New tenants- what are the most important things to explain about the home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are lots of great suggestions here and these are all things adults should be able to do without being told. I feel a cloud of despair forming above my head because so many people just don't know how to look after a house.

I've just been to see a tenant of mine who has been in the house for 7 years and on the ceiling in the kitchen is a sort of orangey-yellow drippy stuff that looks like cooking fat. It's on the walls too. And the blinds. It made me think of spontaneous human combustion. My house isn't like that and it started to get like that I'd be up the ladders cleaning it with cilit bang.

Comment

I provide user/care instructions for everything I supply and list them in the inventory if I want them back, plus of course the gas safety certificate (and in future the EICR).
      The following is for one of my properties:
      • Landlord's Gas Safety Record
      • Boiler User Instructions (6 720 806 946 (2015/03)
      • MT10 RF Thermostat operating instructions (80.10.1216.7 /09/01)
      • SCHOTT CERAN care instructions (ceramic hob)
      • Hob Operating Instructions (Hotpoint CRM 641 DX) (07/2014-195126556.00)
      • Bath screen care instructions
      • Ei Electronics smoke alarm user instructions
      • New World oven Users Guide (083331702 03/12/14)
      • Kidde carbon monoxide Alarm User Guide (2535-7201-03 Rev E)
      • E.ON Smart meter display User Guide(CG/11/17)
      I also provide information about services, etc, but do not require tenant to sign for it.
      Example from one of my properties:
      As tenant, you are responsible for all outgoings from the start of the tenancy, and should contact the appropriate agencies to transfer the accounts into your name:
      Council Tax: South Somerset District Council (01935 462462)
      Gas: e.on (0345 052 0000)
      Electricity: e.on (0345 052 0000)
      Water Wessex Water (0345 600 3 600)
      Telephone BT (0800 100 400)

You may at any time change the provider of a service, provided that you notify the landlord of such a change.

You are responsible for providing insurance cover for your possessions.

You are responsible for providing a Television Licence if you receive broadcast programmes.

Rubbish collections are alternate WEDNESDAY mornings (subject to change for bank holidays)); your first collection will be <date>

Recycling collections are every WEDNESDAY morning (subject to change for bank holidays)

Information on local services is available from the South Somerset District Council web site at http://www.southsomerset.gov.uk.

Additional Information

Water Stop-cock is under sink.

Drain for washing machine connects under the sink.

Gas meter is outside the front of the property at ground level.

Electricity meter is outside the front of the property at ground level.

Water meter is on verge at front of the property.

Remember to redirect mail from your previous address (Post Office).

Remember to register to vote at elections.

You should open mail addressed to "the occupier".

You must forward to the landlord all mail addressed to "the owner" or "the landlord".

Please forward any mail addressed to "<previous tenant name>" to:
      <address>

Mail addressed to anyone else should have the address crossed out and the following written on the front: "RTS not known at this address", and placed in a Royal Mail post box.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
        There are lots of great suggestions here and these are all things adults should be able to do without being told. I feel a cloud of despair forming above my head because so many people just don't know how to look after a house.

I've just been to see a tenant of mine who has been in the house for 7 years and on the ceiling in the kitchen is a sort of orangey-yellow drippy stuff that looks like cooking fat. It's on the walls too. And the blinds. It made me think of spontaneous human combustion. My house isn't like that and it started to get like that I'd be up the ladders cleaning it with cilit bang.
        If there is a cooker hood it might need the grease filter replacing.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
          You only learn to do things if you fail to do them and dislike the consequences, or if you are taught.

It is far easier to be given instruction based on others' experience than to learn from your own experience. That is why we send children to school.

There are things that are obvious to me that others may not have considered, and there are probably things obvious to others that I have not considered.

for example, I can tolerate more fluff, etc, on carpets than my wife, so she will get the vacuum cleaner out before it appears to be necessary to me.

Comment

I remember one student moving in (first time away from mummy) and asking on what days the cleaner came.
            I despair sometimes....

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
              I remember one student moving in (first time away from mummy) and asking on what days the cleaner came.
              Is s/he now a cabinet minister?

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
                By all means. It will never be read though.
                Unfortunately true in most cases. However, if you prepare a guide you only need to do it once, apart from updating. You also have something you can refer to if the tenant says: "You never told me that". Any guide should be backed up by a guided tour showing where things are and how to operate them. It is often the case that those with an aversion to reading have good memories.

Comment

Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post
                  How to pay the rent.
                  😂.
                  I wasn’t actually expecting all these really helpful suggestions. There are too many to thank you individually. I’m just off to the property now, it’s the 1st time I’ve rented out something I have renovated from scratch, it’s unbelievable how much there is to do! I am currently obsessed with curtain poles and curtains. Then there’s just the garden to tidy up ( I have just discovered the electrician's cache of 5 bags of rubbish hidden under a tree) and I hope I’m on the home straight.
                  I will be putting together a house manual this weekend. I was inspired by one which was in the holiday cottage we stayed in this summer, I felt it showed the owner cared about the property and had thought about various contingencies.

Comment

Just come back to say thanks to MdeB for the exhaustive contents list which I’ll be using as a framework for my manual.

Comment

I usually get slaughtered for this, but anyway...

I let slightly nicer than average properties that appeal to families.
                      The properties aren't particularly complicated to operate (with the sole exception of some with storage heaters) and the details we leave are quite light.

What we do do, is give a (fairly inexpensive) picnic hamper with a bottle of prosecco and some snacks and a "welcome to your new home" card to every new tenant, which is there when they move in.
                      It's both a nice gesture and a fairly cynical attempt to get the tenant to think of us as decent people, not "bastard landlords".

Obviously, it's hard to tell if it works or not.
                      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post

Any guide should be backed up by a guided tour showing where things are and how to operate them.
                        I do that and then get them to sign to say they have been shown and that things are working (particularly alarms).

Comment

My tenant has taken down the smoke alarm... Must have needed a new battery.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                            What we do do, is give a (fairly inexpensive) picnic hamper with a bottle of prosecco and some snacks and a "welcome to your new home" card to every new tenant,
                            It that a deductible expense for tax?

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post

It that a deductible expense for tax?
                              Hmm. Frankly, if I was one of JPK's tenants receiving a picnic basket, I would rather he spent the money on charging me less rent.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
                                My tenant has taken down the smoke alarm... Must have needed a new battery.
                                I try to get tenants that have rechargeable batteries. Keeps my costs down.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X