Tenant vacation timeline - how much notice is now required due to coronavirus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ghk2010 View Post
    Is there anything preventing rent increases at the moment? Perhaps this might force the tenants hand....
    There is a formal process to go through and any increase can be referred to a tribunal to ensure its fair.

And if the tenant doesn't pay the increased rent (assuming it's a reasonable increase), it will take months for the arrears to build up to the point that it will help you repossess the property.

A tenant has a whole shedload of rights to make sure that a landlord can't simply chuck them out of their home in the short term because they've suddenly become inconvenient,

If your tenant isn't co-operative, you are facing months and months of delay.
    You need to be talking to your tenant and, probably, incentivising them to help you.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If I were the potential buyer and discovered you hadn't given notice to the tenants I would be pulling out now. I completed on a house purchase in 5 weeks. I think if you have a chance of this sale going through the tenant would need to have moved out within 2 months.
      When I was in a situation where the landlord was selling the house I was in I started looking for a new place immediately, as did the other residents and we were out within 3 months. Given your tenants are still there a year after you informed them of your decision to sell it suggests you may have a difficult and expensive time ahead. Attempting to put the rent up would only make matters worse and the tenants might even agree to an reasonable increase.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X