6 month Notice now compulsory ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 month Notice now compulsory ?

Hello, I have a tenant who originally had a year ask contract which expired and they have just been paying monthly... I now need my property back and understand I need to serve a 6 month notice . Is this correct, I thought as they pay monthly I only need to give 1 or 2 months. If the agreement or payment is made on the 1st of each month when do I need to give the notice , for example next rent due 1st October .... and when should the notice say they need to vacate the house. I understand dates in notices are very crucial to get right. Thank you

I would suggest talking to your tenants and trying to come to some mutually acceptable outcome.

The government has changed the notice periods because of the Covid 19 pandemic.
    And, if the tenant doesn't co-operate it can take many months after the notice expires to obtain possession.
    And, yes, the dates are important for a valid s21 notice.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I have spoken to the tenants and they don't seem too be in any hurry and even if they agree a date very likely they will miss it, so I need t have something concrete, hence I m looking for some guidance on if I have to give 6 months and the dates I should use , if anyone can help

Comment

You need to give a minimum of six month's notice allowing two additional business days if using 1st class post.
        I'd give it a couple of extra days minimum.
        That's the only requirement for dates.

If you're at all unsure, you should consider getting professional help - it's very easy to make a mistake with a s21 notice, and waiting more than six months to find that you've got it wrong would be galling.

The beauty of the tenant agreeing to go and then giving notice is that their notice, unlike yours ends the tenancy and doesn't require a court to enforce.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X