Deposit protection question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit protection question

I have a new tenant. As well as Gas safety check, Electricity report, EPC I have protected the deposit, given prescribed info within 2 weeks and given a copy of the How to Rent guide. She has signed for receipt of the last 2, the 1st three were done by agents.
    It’s a one year AST. If she renews after 1 year , does the deposit just stay quietly where it is until she eventually moves out, or do I need to do anything with the deposit on renewal? Many thanks.

If the tenancy goes periodic, then you don't need to issue any further documents (apart from the gas safety), if you get them to sign a new tenancy then you get all the information again, so better not and let the tenancy go periodic.

Comment

You need to check with the scheme you ended up using for specific details, what they cover, and their procedure.

Generally speaking, with the custodial scheme you give them the money, serve the PI to the tenant (and any relevant persons), and then you can forget about it. With the insurance scheme, you need to protect again (i.e. pay the fee again) and give new PI every renewal/extension. They tend to not require a new protection for the statutory periodic tenancy that arise after a fixed term, but may require the landlord to notify at the appropriate time that a SPT have arisen.
      I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

GSC is annual, to be given after the test.

Electric safety is 5-yearly, likewise.

EPC just once, before first occupation. Maybe the next tenancy after renewal.

How to Rent start of every new tenancy (statutory periodic or otherwise), unless the latest version is the verison you had previously given.
        I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Thanks everyone. It’s just custodial with the DPS. Obviously I’ll be doing a gas safety check yearly. Interesting re letting the tenancy go periodic rather than issuing a new one to avoid having to re issue the information. I guess that means you can’t change the terms of the tenancy? Not that I plan to.

Comment

Originally posted by Lots on View Post
            I guess that means you can’t change the terms of the tenancy? Not that I plan to.
            In practice the only thing most landlords want to change is the rent and there are mechanisms for doing that without changing the tenancy agreement.

Comment

It's also possible to propose changes to other terms in the tenancy agreement within a year of it arising.

Comment

Thanks guys, those are very important points. I appreciate you taking the time to post.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Can Council cut trees down, without permission?
                  by amy131
                  I had a tree fall down from council owned land into a property I own, it was resting on top of one of my trees and sticking out into the garden. I reported it and it took a number of months before contractors turned up one day and removed it. My tenants informed me it had been removed, I had no notification...
                  01-12-2020, 20:24 PM
                • Can Council cut trees down, without permission?
                  by missmuffit
                  Can the council cut Conifer hedge without notifying the tenant?

I ask because 2 years ago I asked council to remove a 15/20 foot hedge in the property next door which was empty at this time, they didn't give a definite "Yes" but said "It would probably get done at some...
                  01-12-2020, 13:26 PM
                • Reply to Deposit not protected in time
                  by Codger
                  The agent has been very careless.I hold deposits myself because I do not trust them with my money. But they can be slow handing it over and then you have to chase the deadline.
                  All that hassle for a small sum when you are trusting a tenant with a major asset!
                  01-12-2020, 20:19 PM
                • Deposit not protected in time
                  by Laura1604
                  Afternoon all, My current tenant is now leaving and i would like to make a few small claims from the deposit. I have found out that the letting agent that i used to set up this let did not protect my tenants deposit in the required 30 days. My questions are:
                  Can i still make a claim from the...
                  01-12-2020, 14:37 PM
                • Reply to Hedge trimming - sorry!
                  by Champy72
                  It is separated. It is not accessible from the garden (which actually had no plants at all when we moved in). If you picture the house from the frontage, to the right hand side there is a strip of land which runs between the private lane and the neighbours garage and garden. Everyone who has seen it...
                  01-12-2020, 20:17 PM
                • Hedge trimming - sorry!
                  by Champy72
                  After signing the AST and moving into a rented property, LL turned up one day with a copy of the Land Title showing a parcel of land along the side of the next property which he stated would be our responsibility to maintain, including pruning/trimming of shrubs etc.

The inventory does...
                  01-12-2020, 15:18 PM
                • Reply to Section 20B
                  by Section20z
                  I presume you didn't mind maintenance being carried out.
                  Maybe you can ask for time to pay if it's unexpected ?
                  01-12-2020, 20:08 PM
                • Section 20B
                  by rabennett
                  Our landlord did not issue the service charge accounts of expenditure for 1 jan to 31 dec 2018 till 2 July 2020. This was outside the 18 month limit. Does that mean the landlord cannot demand the service charge for that year?
                  All we received was a budget of anticipated costs.
                  01-12-2020, 10:14 AM
                • Reply to Electric charger
                  by Section20z
                  True but none of mine even have parking so not my problem 🤭...
                  01-12-2020, 20:06 PM
                • Electric charger
                  by jase222
                  Had a tenant of my dad's ring up last night and he's bought a electric car and wants a charging point fixed to the wall next to drive, I haven't said anything yet but what are the opinions of landlords on here.
                  He has said he will pay for installation and yearly test but didn't seem to like it...
                  01-12-2020, 12:51 PM
                Working...
                X