Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is responsible for repairs?

Hi,

Our letting agent has gotten in contact with us to say that the tenant has requested the slatted window blinds have been 'pulled down' in some way off their fixture. These blinds were top quality and fitted 3-4 years ago professionally and have had absolutely no problems before, including when the tenants moved in four months ago. I raised this with the agent and requested that the tenants pay for the repair as this does not seem like general wear and tear and they broke while the tenant was operating them.

The estate agent is saying that this will likely go into a dispute through TDS for the payment to be take from the deposit as they sent over one of their contractors to investigate with a view to completing the work (without agreement from us) and they said that this 'may be due to general use'. An inventory was not completed prior to the tenants moving in so I was just wondering if it is worth proceeding on to dispute this or is it best for me to just pay for the repairs?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Can you get the people who installed them to replace them and give an opinion on why they came down?

If the tenant (and the agent) haven't a track record of asking for things to be repaired that normally don't break, I think I'd accept the contractors word for it, this time at least.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Always complete an inventory or you (and your tenants) will find it very hard to prove who did what, when!

Comment

Thanks for your responses. Definitely, in hindsight I regret not having an inventory so I will definitely do this in future! I am working on the suggestion of seeing whether the installation company can have a look to check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Pippac2017 View Post
          The estate agent is saying that this will likely go into a dispute through TDS for the payment to be take from the deposit
          If the agent found the tenant and did the paperwork, for them not to have completed a check in / condition report is unprofessional and very poor service.

And this advice from them is 100% wrong / made up on the spot.
          You can't deduct things from the tenant's deposit mid tenancy without their agreement and you'd be daft to do it.
          This has nothing to do with the deposit or TDS at all.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X