6 month Notice now compulsory ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 month Notice now compulsory ?

Hello, I have a tenant who originally had a year ask contract which expired and they have just been paying monthly... I now need my property back and understand I need to serve a 6 month notice . Is this correct, I thought as they pay monthly I only need to give 1 or 2 months. If the agreement or payment is made on the 1st of each month when do I need to give the notice , for example next rent due 1st October .... and when should the notice say they need to vacate the house. I understand dates in notices are very crucial to get right. Thank you

I would suggest talking to your tenants and trying to come to some mutually acceptable outcome.

The government has changed the notice periods because of the Covid 19 pandemic.
    And, if the tenant doesn't co-operate it can take many months after the notice expires to obtain possession.
    And, yes, the dates are important for a valid s21 notice.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I have spoken to the tenants and they don't seem too be in any hurry and even if they agree a date very likely they will miss it, so I need t have something concrete, hence I m looking for some guidance on if I have to give 6 months and the dates I should use , if anyone can help

Comment

You need to give a minimum of six month's notice allowing two additional business days if using 1st class post.
        I'd give it a couple of extra days minimum.
        That's the only requirement for dates.

If you're at all unsure, you should consider getting professional help - it's very easy to make a mistake with a s21 notice, and waiting more than six months to find that you've got it wrong would be galling.

The beauty of the tenant agreeing to go and then giving notice is that their notice, unlike yours ends the tenancy and doesn't require a court to enforce.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Pre Covid evictions
          by jpkeates
          That has always been the case for orders made during possession hearings.
          No idea why....
          30-10-2020, 09:30 AM
        • Pre Covid evictions
          by nreid
          My tenant stopped paying rent in August of 2019, and in November a notice was served. Beginning of February a possession order was granted and a judgement for money. Then the lockdown, and you can imagine the rest of the story. Now 13 months of unpaid rent. Am going out of my mind here, and nervous...
          17-09-2020, 19:56 PM
        • Reply to Landlord opening ex-tenant's post
          by jpkeates
          Other than the postal rule, could you point me at a source to support this?

This isn't particularly relevant to this thread, it's been something that's fascinated since it was a discussion while I was studying law that was inconclusive.
          That was a while ago, but it's bothered me off...
          30-10-2020, 09:27 AM
        • Landlord opening ex-tenant's post
          by DanielM
          Morning all

Do any of you have any experience or knowledge of what to do in this situation.

The landlord has been opening the ex-tenant's post and found a cheque and saying he isn't going to pass it on to the tenant because the ex-tenant owes rent arrears.

I know...
          28-10-2020, 10:30 AM
        • Reply to Landlord opening ex-tenant's post
          by pebblepebble
          As a matter of interest how long it it acceptable to be expected to return to sender? When I moved here I did it for 6 months then everything that came after that went into the bin. They did have a postal divert (I assume for 6 months as we started to get more post after that time) but some things...
          30-10-2020, 09:17 AM
        • Reply to AST Contract
          by Lawcruncher
          To avoid that being an unfair term I would rephrase that so that the obligation is not to do anything which which would be a breach of the lease. A copy of the lease needs to be given to the tenant so they have time to read it. If the lease has a schedule of "regulations" dealing with matters...
          30-10-2020, 08:42 AM
        • AST Contract
          by Chester Perry
          I have a download of the Model Agreement for an Assured Shorthold Tenancy and Accompanying Guidance however have just tried to use it and its protected.

Is there a free AST contract I can download anywhere?...
          29-10-2020, 15:05 PM
        • Reply to Pre Covid evictions
          by nreid
          Latest news on this is that HCEO would not accept the possession order as it did not have permission. Sending in request in next few days. The area has gone into tier 2 as of this weekend, so it would hardly matter.
          Another wtf moment when speaking to the court: the ccj exists but is not registered...
          29-10-2020, 22:42 PM
        • Reply to Tenant moved in without knowledge
          by Jon66
          . . . and do a landlord course and research your next agent properly. When you ask them probing technical questions and they don't know . . . bye, next . . .
          29-10-2020, 19:29 PM
        • Tenant moved in without knowledge
          by Ra101
          I am new to the renting/letting out field. Apologies for any mistakes.

I hired a managing/letting agent to market my place and do the necessary checks. I opted for a full management service.

I was introduced to the prospective tenants in the office after the agent told...
          28-10-2020, 15:05 PM
        Working...
        X