What if scenario.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if scenario.

What if your tenant leaves without paying bills and council tax? He has bought property abroad, no forwarding address, not answering emails and has changed phone number. A relative has taken up residence in his absence. I have an awful feeling that by the time we get him out there will be a load of unpaid bills on top of the unpaid rent.

Is anyone paying any rent?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

No, nobody paying anything.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblepebble View Post
        No, nobody paying anything.
        Is that relative technically a squatter? The agreement is not on their name kick those scumbags out. But i could be wrong so double check with a solicitor.

Comment

Did you notify the relevant organisation of the new T, when they signed the agreement? If so you will not be liable for the unpaid bills from the council or utilities companies, it would be up to them to track and get the money back from the T. All you need to do is gain possession once you have it notify the companies involved and pass on the meter readings etc, and from that day onwards the payment of the bill will be on the LL.

Comment

Originally posted by ash72 View Post
            Did you notify the relevant organisation of the new T, when they signed the agreement? If so you will not be liable for the unpaid bills from the council or utilities companies, it would be up to them to track and get the money back from the T. All you need to do is gain possession once you have it notify the companies involved and pass on the meter readings etc, and from that day onwards the payment of the bill will be on the LL.
            The new person (not tenant in my eyes) hasn't signed anything - he has just moved in.

Comment

Your possession would be for the person on the tenancy agreement, get possession in the first instance, once bailiffs remove all persons at the property change the locks, inform the utilities companies etc.

Comment

As above, provided you notified the utility providers and CT at the start of the tenancy, this isn't your issue.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X