No Pets allowed to be made illegal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Pets allowed to be made illegal

First reading today of a bill to make 'no pets allowed' clauses illegal, which received cross party support.

https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/news/...#comment-16252

Given that the additional pet deposit was made illegal, how do they expect us to deliver clean, well maintained properties to new tenants when we can't automatically make tenants pay for carpet cleaning & other damage caused by pets?

The damage done in my properties by pets (allowed & not allowed) include:
    scratches on glass of brand new patio doors; laminate ruined by pee; chewed kitchen cupboards; frayed carpets from scratching; poo left all around the garden - very difficult to put right without major expense so the next tenant gets a less well presented property. Not to mention dander & hair in the carpet and underlay - impossible to remove!

I understand that people want pets, but as ever, the few have ruined it for the many and it is just another reason to leave the business!

Thoughts?

I am a lifelong (at least whilst in the UK) Tory voter.

But these folk need to be kicked out, even if I have to suppress my vomiting in the voting booth.

The alternative is a bunch with fascist moronic antidemocratic Marxist thugs sitting in the sidelines. But perhaps that is the price that has to be paid hopefully temporarily to convey a clear message about a return to a society of law, contract and civility and mutual agreement between people - not political thuggery.

I think the inability to contract with regard to pets in a property one owns would translate for me (high quality, fully furnished properties, with on average 1 year rental durations) to at least a 30% uplift in rental pricing. My rents in this sector have already gone up by around 15% in the past year.

Comment

This will be the final nail in the residential market coffin for me. Just not worth the hassle anymore. Surely this will create an even smaller pool of available properties to rent

Comment

Originally posted by darkstar View Post
        This will be the final nail in the residential market coffin for me.
        It won't be the final nail in the coffin for the rental market. It will be the final nail in the coffin for decent high-quality and cost effective rentals based on mutual respect and agreement.

How to recognise dystopia - the not-good place https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a6kbU88wu0

Comment

Originally posted by darkstar View Post
          This will be the final nail in the residential market coffin for me. Just not worth the hassle anymore. Surely this will create an even smaller pool of available properties to rent
          Ditto for me....... my properties are very well fitted out and i do not allow pets, so this, along with all the other recent nonsense, will mean i am certainly out of the PRS once my current tenants leave, it is just going too far for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post

Ditto for me....... my properties are very well fitted out and i do not allow pets, so this, along with all the other recent nonsense, will mean i am certainly out of the PRS once my current tenants leave, it is just going too far for me.
            Not quite sure who is going to offer medium-term furnished properties --- so the vast number of people who need these (overseas students with families, people doing short term jobs, academics on sabbatical, politicians living in their constituencies) will be royally stuffed.

But Shelter (who seem to make the laws these days) couldn't give a rats arse about these people.

Comment

My leasehold flat does not allow any pets according to my lease. I imagine they won't be able to force this on people like me? If so, one of the very few benefits of leasehold property such as mine....

Comment

Originally posted by leasee123 View Post
                My leasehold flat does not allow any pets according to my lease. I imagine they won't be able to force this on people like me? If so, one of the very few benefits of leasehold property such as mine....
                You think not eh?

You won't be able to put it in your contract. It will simply create a conflict. FH will enforce a contract you will not be able to uphold. Which will mean that you will not be able to safely let it out at all.

I don't think much deep thought has gone into much of this, nor do the politicians have any understanding at all of the things about which they legislate. They are guided by puff pieces from the likes of Shelter.

Comment

I already don't let with white goods. Now I won't be letting with floor coverings either.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
                    I already don't let with white goods. Now I won't be letting with floor coverings either.
                    ... or floors

or curtains, curtain rails, ... you can have a fumigated box. And if you need a place for a year or so, you can stay in a hotel.

I have had great fun replying to the dozens of Rightmove requests I get from prospective tenants with pets and imperfect records ... "Sorry the government and Shelter say I can't choose you. Bye".

Comment

This is what happens in a country with uncontrolled immigration and a welfare society that encourages people to breed without any feelings of responsibility as to how they or their future generations will put a roof over their own heads........ we end up with a housing shortage, and landlords will always be blamed for the housing shortage because the majority can’t see the real reasons for the housing shortage. The big nasty landlord that’s buying all the houses is seen as the person at fault for dogs being in rescue centres and for families suffering ‘mental health issues’ after being separated from their dog.
                      This new legislation will not make it any easier for young people to afford homes and will not in any way reduce the amount of dogs in dog rescue centres. All it does is give more rights to people who can’t take responsibility for their own actions.
                      Buying renovating and selling is starting to become more appealing now but with the government induced recession looming i won’t be buying anything for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
                        I am a lifelong (at least whilst in the UK) Tory voter.

But these folk need to be kicked out, even if I have to suppress my vomiting in the voting booth.

The alternative is a bunch with fascist moronic antidemocratic Marxist thugs sitting in the sidelines. But perhaps that is the price that has to be paid hopefully temporarily to convey a clear message about a return to a society of law, contract and civility and mutual agreement between people - not political thuggery.

I think the inability to contract with regard to pets in a property one owns would translate for me (high quality, fully furnished properties, with on average 1 year rental durations) to at least a 30% uplift in rental pricing. My rents in this sector have already gone up by around 15% in the past year.
                        Completely agree with this. I don’t want labour getting in but this current Tory lot are a disgrace. Johnson, Hancock, Cummings, Patel, Raab, Sunak and any others I haven’t mentioned need to go. The trouble is there just isn’t a better party as an alternative.

Comment

At this stage it's just an MP trying to publicise a point; it only takes one MP to block it and fewer than 1% ever get through.

Comment

Yeah totally agree with you BTL Investor. The BOE had a study to show that it has been the lowering of interest rates over the past few decades that caused house prices to rise so much in the UK. But surely immigration has to be blamed for some of the rise? I do not know how much of a factor immigration has had vs interest rates, but I would be surprised if it was anything less than significant.

It has an impact on the hard working young trying to get onto the housing ladder. The problem with the immigration we have had so far (mostly low skilled) is that is causes areas where they move to to turn into ghettos where you have a large turnover (due to more BTLs) and it causes the nice areas to rise in price massively because the "wealthy" want to move away from he ghettos. The young who earn very decent wages are stuck with the ghetto areas if they really want to buy.

I am a son of immigrants (they came in the 70s) and even I think it has gotten out of control. I am British first and foremost and what I want to see in this country are hard working people bringing real skills and innovation. None of this low/no skill crap.

Comment

We are a rent seeking economy and immigration encourages this in a massive way at the detriment of real productivity and economic progress.

And yes I am part of the problem as I too am a landlord rent seeker. But what choice do I have to try to survive today's world?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X