Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant doesn’t move out and mistakenly I have released the deposit

Hi,

I’m dumb I know and need some help please.

my two tenants asked to leave my flat and rather than giving me the 4 weeks notice as per contract they asked to leave in 2 weeks time which I agreed.
    On the day that they suppose to move out, 1 of the tenant refused to move if the deposit wasn’t returned to him on the spot.
    I rightfully protected the deposit with DPS, however my mistake was that I did release the full deposit thinking that the money were hitting their bank account for them to physically leave the property and surrending the keys. However the DPS confirmed the release and with an automatic email said that the deposit will be released in 5 working days. At that point one of the tenants refused to leave.
    He said that when the deposit will reach his account he will leave, however I’m concerned that he won’t and cause me lots of troubles.

What can I do to protect myself? Should I call DOS to see if they stop releasing the deposit? Should I trust and hope he will just leave in few days?

help please as I feel I’m in a tricky (bad) situation now.

thank you everyone for help!

Worst case scenario assuming they've given you valid NTQ which you could accept, they could then be charged double rent beyond the 4 week notice period...

Comment

They communicated verbally over the phone and then I have some text talking about the leaving day and the return of the deposit. I heard about the double rent charge, not sure how to apply that though.

Also, I am afraid they won’t have any money to repay.....can I stop the deposit release from DPS after it has been released and it’s processing?

should I start a professional eviction process?

to threat me they said that under Covid they can stay and not pay rent...I believe the covid scheme has expired for evictions...

how should I proceed?

Comment

Originally posted by Zaffiro View Post
        They communicated verbally over the phone and then I have some text talking about the leaving day and the return of the deposit. I heard about the double rent charge, not sure how to apply that though.

Also, I am afraid they won’t have any money to repay.....can I stop the deposit release from DPS after it has been released and it’s processing?

should I start a professional eviction process?

to threat me they said that under Covid they can stay and not pay rent...I believe the covid scheme has expired for evictions...

how should I proceed?
        Depends if the text counts as a valid notice to quit - if it does then https://www.astlepaterson.co.uk/when...t-double-rent/

If not, you'd could submit a section 21, along with a section 8 (rent arrears). If they're more than 6 months in arrears they are prioritising hearings.

Comment

What does the text state?

Comment

It doesn't sound like it really matters whether the OP has rights they could use in normal times. These are not normal times and the tenant is threatening to stay put and pay no rent and it is likely that it would take many months to get them out.

I think that under the circumstances I would let them stay the extra few days and hope they leave once the deposit is repaid. I would send them legal letters about the consequences of holding over in the meantime though and keep the pressure up in case they think you're a soft touch.

Comment

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Date problem on section21
                by jpkeates
                Don't believe a council housing officer's advice about your notices to tenants.

All notices will be received later than they're dated, that's how they work.
                But, if you didn't allow time for the post to be delivered (two working days, first class), the notice may have been too sh...
                26-10-2020, 09:32 AM
              • Date problem on section21
                by alecmartin
                Hi. I issued a section 21 notice dated 02.09.20. On it I put the date of 02.12.20 as the date after which the tenant should vacate. Do I have to reissue now or can I just extend the date to take account of the six months notice period (I issued one the week before when it was three months but they said...
                26-10-2020, 08:47 AM
                by alecmartin
                The housing officer in the council. Said it had been backdated. I can only assume because it was received later than it was dated. ( stupidly I didn’t get proof of postage )...
                26-10-2020, 09:25 AM
              • Reply to Small claims to get deposit back
                by jpkeates
                You can retain a solicitor, but the small claims process is quite simple and much cheaper....
                26-10-2020, 09:20 AM
              • Small claims to get deposit back
                by May79
                I would appreciate any advice regards taking my LL to court for deposit return.
                Deposit is held with DPS, it took a month for LL to supply the deposit ID so I could request the deposit back. Then they didn’t respond to my claim and I was advised by DPS to complete a statutory declaration, between...
                25-10-2020, 23:30 PM
                by jpkeates
                On 2nd September the minimum notice period for a s21 notice was six months, so the notice isn't valid.

Who said "[the previous notice] took too long"?
                26-10-2020, 09:14 AM
              • Reply to Cannabis Farm discovery
                by jpkeates
                My post begins "If there's no sign of anyone living there" and the rest of what I wrote is based on that assumption.
                If someone does appear to be living there, my advice would be completely different.

However, if the front door's been broken down and then secured, the door...
                26-10-2020, 09:08 AM
              • Cannabis Farm discovery
                by TonyIles
                Got a phone call from letting agent yesterday to say front door had been kicked in, also side window, no sign of tenant, nothing taken,. but substantial amount of cannabis plants found, and mains electricity had been bypassed, police called, now scene of crime, boarded up, awaiting contact with CID,...
                25-10-2020, 11:23 AM
              • Reply to Deposit protection question
                by Lots on
                Thanks everyone. It’s just custodial with the DPS. Obviously I’ll be doing a gas safety check yearly. Interesting re letting the tenancy go periodic rather than issuing a new one to avoid having to re issue the information. I guess that means you can’t change the terms of the tenancy? Not that...
                26-10-2020, 08:43 AM
              • Deposit protection question
                by Lots on
                I have a new tenant. As well as Gas safety check, Electricity report, EPC I have protected the deposit, given prescribed info within 2 weeks and given a copy of the How to Rent guide. She has signed for receipt of the last 2, the 1st three were done by agents.
                It’s a one year AST. If she renews...
                25-10-2020, 21:50 PM
              Working...
              X