CCJ and landlord reference

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    CCJ and landlord reference

    I always do a Money Claim Online for any outstanding arrears and yesterday I got a request for a landlord reference for a tenant who obtained a ccj from me. I responded with a negative reference and said I was surprised that T had given me as a ref. The agent said T hadn't.

    I can't name the agency here, but I'd like to say that sometimes agencies are somewhat maligned but this one is doing a good job.

    And, secondly, I'd like to say that pursuing a T for arrears via MCOL and getting a ccj does affect their ability to obtain another rental property.

    This will stay with the T for at least 6 years, longer if I can get it reinforced.

    If any tenants are reading this, it's best to come to some arrangement to pay off your arrears before you get a ccj.

    #2
    My tenant would not leave until I give him a good reference.

    Comment


      #3
      . . . so you lied

      Comment


        #4
        You can be taken to court if you lie by the next landlord.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Perce View Post
          My tenant would not leave until I give him a good reference.
          Not leave?? The court bailiffs would force him out for you. Doesn't matter how long it takes or what it costs.

          Well done Berlingogirl! Quite right too!!!
          I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
            I always do a Money Claim Online for any outstanding arrears and yesterday I got a request for a landlord reference for a tenant who obtained a ccj from me. I responded with a negative reference and said I was surprised that T had given me as a ref. The agent said T hadn't.

            I can't name the agency here, but I'd like to say that sometimes agencies are somewhat maligned but this one is doing a good job.
            Great to hear this, but I wonder how they found out your contact details? The Register of Judgments includes the claimant's name but I thought not their address?

            Comment


              #7
              When you do MCOL do you need to give a date of birth of your tenant or just giving his address is enough ?

              Comment


                #8
                ChrisDennison,

                I don't know how they got my contact details unless they knew his old address (my property) and did a land reg search and found my name. That seems a lot of work. There are only two people in England with my name so I'm not hard to find and emailing me is dead easy! I've not looked at the RoJ.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Perce View Post
                  When you do MCOL do you need to give a date of birth of your tenant or just giving his address is enough ?
                  I can't remember! And I've done loads. I always have their date of birth anyway from their ID and write it on the tenancy agreement. If you go into the MCOL and do a practice run using a made up name you can go through the process of the form filling, then delete it all at.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    You don't need to give the debtor's DOB for the court claim itself but when you request a CCJ it asks you for the DOB and you should include it as it ensures the Register of Judgments can match your debtor if there are multiple with the same name.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post

                      I don't know how they got my contact details unless they knew his old address (my property) and did a land reg search and found my name. That seems a lot of work. There are only two people in England with my name so I'm not hard to find and emailing me is dead easy! I've not looked at the RoJ.
                      Interesting. Maybe they can access the court's database for the claimant's address... Or maybe the RoJ does have claimant's addresses after all. Need to check.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
                        ChrisDennison,

                        I don't know how they got my contact details unless they knew his old address (my property) and did a land reg search and found my name. That seems a lot of work. There are only two people in England with my name so I'm not hard to find and emailing me is dead easy! I've not looked at the RoJ.
                        It takes 2 minutes and £3. Just did 24 and it took less than an hour.

                        Comment

                        Latest Activity

                        Collapse

                        Working...
                        X