Gas Safe Checks and Covid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Safe Checks and Covid

I have a small block of tenanted flats and a gas safe check is due for them in two weeks time (boilers/hobs). The occupants are long time tenants with whom I have a good rapport. In these uncertain times I wondered if they could refuse an engineer entry into their flats bearing in mind current guidelines and perhaps self isolating even if there's nothing wrong with them......What could be my potential consequences if entry was refused?.....Thanks

You would have no gas safety certificate (obvious).

That would not be a lawful situation, but provided you can show that you have made reasonable efforts to gain access and that the tenant has declined, HSSE will not prosecute (and you would possibly avoid liability in the event of a gas related catasrophe).
    Three documented attempts seems to be regarded as reasonable.

And you won't be able to serve a valid s21 notice until you have one in place.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

JPKeates....Thank you, that's exactly what I thought but since posting my query I will ask the RLA or should I say the NRLA for their advice.I'm a member and the advice is free and perhaps help in the unlikely event of having to show good intentions....Cheers

Comment

If you have a good rapport you should be able to get their consent by reminding them that this is a safety issue and to benefit them. It is a very quick procedure and the gas guy need touch very little. Ask him to wear a mask and gloves (if practical) and ask your tenants to stay in another room. I have had no problems getting mine done so hopefully neither will you.

Comment

jpucng62...I would be very surprised if any of the tenants refused. They all have been with me a long time, likewise the gas engineer but as I've previously mentioned these are funny times and some people get paranoid about others invading their space.....Thank you

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X