Only being offered tenants with guarantors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only being offered tenants with guarantors

Not one tenant without a guarantor. The problem seems to be a lot have only been in a job a short while. Complicated

You mean not one tenant you you think does not need a guarantor. Sounds as if you had best leave the property vacant then doesn't it (student lettings excepted)?

Comment

They have high salaries but have not been at their job particular job the desired 2 years That is why LA need guarantor

Comment

I'd think about offering a 6 months tenancy (I always do this anyway) and asking for a work ref to say that they'll be in work for the next 6 months. And do all the usual checks. Is your rent far above the local HB rate?

Comment

Originally posted by Celibin View Post
          They have high salaries but have not been at their job particular job the desired 2 years That is why LA need guarantor
          It is you that decides on your needs not the LA. Do they for example have 100K in the bank? I have spent a large part of my life "not been at their job particular job the desired 2 years".....

Ask the LA why, if they are not suitable, that they think a guarantor will help. If they are nopt suitable then they are not suitable with or without a guarantor. A guarantor can sometimes be helpful when tenants ARE perfectly suitable - it is not a substitute for suitability under the current circumstances (in the old days when you could terminate a tenancy agreement without incurring massive cost that did not apply - then you could afford to help people in uncertain circumstances - those days of mutual help have been eliminated).

Comment

La have a reference from employer stating they will pay the rent . The guarantor is a back up given it is a 6 month notice period now

Comment

Sounds like they're being over-cautious.

Comment

To answer your previous question the rent in £100 pcm above the LHA

Comment

Having the employer offer to pay rent isn't worth a bean unless they are party to the contract.

By LHA do you mean that they are in receipt of this, or it's just theoretical?

Maybe give us an idea what sorts of tenants are being passed to you by LA i.e.

Savings in the bank £________
                  Annual income £__________
                  What sort of job ___________
                  Rent £_____________

But the employer offering to pay might be your way in with a proper contract (and being careful how you protect deposits etc., if from a 2rd party). Employer should be the guarantor, and the employer themselves needs to be a proper company with lots of assets, not just the local chippie.

Comment

LA works for you, inform them of type of T acceptable to you eg 6/12 month Fixed Term.
                    Employer may be useless if he sacks his employee.

Comment

A guarantor is great, we only accept as guarantors of merit those who are on the title of any property at HMLR.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingfreehold View Post
                        A guarantor is great, we only accept as guarantors of merit those who are on the title of any property at HMLR.
                        And when the fixed term is over (which is when problems often arise) you do realise that guarantor agreements are unlikely to be possible to use? Guarantors are not locked into an interminably renewable deed especially if the underlying contract changes (e.g. you increase the rent by 1 penny).

Comment

I would only sign a contract with me and the tenant If the employers wants to pay the rent that is up to them I think the agents are not very good But they do have a HMLR guarantor with a big salary

Comment

So difficult to enforce guarantor agreement even if it says it goes on after the initial fixed term?

Comment

Originally posted by Celibin View Post
                              they do have a HMLR guarantor with a big salary
                              So what? How do you think that helps exactly?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Electric charger
                                by Dan_Manchester
                                Agreed, I'd be happy for my tenants to install EV charging at their expense and to leave it after they go.

As long as it's done professionally... the issue of damages / chasing wires / upgrades required to CU need to be discussed and agreed beforehand....
                                02-12-2020, 06:03 AM
                              • Electric charger
                                by jase222
                                Had a tenant of my dad's ring up last night and he's bought a electric car and wants a charging point fixed to the wall next to drive, I haven't said anything yet but what are the opinions of landlords on here.
                                He has said he will pay for installation and yearly test but didn't seem to like it...
                                01-12-2020, 12:51 PM
                              • Reply to Invoice dilemma
                                by MdeB
                                But doesn't stop your nose and ears from freezing.

And now I am getting old the cold air affects my breathing....
                                02-12-2020, 01:18 AM
                              • Invoice dilemma
                                by RMasterss
                                Hi guys,

I am hoping this is the correct place to post this.

I am currently a tenant who is 8 months in to my year tenancy. In September (17/09/2020) I had to report to my letting agency about mould that was growing in my bedroom. Since I first reported it, it got progressively...
                                26-11-2020, 08:41 AM
                              • Reply to Section 20B
                                by flyingfreehold
                                Because the outcome of tribunal hearing are less predictable then spread betting when your time and costs are fully factored in to the end result. Plus a long wait.
                                01-12-2020, 23:09 PM
                              • Section 20B
                                by rabennett
                                Our landlord did not issue the service charge accounts of expenditure for 1 jan to 31 dec 2018 till 2 July 2020. This was outside the 18 month limit. Does that mean the landlord cannot demand the service charge for that year?
                                All we received was a budget of anticipated costs.
                                01-12-2020, 10:14 AM
                              • Reply to Gas safety query
                                by Section20z
                                Carbon monoxide detector won't detect gas from an uncapped pipe, gsc should check for leaks....
                                01-12-2020, 22:57 PM
                              • Gas safety query
                                by popleta
                                We recently moved into a new house, which used to have a gas fire in the lounge but which has at some point (fairly recently) been ripped out. It was already ripped out when I viewed the property, and it looked like work was being done to it - I was told they were blocking it up. When we moved in it...
                                01-12-2020, 20:46 PM
                              • Reply to Section 20B
                                by rabennett
                                Had the freeholder acted in a correct way in previous years we would not even be thinking of this.
                                Im on this site as I am a landlord as well.
                                Why should we need good luck at a tribunal?...
                                01-12-2020, 22:56 PM
                              • Reply to Gas safety query
                                by ash72
                                Central heating system will have no affect on a fire place, they are independent, like a gas stove and your heating system will have no affect on each other. I would place a carbon monoxide detector around the area, if it triggers it, I would inform the LL and get an emergency gas engineer out.
                                01-12-2020, 22:54 PM
                              Working...
                              X