Letting to American student

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting to American student

My 2nd BtL property is nearing completion following renovation and would be looking to market it next month. I have recently been asked by a close friend who works at the local University whether I would consider letting to a mature Masters student from the US who is due to come for a year's study starting next month. They are struggling to find anybody who will accept their cat & dog (yep, bit of a strange one to come for a year and have pets in quarantine for a long period, but each to their own!). I have no objection in principle to the pets. Just a quick question really, since I've no experience of letting to anybody from overseas, of anything I need to be aware of? The only thing that springs to mind if to double-check the insurance in relation to FT students, but that aside, are they any other considerations? I'm in Wales so Right to Rent checks are categorically not a consideration - it's unlawful here. I let my previous place via OpenRent so had their contract and referencing package. I'm unsure how referencing would work in this instance.
    Any advice, tips, warnings gratefully received.

Get University to sign a D of G for ther mature Masters student

Comment

This company does international credit checks and advertises on landlordzone;

https://www.tenantverify.co.uk/inter...it-checks.html

You could also contact a letting agent in their home town and pay them to credit reference for you.
      You could phone up and chat to a professor type character reference at their previous uni plus landlord, parents etc.

I've done this without problem in the past and quite enjoyed the whole thing/challenge/job satisfaction.

A warning flag for me though would be the cat and dog in quarantine for 4 months when they only intend staying a year. It's not a good sign of someone who is responsible and organised (sorry).

Comment

"A warning flag for me though would be the cat and dog in quarantine for 4 months when they only intend staying a year. It's not a good sign of someone who is responsible and organised (sorry)."

We (Americans) brought our 3 cats into the UK in 2018 and one does not have to quarantine their pets when those pets are being transported between the US and the UK. But, to be able to take advantage of that rule, is a long, involved, and very expensive process. I'm not sure how going through that process, for animals which are under your care, shows a lack of organization or responsibility instead of showing the reverse. Even if there were a quarantine involved. And we would have definitely done the same even if we were only staying for a year.

As for vetting someone from another country, I don't know. We're in England on a work visa and used a relocation company from my husband's new job when finding a place. I think proof of employment sufficed, which obviously doesn't help with students.

Comment

Ask for year's rent in advance?

Comment

Originally posted by Townes27 View Post
            Even if there were a quarantine involved.
            There is. I've been through it.

Please read the OP again before having your holier than thou rant at me;

Originally posted by LucyChilds View Post
            Masters student from the US who is due to come for a year's study starting next month. They are struggling to find anybody who will accept their cat & dog (yep, bit of a strange one to come for a year and have pets in quarantine for a long period

Comment

Thank you all, great advice

Comment

Originally posted by Townes27 View Post
                We (Americans) brought our 3 cats into the UK in 2018 and one does not have to quarantine their pets when those pets are being transported between the US and the UK. But, to be able to take advantage of that rule, is a long, involved, and very expensive process.
                That's great experience to share.
                Thanks.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Just reread my post.
                  No sarcasm intended!
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I've just had a quick look and my understanding is that providing the pet has been prepared properly and all documents in order, there is no quarantine period for pets from the USA as it is one of the listed countries.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon66 View Post
                      I've just had a quick look and my understanding is...
                      Well that's all sorted out then.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post

There is. I've been through it.

Please read the OP again before having your holier than thou rant at me;

If the student is bringing 2 pets from the United States into the UK there is no quarantine. The OP is incorrect.

Comment

https://www.gov.uk/bring-pet-to-uk

Comment

lol, wish I hadn't mentioned the pets now! It was only to explain why the student was having difficulty sourcing a property, the assumption about the quarantine was mine and quite possibly incorrect, but I was really hoping just for pointers about any other (none animal related!) things to be aware of when letting to an international student.

Comment

Never mention anything that is unrelated to your question. People here love to go off on a tangent and end up discussing a totally different question

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Sink blocked for almost 3 weeks
                                by ash5050
                                "In the past I've been really impressed about how quickly issues have been sorted, but this appears to be taking longer. If I can do anything to help this get resolved quicker please let me know, but I'd appreciate if this could be sorted ASAP as it's affecting me quite a lot. I wouldn't want...
                                13-04-2021, 18:30 PM
                              • Sink blocked for almost 3 weeks
                                by sushi
                                My kitchen sink has been blocked for almost 3 weeks.

The landlord/agent has been dragging his feet getting a plumber out and when someone did come, they confirmed my suspicions that it's something more just needing to pour some unblocker down (this is why I haven't called someone out myself...
                                13-04-2021, 18:06 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant referencing affordability
                                by Hudson01
                                Have you asked more about the CCJ ? Was it for rent ....... is it just one ....... i tend to not trust guarantors, i do not take them and only let to those who can stand on their own two feet in terms of affordability..... it is a choice though.
                                13-04-2021, 18:23 PM
                              • Tenant referencing affordability
                                by Kate foster
                                Hi all,
                                I have found a tenant through open rent and he failed referencing due to CCJ. He got a garauntor who earns 46,271 pounds per annum and the rent is 1095. The rent guard referencing did through open rent has declined the garauntor as unsuitable due to less income. They want 4 times the monthly...
                                13-04-2021, 17:02 PM
                              • Possession order question
                                by Borgie
                                Got a telephone hearing early next month to get possssion order. Can anyone talk me through what is likely to happen at this please. Plus will it definitely proceed to a physical hearing ( have a date for this if it happens) or could the possession order be granted at the telephone hearing?
                                13-04-2021, 18:18 PM
                              • Reply to Flight risk renting to foreign nationals
                                by AndrewDod
                                I think you need to get to know your market. In one area I have been letting to Chinese nationals for 25 years. Never had a single problem.

Discriminating against particular groups of people is bad. Discriminating based on what your nose is telling you for your particular area and based...
                                13-04-2021, 17:59 PM
                              • Flight risk renting to foreign nationals
                                by CHARLIEMAN
                                Hi

I was wondering what the general consensus was for renting to foreign nationals.

I have a one bedroom flat which is nearly always rented out to either UK resident/ domicile students or young professionals and as such generally we use guarantor agreements for their parents...
                                13-04-2021, 15:56 PM
                              • Reply to Question about rented house extension
                                by Hudson01
                                When you say ' extend ' i take it you mean knocking through the gable end of the property and then adding extra sq footage ?? Not a separate dwelling, kind of stuck on the current exterior wall of the current house ....... if the former then i cannot see how the current tenants can stay, the building...
                                13-04-2021, 17:56 PM
                              • Question about rented house extension
                                by ss1981
                                Hi all, I have a rented house - three bed end terrace, which has been rented to the same lady and her children for over a decade, with no major problems on either end.

There is a plot of land next to the house that I am currently in the process of purchasing off the council. I would like...
                                13-04-2021, 17:30 PM
                              • Reply to Flight risk renting to foreign nationals
                                by Hudson01
                                It is sensible to consider it, i would not opt for a tenant from abroad due to this reason, yes a uk national could not pay but they will be somewhere in the uk (probably), and even though there is little chance of getting any arrears back from them, a foreign national....... zero chance.
                                13-04-2021, 17:51 PM
                              Working...
                              X