Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord withholding full deposit and asking for £85

Hi there

i am wondering if anyone could offer some advice. Our landlord (through their agent) initially wrote to us a couple of days after our tenancy ending asking us to agree to some charges, some of which were TBC so we declined to agree and said we’re waiting for a full list of defects.

2 weeks later, we received a list of defects including damage to a sofa and to the hob, none of which were on the original email.

the agent/landlord hasn’t used an independent inventory company and we haven’t seen a checkout inventory. We didn’t do a joint inspection after the tenancy ended, this wasn’t offered to us.

We have offered to pay £50 for cleaning (they want £225), £5 for lightbulbs and £10 for a mattress protector (which we don’t think was ever there but it is in the inventory so I guess we have no choice)

alongside the £225 for cleaning, they want to charge us
    £95 for a failed attempt to clean a sofa cushion
    £100 towards replacement sofa
    £330 for a new hob (apparently it was too dirty do needs replacing) We cleaned it but it was old and scuffed.
    £75 to repair a £1coin sized dent in a wall. (Inventory says the wall has scuffs. We didn’t cause the dent, or even noticed it).
    £20 for a mattress protector
    £30 for 3 lightbulbs.

the original email made no reference to hob or sofa.

Agency has said they’re keeping our deposit of £795 and we’re required to pay a further £80.

does anyone have any advice?

thanks

For how long were you living in the property?

Comment

When did your T commence?
      Send a copy of the move in Inv+ TA and LL proposed deductions to Deposit Scheme ADR.

Comment

Stick to your guns. Dispute the charges you think are unreasonable and if you can't reach agreement, suggest ADR as Mariner says. The landlord won't get much more than you've offered, (if anything).

Comment

Originally posted by Jon66 View Post
          For how long were you living in the property?
          18months.

Moved in on 1st April 2029, out on 30th Sept 2020. Paid rent on 1st of the month without fail.

Comment

Thanks all.

is it unusual that 25days after leaving they haven’t provided a check-out inventory.

Comment

Unless they can evidence the 'damage' by an inventory it's difficult to see how they can evidence any damage. What damage did you cause?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon66 View Post
                Unless they can evidence the 'damage' by an inventory it's difficult to see how they can evidence any damage. What damage did you cause?
                Thanks for taking the time to respond Jon.

they claim we caused two Small stains to a sofa cushion. They say they spent £95 trying to clean it which didn’t work and £100 contribution towards a new sofa. They only mentioned this 15days after we moved out and after they had already emailed details of an inspection where this wasn’t mentioned. We didn’t cause the stains.

they say the hob needed replacing because it wasn’t clean enough. New hob £325. We disagree. It was old when we moved in and we used it everyday for 18months so there was wear and tear. Again, this wasn’t raised in the email following an initial inspection, we were only told about this 15days later.

Their procedures seem really haphazard.

Comment

So, you moved in 2029!!!?

Clever.

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
                    So, you moved in 2029!!!?

Clever.

Obviously it was a typo, I meant 2019.

Go you!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Can Council cut trees down, without permission?
                      by amy131
                      I had a tree fall down from council owned land into a property I own, it was resting on top of one of my trees and sticking out into the garden. I reported it and it took a number of months before contractors turned up one day and removed it. My tenants informed me it had been removed, I had no notification...
                      01-12-2020, 20:24 PM
                    • Can Council cut trees down, without permission?
                      by missmuffit
                      Can the council cut Conifer hedge without notifying the tenant?

I ask because 2 years ago I asked council to remove a 15/20 foot hedge in the property next door which was empty at this time, they didn't give a definite "Yes" but said "It would probably get done at some...
                      01-12-2020, 13:26 PM
                    • Reply to Deposit not protected in time
                      by Codger
                      The agent has been very careless.I hold deposits myself because I do not trust them with my money. But they can be slow handing it over and then you have to chase the deadline.
                      All that hassle for a small sum when you are trusting a tenant with a major asset!
                      01-12-2020, 20:19 PM
                    • Deposit not protected in time
                      by Laura1604
                      Afternoon all, My current tenant is now leaving and i would like to make a few small claims from the deposit. I have found out that the letting agent that i used to set up this let did not protect my tenants deposit in the required 30 days. My questions are:
                      Can i still make a claim from the...
                      01-12-2020, 14:37 PM
                    • Reply to Hedge trimming - sorry!
                      by Champy72
                      It is separated. It is not accessible from the garden (which actually had no plants at all when we moved in). If you picture the house from the frontage, to the right hand side there is a strip of land which runs between the private lane and the neighbours garage and garden. Everyone who has seen it...
                      01-12-2020, 20:17 PM
                    • Hedge trimming - sorry!
                      by Champy72
                      After signing the AST and moving into a rented property, LL turned up one day with a copy of the Land Title showing a parcel of land along the side of the next property which he stated would be our responsibility to maintain, including pruning/trimming of shrubs etc.

The inventory does...
                      01-12-2020, 15:18 PM
                    • Reply to Section 20B
                      by Section20z
                      I presume you didn't mind maintenance being carried out.
                      Maybe you can ask for time to pay if it's unexpected ?
                      01-12-2020, 20:08 PM
                    • Section 20B
                      by rabennett
                      Our landlord did not issue the service charge accounts of expenditure for 1 jan to 31 dec 2018 till 2 July 2020. This was outside the 18 month limit. Does that mean the landlord cannot demand the service charge for that year?
                      All we received was a budget of anticipated costs.
                      01-12-2020, 10:14 AM
                    • Reply to Electric charger
                      by Section20z
                      True but none of mine even have parking so not my problem 🤭...
                      01-12-2020, 20:06 PM
                    • Electric charger
                      by jase222
                      Had a tenant of my dad's ring up last night and he's bought a electric car and wants a charging point fixed to the wall next to drive, I haven't said anything yet but what are the opinions of landlords on here.
                      He has said he will pay for installation and yearly test but didn't seem to like it...
                      01-12-2020, 12:51 PM
                    Working...
                    X