Landlord storing items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord storing items

I’ve signed my AST and I’m due to move in a couple of weeks. The flat is small, but there is space for me providing the landlord moves their things. The AST simply says ’furnished and any other effects on the inventory’. I’m yet to see and sign the inventory.

I checked in with the letting agent to confirm that only minimal items were being left eg bed, sofa and ask that crockery and kitchen items would be removed so I had space for my things. The response was that the landlord will leave most of it so I have everything I need. I’ve gone back to say I have my own things so there’s no need, please remove as much as possible.

Waiting for my response, but any advice if the answer is ‘no the items are staying put’? I don’t want to move in and have to leave my own things in boxes cause the place is filled with someone else’s stuff.

Thanks!

If the landlord/agent didn't confirm anything would be moved out, if it was advertised as furnished it should be pretty much as it was when you viewed it.
    The landlord/agent don't know what things you already have.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

As above.

Sounds more like "providing furnishings" than "storing items" to me.
      There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

You won't get an inventory yet. We don't do them that far in advance of the tenancy starting, it isn't best practice. We aim togto in no more than 48 hours before the tenancy starts.

Just as we try to get to the check out the day the tenancy ends, Bank Holidays and Sundays allowing.

But it sounds as though you have rented a furnished property. The landlord doesn't have to remove anything and if you choose to store their furnishings you had best do it well!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Possible to end tenancy early?
          by Hudson01
          As said above, get the LA involved with their enviro health dept....... then speak with the housing dept given if you do not find anything else you will need emergency accommodation, but with the support of the council it may assist you. I can understand the pressure you are under with 4 children and...
          26-09-2020, 20:50 PM
        • Possible to end tenancy early?
          by May79
          I’m having a truly horrific time in my new rental property and after an incident with LL today I’ve decided I cannot stay here. I’ve signed a 12 month assured shorthold tenancy and LL is in breach of the agreed terms on multiple counts. I do not feel safe here anymore and despite the exorbitant...
          21-09-2020, 22:07 PM
          by Jon66
          Speak to environmental health at your local authority. Ask them to come and look at the property with a view to taking enforcement action. As well there is usually a housing liason officer at the LA, you could speak to them too. Unfortunately bad landlords sully the industry for the rest of us, please...
          26-09-2020, 17:16 PM
          by May79
          There are two landlords on my tenancy agreement, siblings. I’ve just turned the heating on for first time and found most radiators don’t work and thermostat is broken. Damp patches now appearing all over house which were clearly painted over as the paint is flaking off. I’m beside myself. I don’t...
          26-09-2020, 15:52 PM
        • Reply to Rent repayment order and deposit penalty
          by AndrewDod
          The landlord says there are arrears. You say there are not. Seems like a pretty basic background point. A little too vague on the actualities too - blurring letting himself into the property vs house (like posting a letter for example?). And if let in, then why? There would have been some reason no...
          26-09-2020, 14:19 PM
        • Rent repayment order and deposit penalty
          by Itsamoopoint
          Hello,
          I have been a tenant in England for four years. Everything was fine on both my part and the landlords part until earlier this year. My landlord has always had a habit of letting himself in, either into the house itself or the garden,with no notice. By March,I’d had enough and sent a letter,...
          25-09-2020, 18:19 PM
          by boletus
          Not quite the word I'd use for such behaviour.

I disagree with anyone profiteering from this pandemic.

The landlord being a jerk doesn't make it right.

Plus we are only hearing one side of the story, there’s a few things don’t add up....
          26-09-2020, 11:15 AM
          by jpkeates
          You're right - didn't read far enough through the legislation!...
          26-09-2020, 10:50 AM
          by KTC
          That's also six months at the moment....
          26-09-2020, 10:38 AM
          by Lawcruncher
          !

The landlord has (a) failed to protect the deposit (b) served an invalid section 21 notice (c) entered the property on several occasions without notice (d) left abusive notes in the house and (e) served a section 8 notice on spurious grounds and you say the OP is being unreasonable....
          26-09-2020, 09:48 AM
        Working...
        X