Deposit Protection Rules?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit Protection Rules?

Hi all ex tenant here, hoping someone can help as I can't find a lot of concrete advice online. Basically, I ended a very stressful tenancy in Aug 2019. There was a lot of back and forth, unclear info, and formal complaints, plus at the end of the tenancy they scalped us with deposit deductions. Just seemed dodgy all round. I recently found out about deposit protection legislation and I am unclear on whether the LA for that property abided by it correctly. Things of note:

1. Tenancy ran from Sept 2018 to Aug 2019. I was not an original tenant, but was novated into the agreement, replacing an original tenant, in July 2019, so I was there for the final two months. There was a lot of confusion about the deposit and I was not provided with any info about the protection scheme, other than the contract said the deposit would be protected by "an official scheme" and I was sent a form from mydeposits to fill out to change the name of the tenant (so I knew it was with my deposits). No leaflet sent to me personally, no info about dispute procedure, just the form to change name.

2. We finally got what was left of our deposit back in Jan 2020, after an internal back and forth. After a ring with mydeposits, they said the protection of the deposit ended 1st October 2019, so 3.5 months before we got the deposit back.

My questions:
    1. Was the LA required to give me all of the Prescribed Info personally once I was novated onto the agreement?
    2. Was the LA required to keep the deposit protected with mydeposits until it was returned in Jan 2020?
    3. I am also just finding out that novation isnt really valid in tenancy agreements, and really a new agreement/tenancy should begin instead. Can I rely on this to say I should have received the Prescribed Info?

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks

Very unusual case.

Comment

It is worth seeking with a no win no fee firm in this scenario. I would offer my opinion to say that the LA were remiss in not providing you with the deposit information. How were you to know the details contained within the Prescribed Info?
      It sounds as if some short cuts were taken by the LA.

Comment

There was a case in Bristol similar where the judge rule that the landlord was right to give the original tenant the pi only and didn't need to for a later tenant but I know there was other info about the case, worth no win no fee tho

Comment

1 - it depends on what the novation paperwork says. But probably not as a default, so the novation would have to detail what was being done about the deposit.

2 - Yes, but it may not be anything to do with you.

3 - Novation is valid, but doesn't really work, as you are finding out. It looks like it's working fine until the end of the tenancy when all the problems manifest themselves. A new tenancy would probably have been the best option for everyone.

You'll not find any no win no fee company will take your case because it's complicated and your chances of getting anything back are slim to zero.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Cannabis Farm discovery
            by boletus
            I strongly advise against taking back possession without a court order when the rent is still being paid.
            26-10-2020, 10:23 AM
          • Cannabis Farm discovery
            by TonyIles
            Got a phone call from letting agent yesterday to say front door had been kicked in, also side window, no sign of tenant, nothing taken,. but substantial amount of cannabis plants found, and mains electricity had been bypassed, police called, now scene of crime, boarded up, awaiting contact with CID,...
            25-10-2020, 11:23 AM
          • Reply to Date problem on section21
            by alecmartin
            So I have to start again? I can’t just wait for a extra three months from the started end date before court proceedings?
            26-10-2020, 10:21 AM
          • Date problem on section21
            by alecmartin
            Hi. I issued a section 21 notice dated 02.09.20. On it I put the date of 02.12.20 as the date after which the tenant should vacate. Do I have to reissue now or can I just extend the date to take account of the six months notice period (I issued one the week before when it was three months but they said...
            26-10-2020, 08:47 AM
            by jpkeates
            Don't believe a council housing officer's advice about your notices to tenants.

All notices will be received later than they're dated, that's how they work.
            But, if you didn't allow time for the post to be delivered (two working days, first class), the notice may have been too sh...
            26-10-2020, 09:32 AM
            by alecmartin
            The housing officer in the council. Said it had been backdated. I can only assume because it was received later than it was dated. ( stupidly I didn’t get proof of postage )...
            26-10-2020, 09:25 AM
          • Reply to Small claims to get deposit back
            by jpkeates
            You can retain a solicitor, but the small claims process is quite simple and much cheaper....
            26-10-2020, 09:20 AM
          • Small claims to get deposit back
            by May79
            I would appreciate any advice regards taking my LL to court for deposit return.
            Deposit is held with DPS, it took a month for LL to supply the deposit ID so I could request the deposit back. Then they didn’t respond to my claim and I was advised by DPS to complete a statutory declaration, between...
            25-10-2020, 23:30 PM
            by jpkeates
            On 2nd September the minimum notice period for a s21 notice was six months, so the notice isn't valid.

Who said "[the previous notice] took too long"?
            26-10-2020, 09:14 AM
          • Reply to Cannabis Farm discovery
            by jpkeates
            My post begins "If there's no sign of anyone living there" and the rest of what I wrote is based on that assumption.
            If someone does appear to be living there, my advice would be completely different.

However, if the front door's been broken down and then secured, the door...
            26-10-2020, 09:08 AM
          Working...
          X