Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Communal lighting issue

Hi all,

I own and rent out the ground floor flat of a building that has one other flat upstairs.

It has come to light, that the original owner of the upstairs flat had installed a third "landlord's" meter to provide light for the single light in the hallway downstairs. I was not informed of this despite already owning the property when this was set up. Conversely I was never approached by the upstairs owner to pay anything towards this.

She sold up in 2017, closed her Scottish Power account and despite this, since then the bill has been racking up with Scottish Power. This only came to light this month when myself and the new landlord of the upstairs flat were told that bailiffs came knocking on the door and that there were loads of red letters for the previous owner.

There is now an outstanding bill of several hundred pounds that needs to be paid before anyone can do anything, except that Scottish Power won't do anything without the authorization of the previous owner even though she closed the account down in 2017! I feel that I should have been informed about the meter and the account when she opened it in 2014 and am annoyed that I could bear the brunt of this even though I effectively had nothing to do with this.

Does anyone have any thoughts, comments or suggestions or worse, experience of this and what might be a best course of action?

Thank you!

The debt isn't in your name so don't pay it.

Comment

Current LL(s) liable for any usage since account closed,
      OP can sue T for any relevent costs

Comment

I cang see how any part of this bill can be yours. Who has said you should pay?

Comment

Utility contracts are created on a deemed use basis.
          I can't imagine anyone can be liable unless they own the meter - so, I imagine, the first time power was used after the account had closed, the meter owner became liable.

I've never understood how you can "use" a standing charge (if there is one), but the utility company seem to think that simply being in control of a meter makes you liable for the standing charge from day 1.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
            Current LL(s) liable for any usage since account closed,
            OP can sue T for any relevent costs
            By OP, do you mean me?

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
              I cang see how any part of this bill can be yours. Who has said you should pay?
              Well Scottish Power is saying someone has to pay and they suggesting that's the current landlords which is me and the other flat owner. They absolutely won't make any changes like removing it, switching supply off or anything because our names weren't on the original account before it was closed. It just doesn't make sense!

Comment

you aren't liable. For the sake of one bulb just spur off your flat with a maintained bulkhead, more cost effective than a landlords account. A manintained common parts light is one with a rechargeable battery which will come on in a power failure. If however you let your flat to a council or housing association they will demand a landlords account for the staircase lighting

Comment

jpkeates,

Some are suggesting that because myself and the other owner are now the landlord's, we inherit that meter even though when we bought our properties we were never made aware of it or, in my case, consulted before it was installed. I don't understand why they didn't just stop supplying power after 3 months of not being paid!

Comment

Originally posted by Shalanne View Post
                    Some are suggesting that because myself and the other owner are now the landlord's, we inherit that meter even though when we bought our properties we were never made aware of it or, in my case, consulted before it was installed.
                    I don't really understand how that works.
                    Are you and the "other landlord" landlord leaseholders and, together, the freeholder?
                    Why is the "other landlord" not the owner of upstairs and you the owner of downstairs?

Who is responsible for the bill would be determined by the location of the meter.
                    The contract with the supplier is created as soon as power is consumed (although standing charged confuse me on that basis).

So one or both of you are definitely liable.

Your knowledge of the meter isn't an issue.

I don't understand why they didn't just stop supplying power after 3 months of not being paid!
                    There are quite complicated rules about utility companies cutting off power.
                    And, as above, someone is liable for the bill.
                    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Utility companies are not allowed to cut people off in case it causes undue hardship.

When a tenant moves into a property that become liable for the usage on a deemed contract even if they don’t open an account. I would suggest that the occupants are liable for the usage.

From a practical point of view, I would first check the bill to see if the billed amount is correct - there can’t have been much usage from one hall light.

I also thought that a utility company can only bill for 12 months.

I would then open a complaint with Scottish Power and if the issue cant be resolved to your satisfaction, you can go to the Ombudsman for adjudication. I would argue that as both flats are (presumably) paying a standing charge, to pay another one for one bulb is excessive. Offer to pay for the last years usage, ask them to remove the meter and light the area off one of the flats.

good luck

Comment

A 5 watt Led Bulb (more than enough to light a hall) left on 24/7 365 days a year will use 43.8kwh/year at less than £10.

Suggest you spin one off your flat, share the £10 with the other flat, and tell them to get lost. They can remove the meter if they like - it's not yours. And shift your own supplies to a different company.

Comment

It just doesn't make sense!
                          Hello Shalanne

This 3rd party meter for a single light in the hallway downstairs who actually installed it ?

Was it previous LL and a electrician ?

Or was it installed one of the uk utilities suppliers at the request of this former LL ?

On UK utilities meters there is a "Electric meter number" that has to match the same number on a utilities bill, do you know which bill this meter this number matches ?
                          Thunderbirds are go

Comment

Just my opinion.

Scottish Power accounts department hasn't got a clue about anything but direct debits and smart meters and couldn't organise ceilidh in a distillery.

Comment

Well Scottish Power is saying someone has to pay and they suggesting that's the current landlords which is me and the other flat owner. They absolutely won't make any changes like removing it, switching supply off or anything because our names weren't on the original account before it was closed. It just doesn't make sense!
                              What's the problem, if they are not going to make any changes or cut you off. Just leave it in previous tenant's name . Bailiffs or CCJ's can't be entered in your name unless you have the account so not your liabilty.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Date problem on section21
                                by jpkeates
                                Don't believe a council housing officer's advice about your notices to tenants.

All notices will be received later than they're dated, that's how they work.
                                But, if you didn't allow time for the post to be delivered (two working days, first class), the notice may have been too sh...
                                26-10-2020, 09:32 AM
                              • Date problem on section21
                                by alecmartin
                                Hi. I issued a section 21 notice dated 02.09.20. On it I put the date of 02.12.20 as the date after which the tenant should vacate. Do I have to reissue now or can I just extend the date to take account of the six months notice period (I issued one the week before when it was three months but they said...
                                26-10-2020, 08:47 AM
                                by alecmartin
                                The housing officer in the council. Said it had been backdated. I can only assume because it was received later than it was dated. ( stupidly I didn’t get proof of postage )...
                                26-10-2020, 09:25 AM
                              • Reply to Small claims to get deposit back
                                by jpkeates
                                You can retain a solicitor, but the small claims process is quite simple and much cheaper....
                                26-10-2020, 09:20 AM
                              • Small claims to get deposit back
                                by May79
                                I would appreciate any advice regards taking my LL to court for deposit return.
                                Deposit is held with DPS, it took a month for LL to supply the deposit ID so I could request the deposit back. Then they didn’t respond to my claim and I was advised by DPS to complete a statutory declaration, between...
                                25-10-2020, 23:30 PM
                                by jpkeates
                                On 2nd September the minimum notice period for a s21 notice was six months, so the notice isn't valid.

Who said "[the previous notice] took too long"?
                                26-10-2020, 09:14 AM
                              • Reply to Cannabis Farm discovery
                                by jpkeates
                                My post begins "If there's no sign of anyone living there" and the rest of what I wrote is based on that assumption.
                                If someone does appear to be living there, my advice would be completely different.

However, if the front door's been broken down and then secured, the door...
                                26-10-2020, 09:08 AM
                              • Cannabis Farm discovery
                                by TonyIles
                                Got a phone call from letting agent yesterday to say front door had been kicked in, also side window, no sign of tenant, nothing taken,. but substantial amount of cannabis plants found, and mains electricity had been bypassed, police called, now scene of crime, boarded up, awaiting contact with CID,...
                                25-10-2020, 11:23 AM
                              • Reply to Deposit protection question
                                by Lots on
                                Thanks everyone. It’s just custodial with the DPS. Obviously I’ll be doing a gas safety check yearly. Interesting re letting the tenancy go periodic rather than issuing a new one to avoid having to re issue the information. I guess that means you can’t change the terms of the tenancy? Not that...
                                26-10-2020, 08:43 AM
                              • Deposit protection question
                                by Lots on
                                I have a new tenant. As well as Gas safety check, Electricity report, EPC I have protected the deposit, given prescribed info within 2 weeks and given a copy of the How to Rent guide. She has signed for receipt of the last 2, the 1st three were done by agents.
                                It’s a one year AST. If she renews...
                                25-10-2020, 21:50 PM
                              Working...
                              X