No hot water for almost a month £1500 pm rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoshyT View Post
    Plenty of property out there and you can negotiate way cheaper than advertised rent. I'd say a good 15-20% off.

Done this and got the T-shirt....
    .....and then joined a professional landlord’s forum to whine on about how bad cheap landlords are.

Comment

Well consider me in dreamland buddy!
      Agreed.

BTW, how is your 2020 Corona crash dream prediction going for you buddy?;

Now, with Corona all my Christmases appear to have arrived at once. I will prob go end of year with a 35-40% deposit as prices are tanking. 35-40% is based on my valuations.
      ​​​​​
      ​​​​​​
      https://www.financialreporter.co.uk/...3-halifax.html House price growth rises to 7.3%

Comment

£1500 pcm is prob av rent for London.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post

Agreed.

BTW, how is your 2020 Corona crash dream prediction going for you buddy?;

https://www.financialreporter.co.uk/...3-halifax.html House price growth rises to 7.3%

JoshyT is always good for a bit of entertainment. He’ll be in the estate agents office at the end of the year negotiating a 20% reduction off of his future home.

Comment

Originally posted by KTC View Post
            Doesn't even mention timeframe. Everything is based on precedents from past cases.
            My point was that the obligation is not simply to fix things but to "keep them in good order".
            That (taken literally) means if it stops working it's a breach (because it's instantly not in good order).

But the courts have taken a different approach.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post

Of course it hasn’t, the tenant still owes the rent.

The landlord just has to act reasonably in fixing it. Until that can be done, the tenant just has to “put up with it” like everyone else.

Edit: agree with the far better KTC explanation given directly above.
              Cannot see a 4 week delay as reasonable.Do you think landlord would manage for 4 weeks in cold?I dont think you could,my friend,do you?

Comment

My personal record (in my own home) is four weeks (heat only, I had an emersion heater for water).

This time of year, spare part took a while and the busy season meant that the central heating firm would only book the engineer's visit when the spare part turned up.

This time of year is notorious for long central heating lead times.
                But the landlord/agent should have supplied alternative heating at least.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Buy yout own part and book own plumber-max of a week if you know several fitters.The parts available overnight on internet.

Comment

At the risk of sounding flippant, boil a kettle and have a wash at the sink. It's what people did before they had inside bathrooms.

Comment

Originally posted by gnvqsos View Post

Buy yout own part and book own plumber-max of a week if you know several fitters.The parts available overnight on internet.
                      Of course they are mate.

A regiment of Gas Safe Registered engineers all queuing up to fit some crap you’ve expertly diagnosed off the internet on the cheap.

Comment

A month feels to long unless there is something special about the heating system that makes the spares hard to get. I think it depends a bit on occupants as well, for example a single person living alone can probably cope better than a family with small children/babies.

Hard to tell if your landlord was being reasonable without knowing the quote,,, they might have had just cause to not use the first person if for instance they were charging more than other gas fitters. That said I would not leave occupants for a month with no hot water if they did not have an imersion.

All the best

Comment

Hopefully, today's the day (Friday)!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                          X