Help needed, owed compensation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help needed, owed compensation?

I'm a student tenant currently who's not had a working fridge freezer for roughly 10 days now. it was reported as broken as soon as we realised, and the maintenance 'forgot' to come until the day after. He informed us this was broke and we needed a new one, nine days later we are still waiting on a new one. I have rang everyday and each day they tell me 'they'll know more tomorrow' they're saying that it's been on order for 10 days but weirdly still have no delivery date and still cannot tell us when it is. My house lost about £50 worth of frozen food due to this and we have not being eating right for the past 10 days without a fridge freezer and not being able to get fresh food everyday due to corona. Can anyone give me any advice on what to do or whether we're entitled to any compensation for the lost goods and pushing on 2 weeks without a working fridge freezer.

You are not entitled to compensation for the contents of the fridge freezer.
    Sh1t happens and you can insure against it, but it's not likely to be anyone's fault.

10 days without is probably pushing it a bit, but times are not usual and getting someone to deliver, install and test something in a student property right now is going to be difficult.
    You've lost a tiny bit of amenity, so you could argue for compensation, but it's going to be a tiny fraction of the rent and I wouldn't bother.
    You

Obviously, if the replacement takes much longer, your case gets a bit stronger.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Our fridge broke down recently and the LL wanted to come and see for herself which took about a week, she then ordered a new one but there was a delay as an awful lot of items are currentLy out of stock, apparently due to Covid. We do now have a lovely new one, but had to wait- no ones fault. Perhaps you should take out contents insurance which normally covers you for freezer contents. I don’t believe the LL can be held responsible.

Comment

I don't know if its connected, but I tried to order a replacement washer-dryer for one of my properties recently and no-one had any stock of any of the Which/review site recommended models. All that was available was the poorer or averagely performing machines, (not talking about price here). I ended up getting the existing machine repaired.

Comment

So you threw £50 of food away 10 days ago as soon as the freezer stopped working?

Frozen food would take a couple of days to defrost in a non-working freezer, and still stay very cold for another four or five days (unless you leave the door open it's still an insulated cold box).

Even defristed and at room temperature most stuff is going to last at least another four or five days. Then cook it and it's still safe cold for another couple of days.

That's easily long enough to use 50 quids worth of food in 10 days.

I thought students were into being 'green' and not throwing things away unnecessarily?

Comment

nukecad,

Really, have you tried leaving milk , sausages or ice cream at room temperature for 5 days ?
            ​​​​​Poor advice that could make someone seriously ill .

I am appalled at the number of landlords that think this is acceptable. AO.com have numerous models for next day delivery.
            Install and test ??? Pretty sure even a student can put a plug in the socket (or look up a YouTube video to find out )

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post

Really, have you tried leaving milk , sausages or ice cream at room temperature for 5 days ?
              ​​​​​Poor advice that could make someone seriously ill .
              No one has suggested leaving any of the above "at room temperature".
              What was said, quite correctly, is that frozen food would take a couple of days to defrost, and that the freezer section of the fridge-freezer would remain cold enough to keep the food safely chilled for a few days longer- as long as the door is only opened occasionally and closed again quickly.

A decent, well packed, unpowered cool box can still have ice in after 2-3 days, and keep milk and sausages safe to eat for four days in temperatures in the high 30s (I know this from personal experience).
              Ice cream, I would eat on the first day.

As for the OP's suggestion that they have not been able to get fresh food due to coronavcorona that's just rubbish. It might be inconvenient, but it's not difficult at all (unless, perhaps, the property is in a rural area)- and it's also extremely easy to find alternative foods that don't require refrigeration.

I do agree that it should have been possible for the landlord to arrange a replacement in 10 days, and definitely within two weeks. Perhaps not the model they'd prefer to buy, but that's not an excuse for not getting one.

Regardless, two weeks without a fridge-freezer is a fairly minor inconvenience for anyone who isn't looking to make it into a big deal.

Comment

a fridge-freezer is 'non-essential white goods, which the LL has no duty to repair/replace unless listed on Tenancy Inventory,

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
                  Yes, yes, and yes.
                  From 2000 to 2010 I rented a room above a pub - no fridge in there, I just bought an electric steamer for veg and a single ring camping stove for things that couldn't be steamed, tinned steak etc.
                  After a bit of practice, and using a few tricks, I could cook a joint of meat and do a full roast beef dinner from scratch (including yorkshires) in the steamer.

Vegetables last for weeks/months in a cupboard, people used to harvest them and store/use them all through the winter.

What do you think people used to do before every home had a fridge, let alone a freezer?

not being able to get fresh food everyday due to corona.
                  Have you not considered that there may be a similar problem with getting white goods - due to corona?

Comment

I'm sorry , I clearly have a different moral compass. I treat my tenants how I would expect to be treated and I wouldn't expect my wife and kids to live without a fridge for 10 days.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X