Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance

Hello,

I am having A LOT of trouble with my LL who is continually asking to carry out improvements on the property. It is literally nonstop and it has got to the stage where I am utterly fed up and want to leave.

During my tenancy he has replaced all the windows in the house, carried out major work in the garden, replaced the internal doors (the old ones where fine), installed shutters, renovated the bathroom (again the old one was fine), repainting the kitchen, the list goes on and I have only been in the house for 3 years! At no time has he offered me compensation. The work has been intrusive and having a constant trail of workmen in is driving me nuts.

I know I have a right to quiet enjoyment and I have raised this on numerous occasions but it makes no difference, the Managing Agents and the LL still continue to hassle me. The Managing Agents know I am not happy and I have complained in writing to them at least 5 times, on each occasion they said I have to allow all 'works' and the LL can come into the property with his workmen to start work as long as he has given me 24 hrs notice. Only recently I have discovered that is not correct, I have the right to refuse any improvement work and the 24 hr rule only applies to 'visit' not carry out work. I am so cross that I have been misinformed by the Managing Agents for all this time, surely this is illegal?

This morning, I now discover that the LL wants to repaint the entire exterior and the Managing Agents have said, I have to abide by the Tenancy Agreement to allow 'works'. So my questions are;

1. What is the difference between improvements and repairs? For example, which category does 'painting' come under?
    2. Surely it is illegal for the Managing Agents to give incorrect information?
    3. Overall what are my rights?

Thank you so much for your time.

You can prevent the landlord from entering, as you have a right to quiet enjoyment, you can even replace the locks if you would like.

In turn, the landlord could issue you a section 21 notice, but the notice period is 6 months currently plus the court backlog.

Comment

Why object to exterior redecoration-surely this is quiet and non-invasive?There seems to be most of the work done-now you can sit back and enjoy the improved house.Most people seem to complain because the landlord does too little.

Comment

You have two sets of rights and obligations.
        Those from legislation and what you have agreed to in the tenancy agreement - and they may be difference.

You have the right to exclude anyone from the property while you are a tenant.
        That may put you in breach of the tenancy agreement, which is a contract, but there's not much the landlord could do about that other than serve notice and try and evict you.
        The notice period is six months, and courts are backlogged.

I'm not sure I'd object to painting the outside as strenuously as work being done inside, but I've not had a series of work done over the past few years.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The painting of the exterior should cause little inconvenience if any compared to interior work. Personally I think they should have offered some compensation for inconvenience caused by the bathroom renovation. Painting would come under maintenance, the new bathroom would be an improvement if nothing had been broken prior to works.
          I suspect the landlord may put up the rent to reflect the improvements, or otherwise they could be preparing to sell in the near future. The landlord couldn't put up rent significantly while you are there but they may do if you leave. They will know they need to give you 6 months notice to evict currently. Perhaps the exterior painting is the last of the works now.

Comment

gnvqsos - I am a landlord myself and I would never dream of carrying out all this renovation work whilst my tenant was in situ. If any work was needed I have had it done in between tenancies or I would compensate the tenants if they were still in occupation. I have the right to live in the property without the constant intrusions of workmen coming in and renovation being carried out.

Thank you jpkeates for your response. Yes you are right, painting the exterior is not as inconvenient as painting inside and had it not been for all the other renovations that had been done in the past (which I allowed) I would have agreed but I am just so fed up with this now. Every month there is something new that he wants to do and it is becoming simply ridiculous.

Amy131 - Unfortunately, the exterior painting is just one in a long list of 'jobs' he wants carried out before he moves back into the property.

Comment

Originally posted by thesleepingdog View Post
              Every month there is something new that he wants to do and it is becoming simply ridiculous.
              You have a right to quiet enjoyment and the right to exclude anyone (including the landlord).
              Those right exist even if the tenancy agreement has terms that contradict them - the rights and obligations simply compete and one set can't simply "trump" the other.

I'd simply tell the letting agent that you've had enough and that no further "improving work" will be allowed and you'll be in touch if anything stops working and needs the landlord to fix.
              If the landlord doesn't agree he can get a court order (he won't).

The landlord is likely to serve notice, but, as you'll leave anyway if things carry on as now, that's an empty threat.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by thesleepingdog View Post
                I am a landlord myself and I would never dream of carrying out all this renovation work whilst my tenant was in situ
                Whilst it's good to have a landlord who wants to keep the property nice and well-maintained, all of these things added together do sound quite excessive - especially as none of the improvements seem to have been agreed with the tenant. After all, it's the landlord's property, but it's the tenant's home.

If they are happy to spend such a large amount of money on the property, why not accept a rental void as part of the cost ?

My guess is that their intention from the outset was to renovate the property to sell for a profit, but to increase the return by renting it out during the renovation. Either that or they don't have the full cost of renovation in the bank, so rental income is funding the improvements. I'd be prepared for a Section 21 if I were living here.

Comment

The OP states that the landlord seems to prepare the property for their eventual return.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisDennison View Post
                    The OP states that the landlord seems to prepare the property for their eventual return.
                    Oh yes. Subsequent post - missed that

Comment

You really can't win with some people

Comment

As per post #7, just say no and make sure they understand that you won't be admitting anyone and are prepared to call the Police to remove them if necessary.

Comment

Yes, the LL has made it very clear this is his 'forever home' and is planning to move into it in 2 years time hence all the improvement work.

From now on I am going to refuse access for all non-essential work. I only wish I had done it earlier as it has been pretty tough with young kids and living in a building site most of the time. Thank you so much everyone for your input.

Comment

When the agent/landlord complains about your unreasonable attitude, I'd point out that the landlord's complete lack of consideration in not doing the work at one time has meant continual disruption.

Comment

If it is LL's 'forever home' , he should be prepared to wait to redecorate until you vacate.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X