X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hudson01
    replied
    Originally posted by Ollie2000 View Post
    No plants left, but a lot of equipment. I don't think the electricity has been abstracted - it's been cut off, so I assume they've just run it up and not paid the bill...
    That equipment is worth a lot of money and will be needed by them for the next grow, tread carefully.

Leave a comment:

• Flashback1966
    replied
    If these criminals are paying your rent, how long before they turn up at your doorstep asking for a refund? (if you take posession)

The police may not want you to tip off your tenant, but they have boarded up the property. So why are those criminals still paying the rent?

Is the landlord allowed to keep the rent under such circumstances?

Leave a comment:

• Ollie2000
    replied
    No plants left, but a lot of equipment. I don't think the electricity has been abstracted - it's been cut off, so I assume they've just run it up and not paid the bill...

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    You say it has been converted into a cannabis farm...... do you mean it is still active and has plants in there, or have they been removed with simply the pots and soil left behind ??? I would guess they have been removed as they are very valuable and if the tenant has gone then that would be very odd indeed.

If there are no plants there then i doubt the police will be interested, have they abstracted electricity ? That is a criminal offence so they will crime that, otherwise if no abstraction then it will be down to you to get the place back up again.

Leave a comment:

• Jon66
    replied
    Wait until the day after the last day of the tenancy. Ensure tenants have vacated. Quietly remove the plants and dispose of them. Arrange for the electrical supply to be reinstated. Job done.

Leave a comment:

• Ollie2000
    replied
    I am in a similar situation, although nowhere near as bad: the tenants gave notice and when I went round today (a week before the last day of the tenancy), they seemed to have moved out, although some furniture is still there. The property has been left in reasonable condition, but I found that the attic had been converted to a cannabis farm. The electric has been cut off, they've not paid the last month's rent and, unsurprisingly, I can't get hold of them. I am planning to report this to the police in the morning and wondered how long it will take them to investigate and if the property will be closed off during their investigation. The problem is that I already have a new tenant ready to move into the property who has given notice on their current residence. Any experience and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Being prosecuted for illegal eviction is remarkably unlikely.
    Being sued as a civil matter is more possible.

A local authority needs a considerable likelihood of success to get a prosecution approved internally, they're remarkably expensive for the council.

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    Originally posted by boletus View Post

Some of my properties require licenses, and it looks like more will do in future. If I were prosecuted for illegal eviction, it would preclude me from being a fit and proper person
    Yes, I did think about that, and its a good point, but as I said, more research would be needed before taking the risk. Nevertheless, if it turns out that there is very little chance of the tenant showing his face in the area again, let alone trying to sue the landlord for illegal eviction, then it may be one worth taking given the sums involved

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    Also remember that in a lot of cases it comes to the attention of the Police because another rival drugs gang '' taxes '' the grow of the cannabis farm and its this break in that scares off the tenant/minders of the farm and brings in the law, the rent on a farm is always paid on time whilst the grow is in production but once the game is up i would expect the arrears to rack up month after month. The last farm i was in would have cost 10's of thousands of pounds to bring back to anything near a standard to rent out, it would be a nightmare for any LL to deal with.

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    Originally posted by Section20z View Post

If rent is still being paid why would you want damaged property back ?
    I was referring to the OP's situation.

Leave a comment:

• Section20z
    replied

I agree landlords need to make a judgement call on abandonment, I've just done one myself. But not whilst the rent is still being paid.
    If rent is still being paid why would you want damaged property back ?

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
    it would currently take at least 15 months to get the property back from a standing start. Its surely a no-brainer.
    It's not so clear cut for me. Some of my properties require licenses, and it looks like more will do in future. If I were prosecuted for illegal eviction, it would preclude me from being a fit and proper person so I would have to employ a letting agent which would easily wipe out a years rent in commission fees alone.

I agree landlords need to make a judgement call on abandonment, I've just done one myself. But not whilst the rent is still being paid.

Leave a comment:

• Section20z
    replied
    Many tenants will not realise that running a cannabis farm does not invalidate a tenancy and they have most likely moved on to their next property.
    If you are really that nervous then ask Police/LA for a closure order.

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    How do you know they are not in hospital or in prison or in lockdown with a relative?
    What, and paying someone to water the plants while they're away!

I agree that more investigation would be needed to ensure this was a sensible risk, but given what the Police have told the OP, I think its already headed that way.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Good point boletus, it would then still be AST. Serve ntq & s21

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X