Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mrs Jones
    replied
    Going back to the original query - I am amazed at this landlord's behaviour. I thought it was totally against the law to harrass a tenant in this way. One of my houses has a garage which is not let with the house. I use it for storage - and occasionally call at the house to collect any mail. Although they often invite me in, I always refuse as I would consider it an intrusion on their privacy for me to accept (and I wouldn't want them to think I am checking up on them without giving proper notice) - my managing agent visits on my behalf after giving appropriate notice etc. and I believe this is enough.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    See http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=10884.

Leave a comment:

• attilathelandlord
    replied
    Me too. I should imagine the Moderator will jump ony real nastiness tho.

Leave a comment:

• bagpuss
    replied
    I've noticed a lot of 'arguments' going on here over the last few weeks and I must say it's worried me. I needed advice when I first found this website and I got it from people who genuinely wanted to help and who seemed to know what they were talking about. Of course I doubled checked what I was told, but using their advice as a starting point, which was extremely helpful.

If this site degenerates into a name-calling free-for-all it will be very sad. It's happened on other forums of which I've been a member and it usually heralded the end of the site being of much interest or worth to anyone. I, for one, ended up walking away from them - metaphorically speaking.

I really, really hope it doesn't happen here too.

Leave a comment:

• attilathelandlord
    replied
    This is true, there are a lot of interesting legal arguments posted on this website which give pause for thought, but eventually, the advice here, from whoever posted it is worth exactly what we paid for it, i.e. nothing as most people, even if they go to the source material, won't know how to use it.

There is often a lot of case law also which may contradict.

I take this forum with a great deal of humour and a massive pinch of salt, but if I need any real legal advice that I have to rely on, I pay a qualified solicitor/barrister.

Leave a comment:

• agent46
    replied
    Originally posted by attilathelandlord View Post

We're here to discuss the finer points of legal aspects to letting.

No-one is required to back up anything they say. It's nice if they do, because then we can see where the argument is coming from.
    And that's precisely the central plank of my argument. A discussion does not just involve 2 or more parties shouting "yes it is!", "no it isn't!" at each other. A discussion involves an exchange of views with supportng arguments which are,in turn, called into question by the other participants -this helps enlighten both the participants and the spectators (also known as dialectic reasoning), whereas in the former situation nobody learns anything apart from who has the loudest voice.

Of course it is nice when people provide supporting arguments - by rationalising their points, it shows that they actually understand why the positions they (frequently bombastically) put forward are correct. Any fool can gather knowledge and parrot it back at others, but true understanding of a subject is something completely different altogether.

Leave a comment:

• attilathelandlord
    replied
    Res ipsa loquitur.

We're not here to to make monkeys out of anyone. We're here to discuss the finer points of legal aspects to letting.

No-one is required to back up anything they say. It's nice if they do, because then we can see where the argument is coming from.

You take the bits from this forum that are helpful and disregard the rest. It's not as if we really know the legal qualifications of anyone who posts on this board.

But all this ego crap is quite frankly, a waste of time.

It's a shame because I really like to get down to the legal nitty gritty and having been around lawyers for a long time now, I know very well that 3 lawyers gathered together in one place will give you at least 5 different opinions on one subject!

Leave a comment:

• agent46
    replied
    Don't get me wrong, I always enjoy information and a challening debate, what I object to is the dry drunk, personal nastiness that goes with it at times.
    Well perhaps if a certain person either apologised or came up with cogent reasoning to back up his remarks, then I would let the matter drop.....

Don't get me wrong. I'm not at all averse to having my advice questioned or even blown out of the water by a better argument - I am regularly handed my **** in a basket by one of m'learned friends and I think nothing of it.

What I do object to however, is someone trying to make a monkey out of me. If people want to get into a "who's the biggest smart****" competition, then that's fine by me because I'm more than capable of challenging for the all-in World Heavyweight Championship of that particular discipline if necessary. I'd prefer not to, but if the challenge is laid, then I'll respond.

Leave a comment:

• attilathelandlord
    replied
    Don't get me wrong, I always enjoy information and a challening debate, what I object to is the dry drunk, personal nastiness that goes with it at times.

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    I wouldn't worry about Agent46 too much he'll get bored and drift away sooner or later, they all do.
    Well I hope he doesn't - unlike most of the "they" to whom you refer (and to whom good riddance), as far as I can see Agent46 knows his stuff and brings a welcome fresh perspective to this forum. In particular he has challenged some of the oft-cited chestnuts which seem to have become 'gospel' here, when in fact they may be no more than hearsay traceable back to specific individuals. Yesterday's spat about S21s (probably) being a case in point.

Leave a comment:

• Shawnus
    replied
    Good luck with that. If you know the storm will come at least bring it on your terms...sounds like she is gearing up for it anyway with this mystical furniture trick

Leave a comment:

• pelar
    replied
    thanks Jeffrey

My feelings exactly but I don't want to be unfair (despite her psychotic tendencies!) so I shall refuse an inspection on this occasion. I know she will issue a notice to quit (she said she'd do this if I didn't comply with ALL the requests in the very long-winded letter she sent to me on 28/3, inspection being ONE of the requests). thanks for your advice

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Yes, this frequency of visitations is clearly unreasonable and unwarranted.
    If there's no inventory, what evidence does L possess re the mythical items of furniture?

Leave a comment:

• pelar
    replied
    Cool it boys and girls!!

I didn't mean to start a war with this question. I don't MIND giving the LL access twice a year, it's her property and she has a right to see I'm taking good care of it (which I am). BUT, she called at the house on 20th March, had a rep (friend of hers) call on 1/4, 10/4, 28/4 and she now wants to call again on Saturday 2 May. I've had a gutfull of them both and just wanted to know if legally, I could refuse access on this occasion?
    Also the house was part-furnished when I rented it but with no inventory. She now mentions items of furniture I've never even seen, saying she hopes they're "safe". I'm at a loss with this woman. I really am.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by Colincbayley View Post
    Not my opinion at all, it is the view of the OFT, which only a court could enforce.

But of course you would be aware of that wouldn't you.
    Section 11(6)'s implied term cannot be 'unfair', by definition.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X