Tenant needing zero deposit and guarantor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant needing zero deposit and guarantor

The fact that someone does not bother either to save up for a deposit or borrow it from the guarantor seems a negative point or have they been guided into the scheme by a greedy agent?
    Perhaps they have good intentions of course, do like the property and will look after it?
    They do need a guarantor as they are short of income to afford the rent but according to info read on this site and elsewhere a guarantor is not much use after the fixed term.
    The tenant is youngish but reliable job

I think you are spot on.

Comment

If someone can't afford a deposit, they can't afford the rent.
      There's a big difference between someone moving from another rental property where they have a deposit "stuck" and someone who just doesn't have it..
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by Celibin View Post
        They do need a guarantor as they are short of income to afford the rent
        Why are you even considering them if they can't afford the rent from their own wages?

Comment

Put the guarantor on the tenancy as a joint tenant, if they satisfy the requirements of being a guarantor.

Comment

I had a 19 year old tenant a bit like this who was renting for the first time. When the deposit and first months rent came through it was from the guarantor's (parents) account and although the rent payments after were from the tenants account, which I understood the guarantor paid some funds into, I was chasing almost every month for payment. I was relieved when they moved on after 9 months. I wouldn't consider someone in that situation again. I've not been asked for a reference, was informed they were moving in with friends.
            Is your prospective tenant currently renting? If they have a history of being able to pay rent it may provide some reassurance.

Comment

The way you say "does not bother" is kinda insulting you don't know someones personal circumstances, people on low income may live paycheque to paycheque and struggle to afford to pay bills but have no issues. I sadly was on benefits for years due to MH issues and could not afford to save so had a drug dealer neighbour and to make matters worse got credit in my name and stole a giro sent to me.

In the shared places I have had, its been the people with the income that waste it

That and being from a poor family I had no one that could be a guarantor so was stuck renting from the dodgy landlords so a vicious cycle.

I was happy to get benefit paid to landlord, managed to scrape enough for 1 months rent in advance sometimes even deposit as well but as I didn't have a guarantor was a nightmare, and renting from bad landlords meant I couldn't get a good reference.

And often getting a deposit back was a nightmare, it would take months and landlord would take off money for things they shouldn't have, sure its changed now but issues I had in past.

Comment

I think you make a strong case dekaspace and I do agree that we need a better means of providing security to landlords. You were clearly a decent but impoverished tenant caught in a housing system that has failed those in poverty. I would say, however, that private sector landlords can never be the answer to this problem as they need a level of certainty that unfortunately a person in your circumstance would be unable to provide. A tenant that stops paying their rent for several months can result in the landlord losing their property and possibly main source of income.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X