Do I still need HMO license?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I still need HMO license?

Hi, we've had an HMO license for several years. However, the tenants have all now moved out. A family (parents and 4 children) want to move in but the HMO license conditions stipulate maximum five people, 4 households. The house has four bedrooms and a large lounge plus kitchen-diner. Can I rent to the family on the present HMO license or alternatively can I hand back the license and rent on the basis they are a single household? Or can I not rent on any basis? Thanks in advance for any help.

If it's parents and their 4 children, that's one household and it won't be an HMO.
    So the HMO licence and conditions are academic.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You'll still have the license but you won't need it for a family. I doubt your council will give you a refund. I'd keep it. The family might move out before it runs out and you'll then have the option of running it as a HMO again.

Comment

Council Tax considerations?

With an HMO the LL is liable for the CT.

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
          Council Tax considerations?

With an HMO the LL is liable for the CT.
          Only if let on a room-only basis

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Gas safety query
            by Hudson01
            I do not know the answer to this as my properties have no gas supply, my view though is that if the property DOES have any supply to the building (ie you have a gas meter) even if you have no actual appliances i would think a safety check would be needed......... happy to learn from others who have...
            01-12-2020, 20:57 PM
          • Gas safety query
            by popleta
            We recently moved into a new house, which used to have a gas fire in the lounge but which has at some point (fairly recently) been ripped out. It was already ripped out when I viewed the property, and it looked like work was being done to it - I was told they were blocking it up. When we moved in it...
            01-12-2020, 20:46 PM
          • Reply to Electric charger
            by Hudson01
            Agree if the property you rent has no parking then its a non issue but for those of us with either a driveway or in my case allocated parking spaces on a parking area next to the building it is something to keep in mind if the tenant can not charge their car (when only electric will be available) then...
            01-12-2020, 20:51 PM
          • Electric charger
            by jase222
            Had a tenant of my dad's ring up last night and he's bought a electric car and wants a charging point fixed to the wall next to drive, I haven't said anything yet but what are the opinions of landlords on here.
            He has said he will pay for installation and yearly test but didn't seem to like it...
            01-12-2020, 12:51 PM
          • Reply to Hedge trimming - sorry!
            by AndrewDod
            No need for a picture in that case. I would tell them in that case to get lost. They should have drawn your attention to it before when you were deciding....
            01-12-2020, 20:45 PM
          • Hedge trimming - sorry!
            by Champy72
            After signing the AST and moving into a rented property, LL turned up one day with a copy of the Land Title showing a parcel of land along the side of the next property which he stated would be our responsibility to maintain, including pruning/trimming of shrubs etc.

The inventory does...
            01-12-2020, 15:18 PM
          • Reply to Can Council cut trees down, without permission?
            by amy131
            I had a tree fall down from council owned land into a property I own, it was resting on top of one of my trees and sticking out into the garden. I reported it and it took a number of months before contractors turned up one day and removed it. My tenants informed me it had been removed, I had no notification...
            01-12-2020, 20:24 PM
          • Can Council cut trees down, without permission?
            by missmuffit
            Can the council cut Conifer hedge without notifying the tenant?

I ask because 2 years ago I asked council to remove a 15/20 foot hedge in the property next door which was empty at this time, they didn't give a definite "Yes" but said "It would probably get done at some...
            01-12-2020, 13:26 PM
          • Reply to Deposit not protected in time
            by Codger
            The agent has been very careless.I hold deposits myself because I do not trust them with my money. But they can be slow handing it over and then you have to chase the deadline.
            All that hassle for a small sum when you are trusting a tenant with a major asset!
            01-12-2020, 20:19 PM
          • Deposit not protected in time
            by Laura1604
            Afternoon all, My current tenant is now leaving and i would like to make a few small claims from the deposit. I have found out that the letting agent that i used to set up this let did not protect my tenants deposit in the required 30 days. My questions are:
            Can i still make a claim from the...
            01-12-2020, 14:37 PM
          Working...
          X