Toilet valve replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toilet valve replacement

Good Evening, I am writing for an advice. It has been a couple of days that me and my partner were hearing a noise of running water in the toilet. Initially we thought it was just a normal "pipe" noise but yesterday I found out that the noise was from our toilet tank. There was a trickle inside the toilet that forced the tank constantly refill with water. This morning we informed our landlady and we asked if she knew a trustworthy plumber. Her answer was "contact a plumber" and so we did. The "cheapest" plumber we found asked for 110£ for the call and the investigation. His response was that the flush valve was faulty and he already had the replacement in the van so we could fix it. We agreed, he fixed, resealed and tested everything and I payed. Later on I informed my landlady and I sent her the job description of what has been done and how much it costs but she did not mention anything about refounding or even splitting the amount. This is the first time I had to deal with ths situation, who you think should be responsible for the payment? Thank you for the hepl

Some would say that fixing leaking tap valves or toilet valves is the responsibility of the tenant. A bit like light bulbs. I am not 100% sure I would want a tenant fiddling with cistern internals, but it depends.

Have you asked again what you should do. It is a semi-grey area. Toilet valves last for a limited time/number of flushes, and in the old days most people would have been able to fix themselves and would not have required a £110 callout..

Comment

Good Evening, we explained her the problem and she told us to call a plumber. I am not an expert of toilet valves and I would not start to play inside the cistern without any knowledge. After the investigation the plumber explained us that the flush was not closing correctly and it was an old model so he changed whole piece including the flush button. In the end the expense was more than 110£

Comment

Originally posted by Ale92 View Post
        Good Evening, we explained her the problem and she told us to call a plumber. I am not an expert of toilet valves and I would not start to play inside the cistern without any knowledge. After the investigation the plumber explained us that the flush was not closing correctly and it was an old model so he changed whole piece including the flush button. In the end the expense was more than 110£
        If I were your landlord I would pay for it (under most circumstances but not perhaps under others - for example if you have rent arrears or were otherwise problematical). As I said there is an argument to be made that it is T responsibility, but I'd only invoke that in exceptional circumstances.

I wouldn't be happy to have a random plumber either.

How long have you been in the place?

Comment

We have been in the place since 2018 and this is the first time that I need someone external for a repair. Usually for small issue like light bulbs I always fix it by myself without disturbing her or, for example, I broke the sofa, it was my fault because I am heavy I bought a new one without making problems. We are always punctual with the rent payment. If I was a landlord I would be the same, I would prefer someone that I know to fix stuff but when we asked her if she knew a plumber or if she had any preference she did not suggest anyone. She only answered "contact a plumber"

Comment

Do you think I should contact her again tomorrow and try to make a deal?

Comment

I'd offer to subtract the whole amount from your next rent payment.

Comment

Do you think I can suggest that to her tomorrow? Am I not really sure of what to say to her or how I could convince her. Moreover, I do not want to spoil our rental business

Comment

Toilet valves do not routinely need changing. In modern toilets the cistern inevitably requires decouping from the pan and then refitting and is well beyond the DIY capabilities of a tenant, indeed it could cause a major flood if done incorrectly.

This in my view was clearly the landlords responsibility, but safe in the knowledge the cost would not be huge they have shirked responsibility in the hope you would pick up the bill.

Assuming you have received an invioice/receipt from the plumber, I would contact the landlord again indicating that changing such a valve is the landlords responsibility, and indicating if no payment forthcoming you will deduct from rent.

Comment

Originally posted by andybenw View Post
                    Toilet valves do not routinely need changing. In modern toilets the cistern inevitably requires decouping from the pan and then refitting and is well beyond the DIY capabilities of a tenant, indeed it could cause a major flood if done incorrectly.
                    I agree with you generally but the above really isn't true. I have loads of toilets with very modern Siamp or similar type valves and a) the valves DO routinely get replaced - maybe ever year or two depending how often they are used b) Changing the valve is far easier than changing a tap valve, and certainly does not require removal of the flush mechanism (or removal of anything)

Comment

Yes I have the invoice and the job description form where they say they removed the faulty valve, supplied and installed a new one. I am not an expert of plumbing so if the plumbers suggest to change the whole flush mechanism because it was old and it would create problems I trust him a bit. It is two years that I am in the place and she never suggested that valves needed to be change and thinking of her answer "how it can be old, it is only four years" I do not think they have ever been changed.

Comment

AndrewDod Have to agree, I have had to replace valves in my own property as well as a rental.

Comment

Section 11 LTA 1985 requires a landlord "to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for the supply of water, gas and electricity and for sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences, but not other fixtures, fittings and appliances for making use of the supply of water, gas or electricity)". I need convincing that that does not include replacing a faulty flush valve in a lavatory cistern..

A bit of a snag is that Ale92 went ahead without the landlord's agreement.

Comment

It sounds to me that the landlord saying 'contact a plumber' means they were presuming that you the tenant was paying for the repair.
                            Seems like a communication mix up. Half each and move on?

Comment

It's the landlord's responsibility.
                              The responsibility is not just to "keep in repair" but to "keep...in proper working order" which means that if something needs routine maintenance because things wear out or need replacing from time to time, the landlord has to do that - they can't just wait until something goes wrong and repair it.

I'd tell the landlord that you will subtract the amount from the next rent payment.
                              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Small claims to get deposit back
                                by jpkeates
                                You can retain a solicitor, but the small claims process is quite simple and much cheaper....
                                26-10-2020, 09:20 AM
                              • Small claims to get deposit back
                                by May79
                                I would appreciate any advice regards taking my LL to court for deposit return.
                                Deposit is held with DPS, it took a month for LL to supply the deposit ID so I could request the deposit back. Then they didn’t respond to my claim and I was advised by DPS to complete a statutory declaration, between...
                                25-10-2020, 23:30 PM
                              • Reply to Date problem on section21
                                by jpkeates
                                On 2nd September the minimum notice period for a s21 notice was six months, so the notice isn't valid.

Who said "[the previous notice] took too long"?
                                26-10-2020, 09:14 AM
                              • Date problem on section21
                                by alecmartin
                                Hi. I issued a section 21 notice dated 02.09.20. On it I put the date of 02.12.20 as the date after which the tenant should vacate. Do I have to reissue now or can I just extend the date to take account of the six months notice period (I issued one the week before when it was three months but they said...
                                26-10-2020, 08:47 AM
                              • Reply to Cannabis Farm discovery
                                by jpkeates
                                My post begins "If there's no sign of anyone living there" and the rest of what I wrote is based on that assumption.
                                If someone does appear to be living there, my advice would be completely different.

However, if the front door's been broken down and then secured, the door...
                                26-10-2020, 09:08 AM
                              • Cannabis Farm discovery
                                by TonyIles
                                Got a phone call from letting agent yesterday to say front door had been kicked in, also side window, no sign of tenant, nothing taken,. but substantial amount of cannabis plants found, and mains electricity had been bypassed, police called, now scene of crime, boarded up, awaiting contact with CID,...
                                25-10-2020, 11:23 AM
                              • Reply to Deposit protection question
                                by Lots on
                                Thanks everyone. It’s just custodial with the DPS. Obviously I’ll be doing a gas safety check yearly. Interesting re letting the tenancy go periodic rather than issuing a new one to avoid having to re issue the information. I guess that means you can’t change the terms of the tenancy? Not that...
                                26-10-2020, 08:43 AM
                              • Deposit protection question
                                by Lots on
                                I have a new tenant. As well as Gas safety check, Electricity report, EPC I have protected the deposit, given prescribed info within 2 weeks and given a copy of the How to Rent guide. She has signed for receipt of the last 2, the 1st three were done by agents.
                                It’s a one year AST. If she renews...
                                25-10-2020, 21:50 PM
                              • Reply to Combo boiler fitted
                                by sigard
                                Thanks for the responses everyone. It seems there was a wireless programmer, I have replaced it, but this one is screwed to the wall.
                                26-10-2020, 07:50 AM
                              • Combo boiler fitted
                                by sigard
                                The property has a combi boiler, he has asked if I could fit a timer for the heating to come on during the day for his dog, while his at work. The boiler obviously has a gas safe, is it down to me to fit a timer or should he pay for one?
                                23-10-2020, 10:58 AM
                              Working...
                              X