Tenant moves his girlfriend in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant moves his girlfriend in

Hi all, I've searched for similar thread but didn't succeed.
    My Tenant of 14 months, now on a SPT, has moved his girlfriend in. I'm ok with arrangement, it was mentioned by him when he first moved in but they split and nothing happened until now. He has been a good tenant so far & kindly text me with the news
    What are your thoughts please on what I should/need to do ,if anything.

You need to check your insurance and any BTL mortgage terms.
    They may require you to only allow occupants that are subject to a tenancy agreement in some way.

Otherwise, nothing needs to be done.

You may want to do something, because if he moves out and leaves her in place, things could get messy.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I would only give verbal permission for her to occupy at the moment and not seek to alter the tenancy.Its not in your interest to have to start again and not in his either if they split again and he can't get her out.

Comment

If the insurance or BTL require girlfriend to be subject to a tenancy agreement, that would require new tenancy for them both. Who pays costs for such?

Comment

You are allowed to charge actual costs, (up to £50 I think) for a change to the tenancy requested by the tenant.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
            If the insurance or BTL require girlfriend to be subject to a tenancy agreement, that would require new tenancy for them both. Who pays costs for such?
            It depends how you do it.
            If you can add the girlfriend as a permitted occupant, you can do that by side letter.
            If you want to add her to a new tenancy, I'd end the current one, return the deposit etc.
            Sort out any damage charges.

Start a new joint tenancy with a new joint deposit, new check in, all the prescribed documents etc.

You can't charge your tenant for any of that though - only to change the current agreement, but the current agreement is going to need to be completely re-written and it's probably not worth it.

You could also put the rent up as two people is more wear and tear than one.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
              You could also put the rent up as two people is more wear and tear than one.
              That's the only thing we've ever done when partners move in... based on advice on these forums I should add!

Comment

What do the terms of the tenancy say about occupation?

Comment

You can't charge your tenant for any of that though - only to change the current agreement, but the current agreement is going to need to be completely re-written and it's probably not worth it.
                  A payment of up to £50 for the novation of a tenancy is a permitted fee.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
                    A payment of up to £50 for the novation of a tenancy is a permitted fee.
                    I meant that the landlord couldn't charge the tenant for the specific things I was suggesting - I wasn't suggesting novating the agreement - novating a single person tenancy into a joint tenancy agreement is likely to be difficult.

However, I was also wrong - the landlord can charge the lowest of their actual costs or £50 to add the girlfriend as a permitted occupant.

Comment

I meant that the landlord couldn't charge the tenant for the specific things I was suggesting - I wasn't suggesting novating the agreement - novating a single person tenancy into a joint tenancy agreement is likely to be difficult.
                      Actually, it turns out I had misunderstood the specific meaning of novation in relation to a tenancy. I was reading the more general meaning of substituting one contract for another. So yes, I can see that its unlikely to be relevant here. However, given that the only means of including the girlfriend on the tenancy would be to end the existing tenancy at the tenants request and create a new joint tenancy, I would think that TFA2019 Sched 1 clause 7 should apply and the landord can then charge the full costs.

Comment

I agree completely.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X