New tenant does not want to be referenced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having had a Debt Relief Order will have a much greater impact on someone's credit history than any credit search.
    Credit searches are impacted by a flurry of searches, not one soft search.

There is something seriously wrong with this situation.
    Someone is claiming to be able to afford a "high value" property but has a DRO and is worried about the effect on their credit rating of one additional search?

I can't believe you're even contemplating letting to them.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The benefit of giving someone a second chance is they will be restricted in their options so could become a long term valued tenant.

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
        The benefit of giving someone a second chance is they will be restricted in their options so could become a long term valued tenant.
        I once had an employee who stole from me - I decided that if she paid me back I would give her a second chance. Turned out to be one of the best staff members I had.

However, if she messed up again, it was easy to get rid of her.

The same cannot be said of Tenants, so I personally would not take the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
          I basically agree.

But this person isn't asking for a second chance, they're asking that they are allowed to potentially hide things from a landlord that would affect their decision to proceed or not.
          They've said they have a DRO - what do they not want the landlord to see?
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I have gone back to the agent to say we won't accept a tenant who has not been referenced and also asking for more information. I assume the other 3 tenants would be paying most of the rent.

Comment

I think you need to be a bit bolder and say you wont accept this tenant at all. Being referenced would only tell you what you already know, that this is someone who got into debt and refused to pay it.

Comment

Originally posted by KTC View Post

Landlord referencing are soft searches and doesn't affect credit score...........
                But that doesn't mean the tenants know that. If her credit score is already shot to pieces due to previous debt it's likely she doesn't want to impact it further. So if the OP explains that the reference doesn't impact the score maybe that already resolves things?

But I agree, I would also want to see references for all four.

Comment

If I do take on this family would there be a downside to her being named as a permitted occupier and not a tenant?

Comment

Why would you voluntarily choose to have one less person you can go after if there's rent arrears or damages etc.?
                    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

The possible downside of a permitted occupier is that the tenants will move out and leave the occupier in place.
                      Which seems unlikely in this case.

However, I wouldn't allow this person to live in your property.
                      They seem to be trying to hide something.
                      Find other tenants.

Comment

Originally posted by Piptrees View Post
                        If I do take on this family would there be a downside to her being named as a permitted occupier and not a tenant?
                        I find it hard to believe you're still considering these tenants, including the word if in your question, when pretty much everyone on here is warning you not to let to them.

It's a bit like that scene in Trainspotting where Begbie's mates are all waving at that bloke to stop him arguing about spilling his pint ...

Comment

Originally posted by Beswick View Post

I find it hard to believe you're still considering these tenants, including the word if in your question, when pretty much everyone on here is warning you not to let to them.
                          You are right! Too many alarm bells ringing, I need to listen to them.
                          Thanks to all for the advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Possible to end tenancy early?
                            by Hudson01
                            As said above, get the LA involved with their enviro health dept....... then speak with the housing dept given if you do not find anything else you will need emergency accommodation, but with the support of the council it may assist you. I can understand the pressure you are under with 4 children and...
                            26-09-2020, 20:50 PM
                          • Possible to end tenancy early?
                            by May79
                            I’m having a truly horrific time in my new rental property and after an incident with LL today I’ve decided I cannot stay here. I’ve signed a 12 month assured shorthold tenancy and LL is in breach of the agreed terms on multiple counts. I do not feel safe here anymore and despite the exorbitant...
                            21-09-2020, 22:07 PM
                            by Jon66
                            Speak to environmental health at your local authority. Ask them to come and look at the property with a view to taking enforcement action. As well there is usually a housing liason officer at the LA, you could speak to them too. Unfortunately bad landlords sully the industry for the rest of us, please...
                            26-09-2020, 17:16 PM
                            by May79
                            There are two landlords on my tenancy agreement, siblings. I’ve just turned the heating on for first time and found most radiators don’t work and thermostat is broken. Damp patches now appearing all over house which were clearly painted over as the paint is flaking off. I’m beside myself. I don’t...
                            26-09-2020, 15:52 PM
                          • Reply to Rent repayment order and deposit penalty
                            by AndrewDod
                            The landlord says there are arrears. You say there are not. Seems like a pretty basic background point. A little too vague on the actualities too - blurring letting himself into the property vs house (like posting a letter for example?). And if let in, then why? There would have been some reason no...
                            26-09-2020, 14:19 PM
                          • Rent repayment order and deposit penalty
                            by Itsamoopoint
                            Hello,
                            I have been a tenant in England for four years. Everything was fine on both my part and the landlords part until earlier this year. My landlord has always had a habit of letting himself in, either into the house itself or the garden,with no notice. By March,I’d had enough and sent a letter,...
                            25-09-2020, 18:19 PM
                            by boletus
                            Not quite the word I'd use for such behaviour.

I disagree with anyone profiteering from this pandemic.

The landlord being a jerk doesn't make it right.

Plus we are only hearing one side of the story, there’s a few things don’t add up....
                            26-09-2020, 11:15 AM
                            by jpkeates
                            You're right - didn't read far enough through the legislation!...
                            26-09-2020, 10:50 AM
                            by KTC
                            That's also six months at the moment....
                            26-09-2020, 10:38 AM
                            by Lawcruncher
                            !

The landlord has (a) failed to protect the deposit (b) served an invalid section 21 notice (c) entered the property on several occasions without notice (d) left abusive notes in the house and (e) served a section 8 notice on spurious grounds and you say the OP is being unreasonable....
                            26-09-2020, 09:48 AM
                          Working...
                          X