New tenants- what are the most important things to explain about the home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MdeB View Post
    It that a deductible expense for tax?
    Yes - but it's only about £30.
    Originally posted by JK0 View Post
    Hmm. Frankly, if I was one of JPK's tenants receiving a picnic basket, I would rather he spent the money on charging me less rent.
    It's only about £30.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by Lots on View Post
      Such cynicism JK0 🙁!
      Oh, it's not.
      I've left a manual for the house with each tenant that has rented.
      included instructions for boiler, smoke alarms, and cooker. Never seen again.

Comment

just print it out again. No big deal.

Even if you were silly enough to include the original manuals, you'll find them all online.

Comment

Originally posted by tatemono View Post
          Even if you were silly enough to include the original manuals, you'll find them all online.
          Yes.
          I have taken to downloading manuals whenever I buy something, be it for home or lettings.

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
            I remember one student moving in (first time away from mummy) and asking on what days the cleaner came.
            I despair sometimes....
            As least this shows they knew cleaning was necessary - I have had tenants who have clearly never cleaned anything during the whole tenancy!

Comment

I supply an article (scientific) on how condensation forms and remains in properties until released

Comment

hmmm... but is it peer-reviewed?

Comment

I'm afraid I have to agree that they won't read anything long, so keep it short and they will forget they have it the day after they move in and will call you up about a question youve covered in some detail in the "manual". However, if part of the object is to cover yourself in case you need to sue then I guess it will do that.

I would also add a clause about the difference between bleach and limescale remover and the appropriate use of each.

Comment

Thank you DPT57 that is a good point.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Date problem on section21
                      by jpkeates
                      Don't believe a council housing officer's advice about your notices to tenants.

All notices will be received later than they're dated, that's how they work.
                      But, if you didn't allow time for the post to be delivered (two working days, first class), the notice may have been too sh...
                      26-10-2020, 09:32 AM
                    • Date problem on section21
                      by alecmartin
                      Hi. I issued a section 21 notice dated 02.09.20. On it I put the date of 02.12.20 as the date after which the tenant should vacate. Do I have to reissue now or can I just extend the date to take account of the six months notice period (I issued one the week before when it was three months but they said...
                      26-10-2020, 08:47 AM
                      by alecmartin
                      The housing officer in the council. Said it had been backdated. I can only assume because it was received later than it was dated. ( stupidly I didn’t get proof of postage )...
                      26-10-2020, 09:25 AM
                    • Reply to Small claims to get deposit back
                      by jpkeates
                      You can retain a solicitor, but the small claims process is quite simple and much cheaper....
                      26-10-2020, 09:20 AM
                    • Small claims to get deposit back
                      by May79
                      I would appreciate any advice regards taking my LL to court for deposit return.
                      Deposit is held with DPS, it took a month for LL to supply the deposit ID so I could request the deposit back. Then they didn’t respond to my claim and I was advised by DPS to complete a statutory declaration, between...
                      25-10-2020, 23:30 PM
                      by jpkeates
                      On 2nd September the minimum notice period for a s21 notice was six months, so the notice isn't valid.

Who said "[the previous notice] took too long"?
                      26-10-2020, 09:14 AM
                    • Reply to Cannabis Farm discovery
                      by jpkeates
                      My post begins "If there's no sign of anyone living there" and the rest of what I wrote is based on that assumption.
                      If someone does appear to be living there, my advice would be completely different.

However, if the front door's been broken down and then secured, the door...
                      26-10-2020, 09:08 AM
                    • Cannabis Farm discovery
                      by TonyIles
                      Got a phone call from letting agent yesterday to say front door had been kicked in, also side window, no sign of tenant, nothing taken,. but substantial amount of cannabis plants found, and mains electricity had been bypassed, police called, now scene of crime, boarded up, awaiting contact with CID,...
                      25-10-2020, 11:23 AM
                    • Reply to Deposit protection question
                      by Lots on
                      Thanks everyone. It’s just custodial with the DPS. Obviously I’ll be doing a gas safety check yearly. Interesting re letting the tenancy go periodic rather than issuing a new one to avoid having to re issue the information. I guess that means you can’t change the terms of the tenancy? Not that...
                      26-10-2020, 08:43 AM
                    • Deposit protection question
                      by Lots on
                      I have a new tenant. As well as Gas safety check, Electricity report, EPC I have protected the deposit, given prescribed info within 2 weeks and given a copy of the How to Rent guide. She has signed for receipt of the last 2, the 1st three were done by agents.
                      It’s a one year AST. If she renews...
                      25-10-2020, 21:50 PM
                    Working...
                    X