Right to see tenant's bank statements, payslip etc...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right to see tenant's bank statements, payslip etc...

I am evaluating a new letting agency. However, they tell me they use RentSure (I think or something similar). In the past the rent used to give landlords guaranteed rent, but they can't offer the guarantee anymore due to Covid-10. Apparently, they use to take their commission up front for the entire duration of the contact, but now that their rent guarantee is n't paying due to Force majeure clause. They are having to give refunds to landlords!

I did ask, if I could get a copy of tenant's bank statements, proof of previous address, employement detail etc... They told me this is not allowed due to data protection.

I will not be able to double check anything. If these tenant referencing agencies were so good, there would n't be any rent arrears ever.

Do your own vetting and get bank statements

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback1966 View Post
      I did ask, if I could get a copy of tenant's bank statements, proof of previous address, employement detail etc... They told me this is not allowed due to data protection.
      This is just incompetence.

First of all, for data collected for you, the agent is a data processor and you are the date controller - you have every right to see it.
      There may be data that the agent collected for themselves, and not for you; I can't really imagine what that might be, but it's possible.

And, to overcome the problem altogether, all the agent has to do is to disclose to the prospective tenant that any data they collect will potentially be shared with the landlord.
      It's a single sentence on an application form.
      And any agent that doesn't do that in 2020 isn't doing their job competently,
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Find a decent agent.

Comment

You should pay ICO min £40 to be a data Controller.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
            And any agent that doesn't do that in 2020 isn't doing their job competently,
            this

drop agent and get another and register with ICO. Draft your own Personal Data Fair Processing Notice and ask new agent to get applicants to sign it.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X