Green Homes Grant confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Green Homes Grant confusion

I'm a bit confused about some of the things in the article in LLZ news. Can somebody help me please?

1) "Announced on 9th July by Chancellor Rishi Sunak, the £2 billion scheme will fund up to two-thirds of the cost of home improvements for some 600,000 properties with a cap of £5,000."

but further down it says

"Households on low income will receive vouchers covering 100% of the cost of the improvements, up to a maximum of £10,000."

Does this mean the tenant can apply for the grant and get 100%, or does the LL have to apply and only get up to 2/3 of the cost?

2) "MHCLG says these measures could help landlords save up to £600 a year on their energy bills."

How does this work if the T is paying the energy bills? Or does this only apply to HMOs and student lets?

I don't think anyone knows for sure yet.

I can't imagine that it makes sense for a tenant to get a grant to improve a home they don't own (and can't actually modify) or for landlords to be given the 100% grant to improve a business asset.

There's a reasonable chance that landlords will be excluded altogether other than for improvements to their own homes.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks for replying so quickly, jpkeates.

I was hoping to replace some wooden doors for my tenants, with upvc using this scheme

Comment

I've registered here: https://www.grantscheme.uk/default.asp

It gives you an option to register as a LL.

Comment

I would get a quote before the scheme kicks off, as I'm sure they will all increase their prices, so it may actually be cheaper to do it now, then go through the scheme with the backlog and process and waiting to get the cash back, etc.

I would also wait until there is more clarity, as like most of the recent communications from the gov, have lacked the details.

Comment

I would have thought you would have to be the homeowner, not the tenant, and there's no details yet as to what it will cover, insulation/windows/boilers etc etc
            They will probably exclude LL, they like to think that we're all rich enough not to need a grant.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
              I've registered here: https://www.grantscheme.uk/default.asp

It gives you an option to register as a LL.
              That's just some random private company using the scheme to collect people's details - the LL registration option doesn't mean a thing.

Comment

https://www.grantscheme.uk/default.asp

A company call Add Blue Ltd just collecting data.

Their latest annual accounts for 2018 show net assets of a whopping £4 so hardly ready nor qualified to help you.

Comment

Originally posted by weirdfish View Post
                  IThey will probably exclude LL, they like to think that we're all rich enough not to need a grant.
                  Sadly this is likely to be true, which will simply mean that tenants will stay in their cold and not very well insulated homes whilst home owners get the grant and improve their comfort and utility bills..... hey ho.

Comment

Thank you everyone. Yes, I had thought they'd put the prices up but I've recently had some doors replaced so I have an idea of how much it should be.

Comment

Relatedly, has anyone had experience of claiming grants from the government for energy efficiency works. For example, this scheme in London does allow the LL to apply if the tenant is eligible.

I am considering applying as my rented flat uses old storage heaters and the bills can be large if not carefully used.

https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/defa...t_191204_0.pdf

Comment

This is the approved scheme by the gov. https://www.simpleenergyadvice.org.uk/

Comment

Hi all,

I have a question re the green homes scheme and hopefully more detail has now been announced...

My understanding is that before qualifying for secondary measures such as new double glazing, you must first apply for a primary home improvement such as loft installation or wall insulation.
                          However I have read that the secondary measure cannot exceed the value of the primary measure. I ask because I am in the process of buying a property which has single glazed windows and was hoping to utilise the scheme to fund the majority of this.

But if I wasn’t planning on doing any other energy efficiency measures to satisfy the primary stage then it doesn’t really help me, does it?

Im not going to install £2,000 worth of insulation which the house doesn’t need, just to get a £2,000 grant towards double glazing... this wouldn’t save me any expenditure.

Am I right in my thinking?

thanks in advance 👍

Comment

Why wouldn't you spend £2000 on insulation to get £2000 off double glazing... you get double glazing AND insulation!

Edit: Just re-read this, I'm being dopey... carry on *whistles innocently*

Comment

If these grants are for owner occupiers only I guess one could move into their own property (if it is unoccupied) for the duration of these works and thereafter reconsider and decide the time is right for letting it out? I heard many politicians were very successful with regularly swapping where they had their main residency...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X