Boiler repair - tenant checked into hotel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boiler repair - tenant checked into hotel

Hi I have a tenant who has checked into a hotel due to the fact that the boiler broke down and says she will reduce the amount in the next month’s rent.
    I have never agreed for her to check into a hotel in the first place.
    She reported there is an issue with the heating on Sunday night and I called the boiler cover guys first thing on Monday but they only managed to send an engineer on Tuesday afternoon. The engineer realised there was a leak and hence shutdown the boiler on Tuesday afternoon so they stopped getting hot water as well on Tuesday afternoon.
    Today is Wednesday and in spite of chasing the boiler repair company repeatedly I could not them to attend site or confirm the date when the part will be procured to fix the issue with the boiler.
    Meanwhile my tenant sent me an email to say they want to check into a hotel to have a shower as she has two school going children and a small child and cant manage without hot water this morning.
    I’ve been trying to get an engineer out all day today and have been on the phone that I could only reply back to her email at around 4 pm today to say I can provide her with extra electrical heaters and a kettle if need be and also offered for them to come to my house which is only 5 mins away to have a shower.
    However she replied back to me to say she could not wait as her children had come home sweaty from school and hence she checked into a hotel.
    What are my options right now? Any advise on this matter will be highly appreciated.

IMO rent remains due and she did not ask your permission to withhold future rent before moving in to hotel. You acted quickly to get a repairer/ offer alternative heating

Comment

You have done nothing wrong.The person could heat water on stove or in kettle.Simply update her and send her phone no of insurer and let her communicate.I would be tempted to get work done .Set deadline,if breached hire fitter and bill insurer.

Comment

I think you've done all you can in the situation including what many would not in offering your own facilities. I think, given the T's circumstances she would have been in her right to argue for some reduction in rent due to the inconvenience of not having all that she paid for. Perhaps you could negotiate a reasonable amount toward her hotel and no more based on that. It does seem very knee-jerk to book into a hotel which is prob an indication of how much stress it's causing her... or how much she's willing to take you for a ride depending on her personality. Because the dust hasn't settled, I'd tread carefully as I wouldn't want things to escalate.

How much is the hotel per night and is she only getting one room for the four of them?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Landlord opening ex-tenant's post
          by Lawcruncher
          I was hoping no one would ask that! I have to go back a long time to when I learned it. I did do some Googling hoping to find some authority, but failed to do so.

When you think about it the point of posting is a logical moment to choose because it achieves certainty and is the moment when...
          30-10-2020, 11:16 AM
        • Landlord opening ex-tenant's post
          by DanielM
          Morning all

Do any of you have any experience or knowledge of what to do in this situation.

The landlord has been opening the ex-tenant's post and found a cheque and saying he isn't going to pass it on to the tenant because the ex-tenant owes rent arrears.

I know...
          28-10-2020, 10:30 AM
          by Hudson01
          I have been in my new house for 4 years now and still get post for the other owners...... they did leave with a lot of debt though !!! And funnily enough no forwarding address with anyone...... strange that. I have found that returning the post to the sender does little and it just keeps coming, i now...
          30-10-2020, 11:00 AM
        • Reply to Pre Covid evictions
          by jpkeates
          The downside is that, I imagine, fairly often, the landlord thinks that there's no chance of actually collecting anything and doesn't bother with enforcement, possibly thinking the ccj is "enough",

I'm sure it used to be the case that you could simply ask the court to register...
          30-10-2020, 10:32 AM
        • Pre Covid evictions
          by nreid
          My tenant stopped paying rent in August of 2019, and in November a notice was served. Beginning of February a possession order was granted and a judgement for money. Then the lockdown, and you can imagine the rest of the story. Now 13 months of unpaid rent. Am going out of my mind here, and nervous...
          17-09-2020, 19:56 PM
          by hybrice
          I was told it affords the Defendant one last chance to comply and pay up between the Order being made and enforcement being taken, not sure how true that is but seems reasonable....
          30-10-2020, 10:20 AM
          by jpkeates
          That has always been the case for orders made during possession hearings.
          No idea why....
          30-10-2020, 09:30 AM
          by jpkeates
          Other than the postal rule, could you point me at a source to support this?

This isn't particularly relevant to this thread, it's been something that's fascinated since it was a discussion while I was studying law that was inconclusive.
          That was a while ago, but it's bothered me off...
          30-10-2020, 09:27 AM
          by pebblepebble
          As a matter of interest how long it it acceptable to be expected to return to sender? When I moved here I did it for 6 months then everything that came after that went into the bin. They did have a postal divert (I assume for 6 months as we started to get more post after that time) but some things...
          30-10-2020, 09:17 AM
        • Reply to AST Contract
          by Lawcruncher
          To avoid that being an unfair term I would rephrase that so that the obligation is not to do anything which which would be a breach of the lease. A copy of the lease needs to be given to the tenant so they have time to read it. If the lease has a schedule of "regulations" dealing with matters...
          30-10-2020, 08:42 AM
        Working...
        X