Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doors unable to close due to carpet

Hi there,

I moved into a new 1-bedroom flat about a month ago and notice that all the doors (except the front door) can’t be closed fully because it get stuck on the carpet. The bathroom door can’t be closed fully as well but it has a lock on it. Wasn’t really bother with this to begin with but just thought that if I have guests over, they won’t be able to use the bathroom because of the lack of privacy. So I was wondering if it is the tenant or landlord responsibility to get this fix?

This is the landlord's responsibility as to rectify it will probably mean shaving a bit off the bottom of the doors. Not something a tenant should be doing. There's carpet in the bathroom?

Comment

It probably contravenes fire regulations.

LL should deal with it asap.

If T takes action, then LL might see it as damage.

Comment

Jon66,

Alright thanks! no carpet in the bathroom. but the bathroom door swings out to the common corridor which is carpeted

Comment

MdeB,

Ok thanks. will contact the agent and see what they says

Comment

left untouched, its only going to continue to scrape carpet and leave an indent so in LL interest to get it sorted

Comment

Is this maybe a case of new carpets being laid and they're just very 'furry' as in thick and heavy and need a while to trample down? I had this in my first rental property, the carpets were very fancy brand new ones when I moved in, they were extremely nice and warm but were so thick that none of the doors of the Georgian era property closed properly. After a few weeks they started closing.

Comment

hmm it could be, the carpets look new but nothing much has changed even after a month

Comment

You should get this addressed as forcing the doors against the carpet will cause wear and you could get a deduction from your deposit due to this. The landlord should fix the issue. When I had carpets fitted the fitter had a tool to take a few mm off the bottom of the doors without taking them off. Its an easy fix with the right tools. Provided the carpet has been properly stretched if there are any raised areas these should settle within few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudely View Post
                    hmm it could be, the carpets look new but nothing much has changed even after a month
                    I don’t remember exactly how long it did take in my case but it might be worth asking the landlord whether they just replaced the carpets and they are aware this has happened...?

Comment

Originally posted by amy131 View Post
                      You should get this addressed as forcing the doors against the carpet will cause wear and you could get a deduction from your deposit due to this.
                      The LL might try, but wear and tear is not a valid deduction.

I do not believe it could be classed as damage in a deposit dispute (provided T has informed LL|) because it is not reasonable to expect a tenant not to close and open doors. The LL has created a situation where the wear is inevitable through normal use of the property.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X