Reply to Can Council cut trees down, without permission?
      by amy131
      I had a tree fall down from council owned land into a property I own, it was resting on top of one of my trees and sticking out into the garden. I reported it and it took a number of months before contractors turned up one day and removed it. My tenants informed me it had been removed, I had no notification...
      01-12-2020, 20:24 PM
    • Can Council cut trees down, without permission?
      by missmuffit
      Can the council cut Conifer hedge without notifying the tenant?

I ask because 2 years ago I asked council to remove a 15/20 foot hedge in the property next door which was empty at this time, they didn't give a definite "Yes" but said "It would probably get done at some...
      01-12-2020, 13:26 PM
    • Reply to Deposit not protected in time
      by Codger
      The agent has been very careless.I hold deposits myself because I do not trust them with my money. But they can be slow handing it over and then you have to chase the deadline.
      All that hassle for a small sum when you are trusting a tenant with a major asset!
      01-12-2020, 20:19 PM
    • Deposit not protected in time
      by Laura1604
      Afternoon all, My current tenant is now leaving and i would like to make a few small claims from the deposit. I have found out that the letting agent that i used to set up this let did not protect my tenants deposit in the required 30 days. My questions are:
      Can i still make a claim from the...
      01-12-2020, 14:37 PM
    • Reply to Hedge trimming - sorry!
      by Champy72
      It is separated. It is not accessible from the garden (which actually had no plants at all when we moved in). If you picture the house from the frontage, to the right hand side there is a strip of land which runs between the private lane and the neighbours garage and garden. Everyone who has seen it...
      01-12-2020, 20:17 PM
    Working...
    X