Small claims to get deposit back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small claims to get deposit back

I would appreciate any advice regards taking my LL to court for deposit return.
    Deposit is held with DPS, it took a month for LL to supply the deposit ID so I could request the deposit back. Then they didn’t respond to my claim and I was advised by DPS to complete a statutory declaration, between me sending this and DPS receiving and logging it the LL responded and we both agreed to dispute resolution. However, DPS then received the SD and this cancelled out the dispute process. I contacted them and stated again I’m happy to use dispute resolution, they said they had to ask LL permission again to go ahead and this time they declined, so I’m now advised I have to go to small claims court and obtain a court order for DPS to release my deposit.
    I’m pretty stressed out about this, is it worthwhile engaging a solicitor? Do the courts decide on what’s fair in a similar way to DPS? It’s a high value deposit, almost £4K, so I can’t let it go.

It sounds from your previous posts that you owe the landlord 12 months of rent (which he will have to mitigate). The reason LL wants this to go to court I guess is that they are going to be claiming for more than the 4K deposit.

You just aborted on a 12m AST right? Why do you think you should get your deposit back? What was the monthly rent?

Your claim against LL sounds like it's about major potential breaches of contract well beyond stuff to do with usual deposit related issues. LL claim is going to be that you owe several months of rent. That's not something that is within the remit of the deposit scheme adjudicators. Has the property been re-let?

If you walked away from a tenancy agreement, and your only loss will be the deposit (? 6 weeks or so of rent) it sounds very much to me that you would be ill advised to precipitate legal action, and rather leave the landlord to do that if they are so inclined. You can always counter-claim.

Comment

Originally posted by May79 View Post
      I’m pretty stressed out about this, is it worthwhile engaging a solicitor? Do the courts decide on what’s fair in a similar way to DPS? It’s a high value deposit, almost £4K, so I can’t let it go.
      You can retain a solicitor, but the small claims process is quite simple and much cheaper.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Andrew Dodd, this is from my previous tenancy.

Comment

Andrew Dodd, this is from my previous tenancy.
          How many catastrophic tenancies have you had in the past 6 weeks?

Comment

I moved 10 weeks ago... the previous posts you read relate to my new tenancy.

Comment

I moved 10 weeks ago... the previous posts you read relate to my new tenancy.
              Please post links to the previous threads that this thread refers to. Then it will be easier to merge the threads into one.

Comment

Tbh just issue small claims proceedings. You've done what you can and the Landlord is clearly not going to play ball. Small claims almost never makes an order as to costs (unless you are extremely belligerent or didn't follow the process) so there's very little at risk for filing a claim. This is quite straightforward and I doubt you'd need a solicitor. That said I only know what you've written here, i.e landlord not agreeing to pay it back and seemingly not responding.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Electric charger
                  by Hudson01
                  Agree if the property you rent has no parking then its a non issue but for those of us with either a driveway or in my case allocated parking spaces on a parking area next to the building it is something to keep in mind if the tenant can not charge their car (when only electric will be available) then...
                  01-12-2020, 20:51 PM
                • Electric charger
                  by jase222
                  Had a tenant of my dad's ring up last night and he's bought a electric car and wants a charging point fixed to the wall next to drive, I haven't said anything yet but what are the opinions of landlords on here.
                  He has said he will pay for installation and yearly test but didn't seem to like it...
                  01-12-2020, 12:51 PM
                • Gas safety query
                  by popleta
                  We recently moved into a new house, which used to have a gas fire in the lounge but which has at some point (fairly recently) been ripped out. It was already ripped out when I viewed the property, and it looked like work was being done to it - I was told they were blocking it up. When we moved in it...
                  01-12-2020, 20:46 PM
                • Reply to Hedge trimming - sorry!
                  by AndrewDod
                  No need for a picture in that case. I would tell them in that case to get lost. They should have drawn your attention to it before when you were deciding....
                  01-12-2020, 20:45 PM
                • Hedge trimming - sorry!
                  by Champy72
                  After signing the AST and moving into a rented property, LL turned up one day with a copy of the Land Title showing a parcel of land along the side of the next property which he stated would be our responsibility to maintain, including pruning/trimming of shrubs etc.

The inventory does...
                  01-12-2020, 15:18 PM
                • Reply to Can Council cut trees down, without permission?
                  by amy131
                  I had a tree fall down from council owned land into a property I own, it was resting on top of one of my trees and sticking out into the garden. I reported it and it took a number of months before contractors turned up one day and removed it. My tenants informed me it had been removed, I had no notification...
                  01-12-2020, 20:24 PM
                • Can Council cut trees down, without permission?
                  by missmuffit
                  Can the council cut Conifer hedge without notifying the tenant?

I ask because 2 years ago I asked council to remove a 15/20 foot hedge in the property next door which was empty at this time, they didn't give a definite "Yes" but said "It would probably get done at some...
                  01-12-2020, 13:26 PM
                • Reply to Deposit not protected in time
                  by Codger
                  The agent has been very careless.I hold deposits myself because I do not trust them with my money. But they can be slow handing it over and then you have to chase the deadline.
                  All that hassle for a small sum when you are trusting a tenant with a major asset!
                  01-12-2020, 20:19 PM
                • Deposit not protected in time
                  by Laura1604
                  Afternoon all, My current tenant is now leaving and i would like to make a few small claims from the deposit. I have found out that the letting agent that i used to set up this let did not protect my tenants deposit in the required 30 days. My questions are:
                  Can i still make a claim from the...
                  01-12-2020, 14:37 PM
                • Reply to Hedge trimming - sorry!
                  by Champy72
                  It is separated. It is not accessible from the garden (which actually had no plants at all when we moved in). If you picture the house from the frontage, to the right hand side there is a strip of land which runs between the private lane and the neighbours garage and garden. Everyone who has seen it...
                  01-12-2020, 20:17 PM
                Working...
                X