Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issues with tenant

Hi,

Long story short i had tenants living in my house for 10+ years. They have not paid rent since January 2020. All of them moved out and since June we have been exchanging messages with them. They claim that the Wife is still living there and they have no communicate or a contact number to give to me but when ever we go and knock on the door nobody is home. They keep saying they have no communication with the Woman that is staying there and that if i want her to leave i need to get a court order. I hired a solicitor we sent a S8 notice and an abandonment notice. Couple days later we found squatters in the house and when we said we are going to call the police they ran off. i called locksmith we recovered the property. The tenants took all their belongings and just left us rubbish to throw away. Also my solicitor found out their is a redirection service in place as he posted the S8 notice through the post. We took pictures of the house and videos of the house and it was in a very bad condition. Also the squatters that they allowed in as they opened the door with a key were doing drugs in the house they were smoking cannabis which i also took pictures of the joints that were left on the table etc... We started refurbishing the house after 25+ days the council contacted my solicitor saying we did an illegal eviction... And if i do not let them back in the council will take further action. Now whats the worst that can happen? As i wont let those scumbags back in. Now i am thinking they are doing all of this to get a council house.

Have you saved the messages?

Comment

Yes i have

Comment

Presumably you've spoken to the person who wrote to you about this?

If not, I would explain the situation. (You might want to forget to mention the messages about the wife living there.) I can't believe they would still take action, but I would tell them to crack on if they think they have a case.

Comment

What about the utilities and council tax, were they still in the tenants name? The fact there was a mail direction may indicate the t moved out and be useful evidence. Do you happen to have any photos of the property taken while the tenants were living there?

Comment

I have now changed the council taxes name from the tenant. No i do not have any images of the property when the tenants were living there. I have sleepless nights and a lot of stress because of these scumbags.

What is the worst case scenario in this situation? As i do have couple good points that nobody lives there. Its not like i just went and changed the locks and kicked the tenants out and made them homeless.

Comment

Stackkk - I sympathise. I wish our tenant would just disappear. However he has moved back to his native country and bought property there. He has kindly allowed his relative to move in who is now living rent free (last rent payment was March). I have no idea what is happening about bills and council tax being paid. There will be a can of worms by the time we get the property back.

Comment

Originally posted by Stackkk View Post
                We started refurbishing the house after 25+ days the council contacted my solicitor saying we did an illegal eviction... And if i do not let them back in the council will take further action. Now whats the worst that can happen? As i wont let those scumbags back in. Now i am thinking they are doing all of this to get a council house.
                Well the worst that can happen is that you are ordered to let the tenants back into the property and you are fined or sent to prison.
                Not that I'd expect that to happen for a second, but that is the worst outcome I can imagine possible.

What's more likely to happen is that your solicitor or you give your side of the story and the council decide that they have no chance of winning their case (such as it is) and nothing further happens.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by pebblepebble View Post
                  Stackkk - I sympathise. I wish our tenant would just disappear. However he has moved back to his native country and bought property there. He has kindly allowed his relative to move in who is now living rent free (last rent payment was March). I have no idea what is happening about bills and council tax being paid. There will be a can of worms by the time we get the property back.

I am very sorry to hear that! It is disgusting that us landlord have nearly no rights. The law just seem to be on the tenants side... I hope you will recover your property ASAP! TBH you should call the police and kick them out as squatters...

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                    Well the worst that can happen is that you are ordered to let the tenants back into the property and you are fined or sent to prison.
                    Not that I'd expect that to happen for a second, but that is the worst outcome I can imagine possible.

What's more likely to happen is that your solicitor or you give your side of the story and the council decide that they have no chance of winning their case (such as it is) and nothing further happens.

Yeah hopefully nothing further happens but the Woman is claiming that she lives there and that i kicked her out and throw her belongings etc...

We work very hard to pay off our mortgage and then when we rent out our property we face issues like this which really upsets me as LL nearly have no rights...

Comment

It's not an issue about what rights landlords have.
                      A crooked person is telling lies about you - I'd ask your solicitor to mention defamation in any response.
                      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                        It's not an issue about what rights landlords have.
                        A crooked person is telling lies about you - I'd ask your solicitor to mention defamation in any response.

I have my solicitor has sent the council a respond lets see what will happen now.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X