New tenant does not want to be referenced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New tenant does not want to be referenced

Potential new tenants, married couple plus their son and his wife. All 4 want to be named as tenants. Wife does not want to be referenced because of a previous debt. I'm not sure about having a named tenant without references. Can anyone advise what I should or shouldn't do? Thanks

You should look for some different tenants.

If the wife acknowledges a previous debt, that's fair enough, things happen to people.
    I'm sure there might be a reasonable explanation.

But not being referenced implies that there's other stuff to be found.
    Otherwise, you'd simply do the referencing and find the issue that she's already told you about.
    And where's the harm in that?

Anything at all that puts any doubt in your mind, move on.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Not suitable. Move-on

Comment

........Next!

Comment

Keep looking........ bells ringing all over the place.

Comment

Given it's four people to reference and not at an insignificant cost if you like the family and they have a good income I would be tempted to reference just her first and see what the results say. I can overlook say one missed mobile phone bill if they were moving at the same time and it was an oversight. If you find anything substantial I would walk away. You could keep showing the place until the reference came back.

Just my personal view

All the best

Comment

Thanks for responses so far. Apparently it was a significant debt that has been cleared with a DRO but she doesn't want to be referenced as it will affect her credit rating. That’s her problem not mine?

Comment

If its a DRO from what I understand when you say cleared that's for people who don't try to pay down the debt and want it written off effectively walking away from it. I find it strange that someone married has a DRO and the partner has not helped them pay it down.

I'm not an expert just my personal view, I'd let them walk on by unless they could give me all the documentation that showed it was unavoidable, i.e. created by a health condition but even then I firmly believe people should pay there debt's, by writing them of and walking away it just means the rest of us have to pay for it indirectly.

All the best

Comment

Maybe tell her it's a condition of your insurance that all tenants are checked and referenced fully, if you want to continue to consider them.

I'd have walked away by now though - unless there isn't much demand in your area.

Can't help but feel there's something she's trying to hide (five figure debt for unpaid rent, maybe ?). When I worked as a Mortgage Adviser, people would still deny a CCJ even when the credit report revealed it. Then you mention the company name and it's, "Oooooh THAT CCJ ???" <cue the long story>

Comment

Thanks for replies, I think I will say a reference is necessary. It’s a high value property so not that easy to find tenants.

Comment

Originally posted by Beswick View Post
                      Maybe tell her it's a condition of your insurance that all tenants are checked and referenced fully, if you want to continue to consider them.
                      I will do that, and also check if it’s a condition of the mortgage!

Comment

Originally posted by Piptrees View Post
                        but she doesn't want to be referenced as it will affect her credit rating.
                        Landlord referencing are soft searches and doesn't affect credit score...........
                        I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Piptrees View Post
                          Thanks for responses so far. Apparently it was a significant debt that has been cleared with a DRO but she doesn't want to be referenced as it will affect her credit rating. That’s her problem not mine?
                          I suspected that might be the case.

Can someone explain to me why being referenced affects a person's credit rating?

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post

Can someone explain to me why being referenced affects a person's credit rating?
                            I think KTC's reply above is correct about landlord referencing but with regard to loans and mortgages;

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.u...s-are-declined

When you apply for credit, the lender will search your credit report to check your suitability.

Most searches are recorded, leaving a footprint on your credit history.

Repeatedly applying for credit makes it look like you have problems

Comment

Before doing much else, check them all out at............

Companies House website -
                              https://www.gov.uk/search-the-regist...pany-directors

Also Bankruptcy & Insolvency Register -
                              https://www.gov.uk/search-bankruptcy...vency-register

ALSO, be sure ALL of them have completed a pre-application form which asks them if they can provide references from previous 2 LLs (if not, why not), do they have any CCJs or Bankruptcy Orders (explain if so), do they smoke, do they have pets, how long have they held current job and the annual salary before deductions.

All that can be done before you spend a penny going forward.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X