Flat unsafe to live in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat unsafe to live in

Hi sorry if this a long post. I rent a flat in England on AST which commenced in May this year. There are no rent arrears.

The day I moved in the electrics tripped out. When electrician arrived it was established a water leak from upstairs flat had got into electrics. Switches repaired etc. However the Landlord (who owns flat above and one below) refused to have the leak repaired. I had no more problems until last Thursday night when I suddenly had water coming through kitchen ceiling. The electrics all tripped. There is a hole in the ceiling. Water was that bad my floor has bowed and the water carried on into the flat below.

The landlord was called immediately and initially refused to send anyone out. I suggested calling a builder she had used before and reluctantly she agreed to that. He was there in minutes. He said my flat was dangerous as there was possibility of ceiling collapsing and / or floor collapsing and that the electrics were unsafe - every trip including the big main ones have gone. After the Landlord refusing to arrange emergency accomodation the builder got on to Council and I was put in a hotel till Monday. They have stated that it is the Landlords responsibility to arrange alternate accomodation and her insurance needs to deal with it.

The Landlord has refused to give insurance details. And has refused to take any calls.

This evening she has sent a text message saying "the flat has been fully inspected and is completely safe, no works will be carried out and I have to move back in". There is only one set of keys to the flat and I have them with me (I changed locks when I moved in).

Incidentally there is no Gas Certificate and the EPC expired a few years ago.

Can any give any advice please? I'm disabled and don't have my mobility scooter or medication etc

Thanks in advance

Get in touch with your local authority on Monday, start with environmental health.
    I'd also speak to your local MP and possibly your local newspaper.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

100% agree. When I had a difficulty at work contacted local councillor and resolved within 24 hours. Depends on your M.P. Some get wrapped up in work which bring them greatest return.
      Is it in Shelters remit ?
      Best Wishes

Comment

I agree with what others have said. You are legally better placed than you might think if there is no EPC or gas certificate. I suggest collecting your medicines at the very least

Comment

Thank you. My local Councillor has been in touch and is arranging Environmental Health to visit the property in the morning. He's also trying to arrange further temporary accommodation which brings me to a second question and not sure if it should be separate post but I have two service cats (I'm Epileptic and they pick up seizures before I have them). One is named on Tenancy as a service animal so will be need to be included in temporary accommodate?

Comment

As long as you have informed the housing dept. at the council that you have pets, they will find suitable accommodation.

Comment

Not sure, but I hope so, but believe refusing to accept an animal giving medical support would be considered unfair. discrimination. Pleased to hear you have a committed local councillor working to support you.

Comment

Is it just me who is slightly put back that the tenant has changed the locks upon moving in? Is that common behaviour?

Comment

I believe that all new tenants should change the locks if they want. After all, how do you know if a key has be copied in the past by a previous tenant.

As long as they put the original lock back when they finish, then there's no harm

Comment

As a LL, if the T changes the locks, 1. they should inform me, and 2. they should provide a set of keys to me as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisDennison View Post
                      Is it just me who is slightly put back that the tenant has changed the locks upon moving in? Is that common behaviour?
                      Well, it means that if they lose their keys, then it is no way your responsibility to sort it.

Comment

Thank you all so much for advice last week re my flood etc. Well returned to flat with EH doing full inspection and should have report tomorrow but half an hour ago flat flooded again from upstairs! Rang {Estate Manager Name removed} and have been told it's fine to have no electric and water coming through lights and they will get a plumber sometime next week and no electrician! What's my legal position please? I've rung Council and awaiting call back. LL has also refused to pay any compensation for my property destroyed in last 3 floods since May and all from her flat above! She's told me to sue her which I will but would rather just make a cost agreement get it paid and move but she's giving false bad references and as you know they cost so can I include in claim?

Comment

Get some evidence. Can you communicate with Estate Manager by email or text. Then you will have printed proof of their behaviour.
                          Statute of Limitations allows 6 years to make a claim. Wait till you are settled with a good landlord then begin your case.
                          Let's hope for help from EH.

Comment

I've sent video of water coming through via watsapp to Landlord, Council have tried to contact to arrange emergency accomodation but they have blocked numbers

Comment

I have screenshot all text messages

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X